KTM 690E - All Things Suspension Related

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by bigborefan, Jan 10, 2009.

1. coarsegoldkid

coarsegoldkid Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The owners manual for the 690 Enduro R has instructions for adjusting the sag for the shock. I laughed to myself when the instructions say to remove the seat and side cover and remove shock. I think they forgot to mention a few other items to access the shock. No instruction for adjusting the sag for the forks. Seems odd. Any thoughts on this?
  2. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a standard 690 you have to remove the fork caps and either add or remove the plastic preload packers.
    Or you can fit the KTM Hard Parts preload adjustable fork caps for EXC
  3. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. coarsegoldkid

Oddometer:
    Thanks ktmmitch however those preload adjustable fork caps are no longer available as far as I can tell. I'll adjust with the spacers.
  5. coarsegoldkid

Oddometer:
  6. MrHix

MrHix Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just called Big Dan @ Munn Racing & they still have them: 48600074S9.

Cheers,

MrHix
  7. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
  8. coarsegoldkid

Oddometer:
    Thanks MrHix and head2wind
  9. coarsegoldkid

Oddometer:
    Well after much eying and thinking about how I was going to extricate the shock from my 690 and still puzzled I watched a video on the Slavens web site. I just didn't want to believe I had to take so much stuff off the bike and how much time it would take. Slavens took the mystery out of it.
    The only bug in the ointment was the lower tank fastener system. KTM used red "hold forever" thread locker. As per Rally Raid's video on the sub-frame bolt replacement modification I used my air wrench to remove the right side bolt then as in the video I lubed the bolt and reinstalled. Then to the left side it was locked in very tight. The air tool didn't budge it. I tried again and it ripped the bolt in two. But the offending bolt and bushing tapped right out. Now the lower tank mod is complete. With the lower tank bolts out the tank and the upper bolts loosened it and the whole electronic connector and battery stuff you see is free to rotate above the bike. After that the rest was fairly easy. Even a cave man can do it. Next time I need to remove the shock it shouldn't be to time consuming.
    I also removed the forks. Super Plush Suspension will do the voodo that they do so well on both shock and forks.
    To complete the Rally Raid upper tank bolt modification one removes the rear screws that hold the airbox. Then loosen the clamp from injection intake to airbox. With more pull than you think lift up on the rear of airbox to pop it off the throttle body. Now you can reach the back side of the top tank bolts. Space is certainly a premium on this bike.
  10. gen

gen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. lightfighter

lightfighter where does this go?

Oddometer:
    The x-challenge community seems inclined to spend large cash to get rid of an air shock, no?
  12. Dagwood_55

Dagwood_55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    On my old XChallange, I felt like I was sitting in a Big Rig Semi Truck Air suspension seat.

But in all honesty, as much as I hated that shock, when properly dialed in/aired up, they were'nt too bad. Just way too much trouble to change the PSI.
  13. Bofaxrunner

Bofaxrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have recently picked up a set of open cartridge WP forks off of a 2010 dirt bike. I am having them sprung and serviced currently. The back end is getting one of the Rally Raid/Tractive suspension 275mm rear adventure shock. This should be a big improvement to my 2008 with its sad 250mm of front and rear travel. I am hoping this brings the suspension together. I will post back when its all together and ridden.

Hope the rear shock gets here soon:
    http://www.ktmtwins.com/rally-raid-ktm-690-enduro-adventure-shock-absorber

-Kevin
  14. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can I ask why not the 300mm shock to match the 300mm of the new forks?
  15. Bofaxrunner

Oddometer:
    The 300 will not work on the 08. The rear brake cylinder is an issue. The guys at Rally raid suggested I drop the forks in the trees 20mm and I will be happy with the setup. If I could have gone the 300 route, I would have.
  16. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    got it thanks
  17. Mudguts

Mudguts when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer:
    Drop the forks 13mm that's were I found my sweet spot but we are all different
  18. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Do you know what exactly is different? Is it the MC itself, the frame bracket, the pedal, or something else?
  19. Biped

Biped In the middle

Oddometer:
    This seems odd to me. I do not recall any difference in frame setup from '08 to '11. Anyone care to share some pics of the rear brake master area. The RR store page does not mention specific model years for the 300 mm. In either case, you can adjust the 300 mm down a but if you have clearance issues. You cannot adjust the 275 mm up any further.
  20. Bofaxrunner

Oddometer:
    I am following the advise of John at RallyRaid. It might be something other than the rear brake master. Here was his message to me:

Hi,
    best option for the 08 is our 275mm travel shock, then fit EXC forks, and slide them through the triples by 20mm, you will never believe the difference.
    regards
    John __________________
    Vendors Thread

www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk