ktm 690 enduro r or bmw gs800 adv

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by stewie100, Aug 24, 2014.

1. stewie100

stewie100 soon to be andventur

Oddometer:
    Hi there it's been awhile since I have been here and I have something to ask all of you riders.

my 2 favorite bike's are the ktm 690 r and the bmw gs800 adv

Now what I want to know from owner's of these bikes which is better, I understand that they are complete different bike's but they are both duel sport's and the bmw is more for travailing, an the ktm is for more off road.

But what one is nicer to own,

what one is easier to maintain

what one has better features

what one will last longer

and what one is more fun for overall use like long highways dirt roads etc.

one more thing owner's of these bike's do you like your choice or wish you got a different bike. thanks for reading :)
  2. stewie100

Oddometer:
    why no reply
  3. NVTS

NVTS Arrivee Secteur Special

Oddometer:
    These are VERY different motorcycles. Ya might want to give google a holler and see what opinions others have already posted. Or ask about oil, tires or cup holders.:D
    Seriously, search.
  4. Jgverd

Jgverd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I own a new F800GS since 2012. From my experience I answer your questions below:

1.- But what one is nicer to own
    I believe for daily conmute the KTM win, its more light, small and agile. The GS are very much heavy and bigger.

2.- what one is easier to maintain
    I believe the GS win, routine maintenance are very easy to do. Everything is easily accesible. Depends where you live, find who has better support.

3.- what one has better features
    The GS win in comfort features for long trips and two up rides, but KTM has better racing components, run better off road and solo rides.

4.- what one will last longer
    I believe the GS win again, however any of those bike with a good maintenance and riding care will last very similar.

5.- and what one is more fun for overall use like long highways dirt roads etc.
    Depends on what you like... One is better offroad and the other one is a better traveller. You can't have one bike do all better. Think about what will be your trade Off? Comfort on highways or better offroad?? Only you know the right answer.

6.- one more thing owner's of these bike's do you like your choice or wish you got a different bike.
    I really like my choice when I bought the GS, however today I want something very different... WR450 and ride rally...
  5. centaurus70

centaurus70 n00b

Oddometer:
    I owne the 690r

I'm very happy with this bike. I use it on rallye raids, dirt roads and on road trips.

The 690 is very easy to maintain. I think KTM is very professionelle on that.

But if you will go long distance on road trps, i think the bmw is the better one.

Cheers
  6. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    KTM = Dirt Bike
    BMW = Street Bike

Which are you?
  7. stewie100

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the answer's and NVTS I have read at least 10-15 hours about theese bike's. but one thing I can never find is can the ktm do long ride's not like 1000 miles a day but shorter rides, or is it unbearable and raddles?
  8. stewie100

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the answer's and NVTS I have read at least 10-15 hours about theese bike's. but one thing I can never find is can the ktm do long ride's not like 1000 miles a day but shorter rides, or is it unbearable and raddles?

And what kind of off roading have you guys done with the 800 adv
  9. alvincullumyork

alvincullumyork Ol Two Flags Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode a brand new F800GS and it was a real big disappointment. It's really heavy and under powered. It was pretty high on my want list until it would barely lift the front wheel in first gear. It would be nice to eat up the highway miles with and maybe an easy dirt road but that's not what I want to do.

Plenty of people have taken there 690s on really long rides. Search for KTMnoah.
  10. kingrj

kingrj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    Both technically can be called dual purpose or dual sports but they fall on opposite ends of that classification. Pretty sure a 690 will go anywhere a 800 will go. Not sure the opposite is true. Not to say the 800 is a poser bike that can't off road, it can it just isn't going to be much fun when it gets real technical nor will it be as fast in the rough and it may get stuck more often leaving you huffing and puffing to push and pull it through the mud, sand or rock garden.

I think the comparison between the 800 and the 690 is close to how you'd view the KTM 690 v. the KTM 500 exc.

Lots of video out there for either bike, I like these guy for seeing the 800 in action: https://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley

No shortage of 690 videos. Have you looked at this one that compares the two? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uTyAEw5wZ8
  12. zxrider11

zxrider11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 2012 KTM 690 Enduro and frequently do 200-300 mile day rides.

A typical day ride includes combination of paved roads, gravel, two-tracks and single track riding.

We did a 1,400 mile bike trip in Michigan's upper peninsula in 5 days - no problem.

Get a nice Seat Concepts seat, the KTM touring windscreen and you can cruise all day at 65mph and get almost 60mpg.

I am -2 on the rear sprocket and am turning an indicated 4,000 rpms at 60mph, and no need to downshift to pass cars - plenty of roll-on power. Fuel range is about 150miles before the reserve light comes on.

My bike weighs about 330 pounds fully fueled.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. stewie100

Oddometer:
    first of all kingri LOL! and wow 13 hours! that's insane!

and zx rider that is a great looken bike and the seat look's fluffy :)

alvincullumyork wow really it's cool to see the difference of real people and not people on sites kissing bmw's a** so it's really lazy and slow wow well from what you are allsaying sounds like I am going to get the ktm some day :) in the far future. oh and can you one up ride with this thing?.

and what does the ktm feel like in traffic and on the highway does it not vibrate,

thanks for all of reply's keep um comin
  14. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    Don't get me wrong I'm sure the 800 is a great bike it's just not what I thought it was going to be. 500 plus pounds and only 80 hp, KTM 300 pounds and 67 hp. My friend who owns the 800 likes it a lot but I'm slowly convincing him that playing in the dirt is a lot of fun and even though he isn't afraid to get his bike dirty and lay it down he really doesn't like picking it up. He bought it so he could go on a adventure and smooth dirt roads and highways aren't that adventurous. Two different bikes for two different kind of riders both are extremely well built and serve there purpose well just differently.
  15. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    I'd 2nd ZXrider's comments, add a better seat & the lil' windscreen & the 690 is a nice little tourer. Very nimble in traffic. Engine is quite smooth for a big single.

Cheers
    Clint
  16. palmstatecrawler

palmstatecrawler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The fact that you can't buy or legally ride a bike makes it hard for me to answer your questions. If your mom says you can get a bike and you actually find a job instead of conplaining about how you cant then more may be inclined to helo you out. I think you just like to ramble on out of boredom.
  17. stewie100

Oddometer:
    plam whatever your name is please get off my fourm just cause I can't own one does not mean I can't talk about it or have a conversation about it so if your going to come to my forum that I made asking about 2 motorcycles that I like very much, and start being a a**hole about just don't I have just as much right to talk about it as anyone else
  18. stewie100

Oddometer:
    oh and thanks for the other 2 answers guys, and i like how you are all not being jerks like the other guy :) thanks for that, I already get judged enough by other people and don't want to deal with it on a motorcycle forum
  19. alvincullumyork

Oddometer:
    Read more post less.
  20. XtreemLEE

XtreemLEE Working Class Zero

Oddometer:
    Piney McPineface’s Remedial Resort (Google Maps)
    Stew, you don't have a lot of motorcycle experience I would not recommend a KTM to start with. Find something old and cheap, make sure it works first (brakes, throttle, tires, etc.) then buy it and learn. You can expect to drop it and make all kinds of beginner mistakes and it will be easy and cheap to run. I live in Caldwell if you wanna get together and discuss let me know. I need to visit northern Idaho anyways...