Oklahoma City Metro Thread

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by Dadayama, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I put 50,000+ miles on a wee storm, rode it on the TAT, parts of the CDR and I've ridden dirt bikes at Draper for years. There's no reason not to take your storm on Draper's grass track, but on the other hand there's no reason to take it out there. You could ride it around the grass track and elsewhere but I'm not sure how much fun it would be.
    I would say check out the OAT, v-strom is a great bike for that except for a little of the rougher stuff in eastern Okla.

Oklahoma Adventure Trail Link

On the wee storm you can ride highway to a section of the OAT, ride as much of it as you have time, even just a day ride, jump on a highway for an easy run home.

2. KingKroupa

KingKroupa WX Dude

Oddometer:
    I have been thinking about trying parts of the OAT but was going to wait until I got a real GPS (just using myphone for now) but I might se about trying it anyway. I was just thinking about Draper because it's close to my house.Thanks for the advice.
  3. Shawnee Bill

Oddometer:
    Yeah, a GPS is a great help riding the OAT. But I think you should be able to take an Oklahoma Gazetteer and highlight almost all of the OAT and be able to follow it. That and your phone you shouldn't have any trouble following the OAT.

4. rustytigwire

rustytigwire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had BMW R100s in olden days and could hear those valves ticking and ticking. sometimes they seemed a bit too loud so out come the feeler gauges... damn near wore that bike out keeping it on the straight and narrow.
    My mistakes to overcome were this.

1)check the clearance after you snug the keeper nut down, if it isnt just right do it again.

2) you can force the gauge in and do your clearances too tight. it just needs to touch or rub just a little, an acquired taste if you will.

3) I had a bad habit of tightening the keeper nut too much. the adjustment moves when you tighten the nut. set them "out" so that when you are snug they end up "correct"

4) do them firm but gently and check, not there? back up and do it again.

5) they will not be EXACTLY xxx distance when you are done.

6) if you are truly desparate I would come over and go thru it with you. send me a pm if you want to

Good luck
  5. Dadayama

Dadayama Constant Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey All,

The last couple of years i have attended the Arkansas 500, and it is my favorite organized ride ever.

Arkansas 500 Thread Link

The official page link

I have had a great time every time i have been. There are folks from all over, with little bikes and big bikes. I've talked this up to lots of folks on the list, and now i'm letting you know it is time to sign up. I have vacation days off from work, and will sign up my self in the next day or two.

let me know if you have any questions...

Pedro over and out
  6. Shawnee Bill

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link to the official page, finally got it to open with your link. I've been trying but failing to open that page for a few days now. (As have several others) Don't know what the deal is but it won't open for me from any other link I have seen.

Having said all that. I've been wanting to do this ride since I missed it last year but it is the same weekend as the Austin MotoGP which I have already signed up to work. I'm tempted to back out of the MotoGP but I probably won't.

7. Firestone

Firestone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How are your repairs going? I saw a DR650 at the dealer the other day and thought it might be yours.. But had Bridgestone tw42 tires.

I installed my new rear tire yesterday. Have an Acerbis 5.8 gallon fuel tank on the way to remedy the two fill ups a day blues.
  8. Mental3dge

Mental3dge Based

Oddometer:
    I did another valve adjustment yesterday with lots of useful information from rustytigwire. I think i had the exhaust valves too tight and that is what was giving me trouble. It ran much better on the interstate today than it was before. I'm going to buy the Acerbis 5.3 on Friday and a seat concepts kit as well.

Is anyone up for a meet and greet on Saturday? The weather looks pretty promising. I've never checked out Draper and it'd be pretty cool to grab a bite and check it out.
  9. OKDQ

OKDQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on going to Draper saturday or sunday to try out the new suspension.

Plus, I have a pneumatic stapler you are welcome to borrow to install your seat concepts cover it you want. I've never had much luck using the hand held staplers.
  10. Dadayama

Dadayama Constant Adventurer

Oddometer:
    yo... what are the details... what time you all going... where you eating at???

etc...
  11. rustytigwire

Oddometer:
    I am busy Sunday but would like to do the Crosstimbers again on Sat. I may or not bring accomplices. The trails should be pretty busy as weather will be nice. White 96 Ford van 4wd with wood deck mower trailer. (lazybutt hasnt got a ramp yet 4 the van) beater 06 ktm no graphics.

Mental ya did well on the valves. Glad its zoom zoom again.
  12. Firestone

Firestone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm probably going to have to work Saturday. I have a new handle though, if that helps..:evil
  13. Mental3dge

Mental3dge Based

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure what there is to eat around there but the time doesn't matter for me. Breakfast is always best though!! :dg
  14. Firestone

Firestone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where is the nice weather you are promising? That's weeks commute has been less than fun.. :ddog
  15. Mental3dge

Mental3dge Based

Oddometer:
    Saturday, the week was supposed to be crap. I've been wearing 4 layers, none windproof so my commute has been less than pleasant as well.
  16. Shawnee Bill

Oddometer:
    It's called heated gear. :wink:

17. Firestone

Firestone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been really worn out and the cold commute hasn't helped. I actually drove my truck today! :eek1
  18. rustytigwire

Oddometer:
    Its ok if you drive now n then. Cold can be brutal.
    Since we all have to work (most...some?) some days or other how about this?
    We should start a thread where we work so the riders with days off can go by and wave howdy ha ha and inspire one another.
  19. OKDQ

OKDQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm out, gotta work Saturday for sure, and maybe Sunday too. :waysad:
  20. woodzrider

woodzrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ditto here!