Tiger Tales - Dialling in the 800XC for the dirt

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by Burren Rider, Jul 6, 2011.

1. KildareMan

KildareMan Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. Hardhead

Hardhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had the idle problem with mine a while ago so I took it to the dealer. I wanted to the dealer to see it so it was an "official" problem. First of all they said they'd never heard of the problem but in the end just sprayed it with WD40 and said it was fixed. I haven't put a lot of km on it since (maybe 200km) but there haven't been any problems.

3. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt Riding my blues away

Oddometer:
    The throttle roller & stepper motor arm need some lube. WD40 is ok in a pinch, but cable lube or something that doesn't dry up is better.
    I never removed that nut at the top of the stepper motor.

Yes. The Daytona guys have figured out a Manuel Screw idle adjustment to replace the stepper motor. I don't have time to search right now. It's on a different forum
  4. MotoTex

MotoTex Miles of Smiles

Oddometer:
    After looking though the existing XC threads on ADV, and searching the Beasts and other Tiger800 forums for information, I've started a thread to reference 800XC suspension mods, reviews, sources, etc. in the hopes of pooling resources for the available options.

Having read AV-Mech's "Hobbes" thread and his praise of the improvements gained from valving and spring upgrades tuned to his weight and riding style, this would be how I would like my forks (and shock) to behave. The business that did his mods no longer exists.

If anyone else has made improvements to their suspension please consider posting up the details of who, what, where, and how you like it in the linked thread above.

Thanks!
  5. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    There was one at some point. I made this sticky thread a while back that had a link to one but then the mods started mushing things together and lots of information was buried.:baldy So, the sticky is now basically a waste.
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841372

I am running stock forks and Ohlins rear. I don't have much time of it yet but I can only imagine how sweet ass it will be! :evil
  6. C5INC

C5INC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know this has been discussed at length with cleaning and greasing being the most common cure for stepper motor issues. 5000 miles on my 2012 and it's time for my second motor! My dealer tech is pissed at Triumph telling him they don't have a fix and really don't care! When I get my bike to him he wants to see if there is any way to cut up an old oiled foam air filter to wrap the motor to keep the dirt out. Might work. Anybody tried this?
    Also, I wanted to set the idle speed up just a little but he tells me there is no way to adjust that. Is that true?
  7. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    I think you can do that using TuneECU.
  8. C5INC

C5INC Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You would think the Dealer software would do it too. Frickin electro-gizmo bikes!
  9. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    They probably can but it'd be out of spec. and if anything went wrong they'd be blamed.
  10. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're absolutely correct.

I pulled the tank back, on my 1050, today. Cycled the key, started the bike, and whatnot. The aforementioned SAI solenoid makes some noise, but, the stepper motor is definitely the "faxing" noise. What's weird is that it makes a bunch of racket, but, doesn't move the whole time it's sending. Mystery solved, again. I shall bow down to Mark. :bow
  11. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)

Haha -- don't bow down to me, I learned this from other people in the main Tiger 800 thread. Rob Dirt was one of the early investigators of this issue. I just put other people's findings into practice when I had the issue myself on the Trans-Labrador Highway. :D

--mark
  12. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    AFAIK, the Tigger is not the only bike with a stepper motor - pretty sure it's standard now on FI bikes isn't it ?

Someone did come out with a manual idle adjuster for the 675 that I think should fit ?
  13. internalcombust

internalcombust What a blast!

Oddometer:
    It comes as part of the 675 race kit.
  14. backwoodsKLR

backwoodsKLR Ride more, Post Less.

Oddometer:
    Doesn't the stepper motor also keep the throttle bodies from slamming shut when the throttle is released from high RPM's, which can cause the motor to stall? (thus causing rear end to lock, slide, crash, etc)
  15. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    That is very interesting. A friend of mine with a Triumph Sprint is experiencing an issue where when he lets of the throttle, the revs don't die down immediately and it takes a second or 2 for the revs to drop down. I wonder if the stepper motor is causing his issue - I thought it was more likely sticking cables or something but sounds like it could be the stepper.
  16. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    :thumb

I thought a third-party came out with a kit also ?

Anyway, they are out there.
  17. RED05

RED05 @motomedic_rob

Oddometer:
    Could be tight cables on the throttle side, has he zip tied them to tight or changed his bar profile?
  18. Mr_Chris

Mr_Chris Get away, evil car!

Oddometer:
    That's the ECU. :lol3
  19. RED05

RED05 @motomedic_rob

Oddometer:
    ABS won't turn off - just shows SIA - has anyone had this happen? And is everyone turning their ABS off when off road? Last year I always turned it off without an issue.
  20. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    Nope, never turn mine off. Even on a pretty tough trail with lots of steep ascents and descents.