Northern Riders SIGN IN!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ZZR_Ron, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Lappeman

Lappeman He's Down Again!

Oddometer:
    Made it! Sunny and 16c here today, sunny and 22c for the next 4 days forcasted :evil

Had Moab pizza tonight and gearing up for riding tomorrow! Gonna be awesome :clap

Glenwood Canyon near the turn off to Aspen Colorado
    [​IMG]

Me along the Colorado river about 20kms from Moab
    [​IMG]

La Sal Mountains along Moab
    [​IMG]

Riding photos tomorrow...I swear
  2. Lappeman

Oddometer:
    Woke up to an awesome day and the bikes were still in the parking lot :evil Everyone dressed warm...too warm, it warmed up quickly to low 20c and the layers came off once we reached Picture Rock. We took some photos and did a quick loop around the big rock, that's when BackRoader decided to take a nap on the rocks :eek1 Uprighting his bike, we found that it was fine and BackRoader said he was fine too, so we carried on. We were on Kane Creek Rim Overlook road and the road was quickly becoming a cow trail. I pushed on ahead thru the deep sand and onto some Slick Rock Hills trying to find the route to the overlook. I quickly realized that we were not going to get Mark96's KLR down a rocky hill and back up, so we turned around and headed for another area. The scenery was so spetacular where we were that it didn't matter if we made it or not :D

BackRoader napping on the rocks
    [​IMG]

2whlrider on Kane Canyon Rim road
    [​IMG]

Mark96 on same road
    [​IMG]

We crossed the highway and went up to an overlook in the hills near La Sal. After that we wound our way down thru Browns Hole road and back around over to hwy 46 where whe again left the road in search of a route thru to hwy 191 that leads back up to Moab. Not long after starting this road, we quickly got into a bad area of wash on a hill. I scoped out further up and the road was non-existant, so we started down. It was almost more than BackRoader and Mark96 could handle, so they ended up walking and pushing their bikes down. After some tense moments we were back on the highway and heading up another road that looped back around to the town of La Sal. At this point, 2whlrider was on reserve and refilling his bike with spare gas and BackRoader was low on gas. We biked up highway 191 back to Moab where BackRoader and 2whlrider headed to the hotel pool and Mark96 and I headed up to Sand Flats road and to Slickrock. At Slickrock we took photos of the old Lions Back jeep climb and then headed to what we at first thought was Baby Lions Back but turned out to be the Start of Hells Revenge. It was a nice climb up and then down. Heading to the Slickrock bike trail, we stumbled on the real Baby's Lion Back. It was much steeper and my bike wanted to wheelie but I managed to keep the front end down and crested the top. Once back down we headed to Slickrock and ran it a bit and then took in the spectacular scenery and the sunny warm weather before heading back to the hotel.

Getting into trouble
    [​IMG]

Looking down from the starting hill on Hells Revenge
    [​IMG]

On top Hells Revenge start
    [​IMG]

Mark96 at the bottom of Babys Lions Back
    [​IMG]

On top of Baby Lions Back
    [​IMG]

Awesome first day, can't wait to see what tomorrow holds :clap
  3. PiffleMaster

PiffleMaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great pics! Thanks for sharing.

I may be in the neighbourhood in a few days, hoping to leave the 'Peg this week enroute Victoria; drop me a PM as to whereabouts of your hotel. :-)
    Cheers, Brian
  4. isplat2

isplat2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good stuff Rob!
    I have to do Moab someday. Soon.
  5. Lappeman

Oddometer:
    Another beautiful day, plus 70f and sunny! We headed out this morning with the idea that we would go up the La Sal's to Geyser Pass and then head back down. The ride up was nice and we got lucky, as the road was closed just past where we turned up Geyser Pass road. It was a nice ride up until about 9,300' where snow started to appear on the road. This made things very slippery and tough going. At 10,095' BackRoader, 2whlrider and Mark96 decided to turn around and head back to a nice sunny warm pasture at about 9,700'. I continued on another 5kms to the top of Geyser Pass at 10,510' and then return quickly back down to the waiting group.

BackRoader and 2whlrider on road up La the Sal Mountains
    [​IMG]

Snow starts to appear as Mark96 pushes on
    [​IMG]

Geyser Pass
    [​IMG]

After the attempt at Geyser, we headed back into town, gassed up and headed for Gemini Bridges, which is two arches side by side with only a 6' gap between them. Think you can jump the 6' inbetween them...so did two people that I heard of. One last year, who plunged to their death over a hundred feet onto the rock below. After a few photos there, 2whlrider, BackRoader wanted to see the start of Metal Masher, so I joined them while Mark96 headed out to ride elsewhere. We went a little ways up Metal Masher so they could see what part of it was like and then headed back out to the highway and looped back to the Hotel. 2whlrider and I continued up to Slickrock while BackRoader toured the town.

On the road to Gemini Bridges
    [​IMG]

2whlrider passing the "Goonie Bird"
    [​IMG]

2whlrider on top of Gemini Bridges
    [​IMG]

Start of Metal Masher
    [​IMG]

Jumping up a little ledge
    [​IMG]

Going down some rough stuff at the start of Metal Masher
    [​IMG]

2whlrider and I visited the old Lions Back, Hells Revenge start, Baby Lions Back and Slickrock. I ran Baby Lions Back again and did a short loop on Slickrock. By now it was getting late in the day, so we headed back to the hotel and down to the pool to catch the last sun of the day and bask in the 70f sun :evil

Lappeman on Baby Lions Back
    [​IMG]

Going down
    [​IMG]

Playing on Slickrock
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. PiffleMaster

PiffleMaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great pictures!
    So where's the Hotel/Motel???
    Cheers! :freaky
  7. canuckAME

canuckAME Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You guys are definitely not in Northern Ontario anymore:rofl. Looks like a great ride:clap Have fun down there and don't break anything:D or anybody..
  8. GearDrivenCam

GearDrivenCam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes - awesome photos and really enticing report. Keep them coming!! ::lurk

Mike
  9. Dgosselin

Dgosselin n00b

Oddometer:
    All sounds like the right excitment.
    I'm from the Toronto area, and wondering if you know of the forum that caters to gatherings and trips from this area. Sorry for the bother..but some direction would be appreciated:cry
  10. Lappeman

Oddometer:

Try this and enjoy the site http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106586
  11. calan818

calan818 The CarMexican

Oddometer:
    Thanks Lappeman! Looks like Dave has an advantage with his small CC dirtbike. Do tell how the bikes are performing. Whatever you do, don't try jumping that Gemini Bridge!
  12. Lappeman

Oddometer:
    BackRoader's KLX400 and 2whlrider's KLX 250 are doing alright but they are sucking wind at higher elevation, need to change the needle setting. Mark96's KLR is a KLR, it just keeps chuging along. We're trying not to put the KLR thru any real rough stuff. BackRoader is slowing getting used to his new bike and 2whlrider had the 250 on a bit of Metal Masher and did really well. Gas mileage is a bit of an issue for the 250 but he has a 1.25 gal can with him.

Today's report coming up soon.
  13. Lappeman

Oddometer:
    Another fantastic day, what can I say...Moab is delivering :evil

We started out heading for Onion Creek road off Hwy 128 along the Colorado River. Turning onto the road I decided to run hard and fast thru this amazing Canyon. It was some of the best scenery in the area. Lots of shallow creek crossing and a steady climb up and out. Soon I was running far ahead of the guys and reached Thompson road turnoff before I realized that I missed the Rose Garden trail. I backtracked and headed across to the Rose Garden Hill. I Bounced and weaved my way down into the Canyon and was soon at the Hill. I looked at it and said, no way I'm going up there without anyone with me. It looked extremly rough and steep and that was just the first tenth of the climb. So I headed back up the other hill and up Thompson Canyon Road. I soon caught up with the guys. They were on a break, loosing a layer of clothing as it had warmed up a lot. I decided that I was going to head up Polar Mesa, which was a road off the main road that headed back into an old Uranium mine area. I told the guys I'd catch up with them again. After a fast climb up some switchbacks, I was heading into Mine country. I visited a couple of old sites and ran to the end of the road which contained some nice scenery from the cliff.

Starting off on Onion Creek road
    [​IMG]

On Onion Creek road
    [​IMG]

Rose Garden Hill...no go
    [​IMG]

View of area
    [​IMG]

Old Moab Mine and Debris
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I flew out of the area at high speed expecting to catch up to the guys but never found them...apparently their GPS and map reading skills were lacking a bit, as they ended up across the Colorado State Line :huh I continued on to Castle Valley Road and up to an radio tower at 8950'. It was a nice ride thru some huge Pines. Once back on the main road I headed out to the Highway and back to the hotel. A quick change into summer riding gear and I was heading out to try Poison Spider Mesa. The name sounds soooo cool for a ride that I had to try it. It was rated hard for the jeeps but I had to try it. By this time I was tired from the long days ride, it was getting late in the day and I was alone. So I knew I wouldn't want to get in over my head. Heading up from the parking lot, I was greeted right away with a tough accent. Bouncing and banging my way upwards, I ran thru loose rock, deep sand and steep slickrock. 3.7kms in I met my match for the day. A wall of slickrock steps that continued up around a switchback and on out of sight. End of the Line for me :eek1 No pushing it in my condition of tired, late and alone! I headed back down all the carnage that I had just went thru to reach this point and finally made it back out to the highway and back to the hotel. Day 3 done! Lots more riding to come :clap

View on Castle Valley road
    [​IMG]

Poison Spider easy stuff
    [​IMG]

Lappeman on Poison Spider
    [​IMG]

Poison Spider Mesa...No way
    [​IMG]

View from Poison Spider Mesa
    [​IMG]
  14. Eastbayview

Eastbayview Ride On

Oddometer:
    Yep, above 7000ft my 250 really looses power. (What power it has) A bigger gas tank would be handy for this kind of riding. Other than that it's been great on the rough stuff.
  15. Dgosselin

Dgosselin n00b

Oddometer:
    Laprmn
    I did enjoy your work and efforts. Is that a pipe bomb holder behind the front wheel!!
    More seriously, why the tensioner upgrade to the are under the magneto?
  16. PiffleMaster

PiffleMaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Loving the pics and the narrative Rob, thank you!
  17. Lappeman

Oddometer:
    Well, what can I say...Moab delivered again :evil Sunny and 74f

I headed out on my own this morning, aiming the Ktm past my failed Posion Spider venue and around the Moab Potash Plant. There I was on Shaffer road heading to link up with the White Rim Trail. 90 miles of ups, downs and rough riding. It was warming up quick but there was no time to stop until I was sure I would make the distance before dark. Most 4 x 4's need 2 days to cover this vast area as the trail winds along the Colorado River and offers spetacular vistas! It is a meca for Mountain bikers and I passed around 50 of them durring my 6 and a half hour, 245km journey :eek1

Moab White Rim view
    [​IMG]

On the Moab White Rim Trail
    [​IMG]

Following the Colorado river
    [​IMG]

Steep switchbacks climbing out of the canyon
    [​IMG]

It seemed like forever and around 2 thirds of the way thru I was wishing it was over but in the end I was glad I did it. Soon I was heading into Long Canyon on my way back to Moab. It was a nice short little section that ran down a canyon with a fallen rock leaning against the cliff creating an arch over the roadway. Once back in Moab I decided that was enough for today and headed to the hot tub to soak my sores.

Thru Long Canyon
    [​IMG]

Fallen Rock creating archway
    [​IMG]

Bottom section of Long Canyon
    [​IMG]

Tomorrow I hope to hook up with the guys again for a ride to Hurrah Pass and Chicken Corners! Forecast...sunny and 70f :clap
  18. PiffleMaster

PiffleMaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thumbs up! :clap
  19. Hektoglider

Hektoglider One with Life

Oddometer:
    great stuff Lappeman!

I am still riding every other day. Put the highway bikes away yesterday. Not going too far, but feels good to get out.
    [​IMG]
    pretty quiet on here other than the Moab stuff.
  20. PiffleMaster

PiffleMaster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting looking pavement there....