Iowa Roll Call

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by bellbear, Jul 29, 2008.

1. scooter noob

scooter noob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping to be there between 10 and 11am. I'll be riding my grey, ted and black G650 xmoto.
    No problem on that stuff as l always wear full gear. ;)
  2. M.S.R.

M.S.R. The Tenere Rider

Oddometer:
    Great ride today
    Windy!!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. NC_Kat 750

NC_Kat 750 until the next ride

Oddometer:
    I've made it to that the past two years and that is where I got my first taste of the 800 XC :tb
    As of right now, it doesn't look like I'll make it this year.

4. NC_Kat 750

NC_Kat 750 until the next ride

Oddometer:
    Jealous! I had to go to work for about 6 hrs today. You're right about the wind!

5. NEredhead

NEredhead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Iowa!

I am looking for ride ideas leaving from Bellevue, NE and heading into Iowa. Looking for day trips up to 3-4 days. I ride a Yamaha Vstar 1100, so no off-roading for me. Unfortunately never had the chance to learn the 'dirty' side of riding.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.
  6. Deacon Blues

Deacon Blues n00b

Oddometer:
    What is this? I recently moved back to Iowa and have never heard of it.
  7. scooter noob

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Here you go.
  8. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check out this site:

https://www.iowabyways.org/

If you want to ride across the state you cant go wrong riding The Great River Road on the east state line - beautiful. I live on the beginning of the Historic Hills byway in the southeast part of the state in a small town called Moravia.

If your coming thru your more than welcome to stop......we're on the tent space thread and we love to put up riders coming thru - save some money and sleep on our couch.
  9. argentcorvid

argentcorvid Some Guy

Oddometer:
    its not just a run-of-the-mill dealer open house. The place is FULL of vintage triumphs (for sale). Various other buildings have other treasures as well. If you have the opportunity I highly recommend you go at least once.

<small>Posted during work using magic</small>
  10. ZLTFUL

ZLTFUL Optimistic Pessimist

Oddometer:
    213 miles yesterday around central and SE Iowa with my wife.
    Really digging the Sena headsets. Had Chatterbox before but having all the communication without the wires is very nice.
    The Chatterbox had a better speaker set and could go louder (I wear earplugs when riding) but the feature set of the Senas more than makes up for it.

Also went dual sport shopping on Saturday. Ostensibly for the wife to try on the CBR250R and Ninja 300. But I am leaning towards a DR650, DR400Z or Husky Terra for dirt duty.
    Was considering a spare set of wheels with TKC80s mounted for the Multi but I keep factoring in cost of crashing the Multi versus crashing a dirt oriented single...
  11. M.S.R.

M.S.R. The Tenere Rider

Oddometer:
    We had the Chatterbox too
    Gave them away and have the Senas now.
    So much :clap without wires.
  12. ZLTFUL

Oddometer:
    Exactly. Love that I can have my phone charging in my tank bag without wires running up the inside of my jacket to my helmet.
    Plus the turn by turn directions from the GPS will be nice when I am going someplace.
    Of course, it now means I want to upgrade to a newer GPS since my old Garmin 2820 is a bit long in the tooth. Hehe.
  13. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ryan, I went with the poor man's GPS. My iPhone 4S, MotionX GPS app, a LifeProof case (which I already had), and LifeProof bar mount. I finished up with a USB adapter in my little glove box so that I can charge anything by USB, including the iPhone.

[​IMG]
  14. FreeHugger

FreeHugger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Orangecicle,

I too run my iphone 4s in a similar fashion but have up to this point just been using the standard gps or emailing myself google map routes. Any particular reason you chose to go with the MotionX GPS ap?

Thanks, Paul
  15. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    I am doing an off-road trip through Colorado in Sept and needed a topographical map tool that I could load tracks into. MotionX does that and more. They also have a "Drive" version, but I needed the topo functionality.
  16. FreeHugger

FreeHugger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I too will be doing off road trip through Southern Colorado in route to Moab this summer. Thanks for the tip.

17. scooter noob

Oddometer:
    Where did you pick up the case and mount from? I was looking at using my phone for a gps as well.
  18. lmyamen

lmyamen Been here awhile

Oddometer:

p.s I saw you on 235 east this morning.
  19. ZLTFUL

Oddometer:
    I have tried using the combo and for my mtn bike I like it but for moto, it doesn't seem to be able to stream as fast as I ride. :evil

I have no complaints about my 2820...other than it is just old. I have lifetime maps and all that and it can be loaded fairly quick.
    Honestly, I rarely use the GPS for actual routes and instead just sort of go where the road takes me. As long as I head in the general direction of my destination, I am good. hehe.
  20. Orangecicle

Oddometer:
    The case and mount both came from eBay. They're both LifeProof products. I also got a USB adapter from eBay for $16. I think I spent about $80 for everything.