e'splaine to me lane splitting

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by sea2summit, Aug 25, 2013.

1. sea2summit

sea2summit Is this thing on?

Oddometer:
    So moving to California and just about daily I'm seeing every imaginable bike lane splitting. Is this legal in CA?

Maybe I've lead a sheltered life but I keep waiting for one of these dudes to get creamed, how do you do this safely/judge conditions?
  2. theGrinch

theGrinch SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer:
  3. sea2summit

sea2summit Is this thing on?

Oddometer:
  4. psychohawk

psychohawk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, plenty of info out there, both on this site and numerous other sites.
  5. Tyler

Tyler Miss Demeanor

Oddometer:
    Tough crowd... :rofl

[​IMG]
  6. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    Just do it!
  7. dunerat

dunerat WTF? Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap:poser....epic:rofl
  8. mongox

mongox ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer:
    Its legal, and safe when done right. Take your time, get comfortable with it and do it at your own pace and comfort level.
  9. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
  10. double_entendre

double_entendre It's nothing personal; just your existence.

Oddometer:
    Ride within your limits and comfort zone. Don't push it. It's safe, but can be dangerous if you're being stupid--e.g., going too fast, not paying attention, etc.

My personal rules of thumb (assume each is prefaced with "when safe to do so"):

• Keep an eye in the rear view mirror. You will be going faster than some riders, slower than others. Let the faster guys go past.
    • When someone moves aside to let you past, give them a little wave. Reinforce good behavior.
    • Know how wide your bike is. My FJR's mirrors are slightly wider than the saddlebags. If the mirrors clear, the bags will. I'm still adjusting to lane sharing with my GSA.
    • There will be people who won't let you pass. Just back off and wait for a safe opportunity. They're being asshats, but if they hit you, you lose.
    • Be aware that car drivers often don't see you coming and when you go past them they will be startled. Even in LA.
    There's other things, I'm sure, but that'll get you started.
  11. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    If we're going to post a list of rules, we might as well post the official rules straight from the California Highway Patrol:

12. double_entendre

double_entendre It's nothing personal; just your existence.

Oddometer:
    The thing that scares me is when I see folks splitting lanes between the carpool lane that's moving at 40+mph and the fast lane that's at a dead stop. I don't play that game.

It's not how fast you're going when you crash, it's how fast you stop.
  13. DudeClone

DudeClone Long timer

Oddometer:
    once you know how to do it well you will never want to drive a car again. ever. at least in the city. if it were made illegal tomorrow i might have to quit riding. i am 100% urban commuter, though

i have never been hated on and only honked at twice, but some drivers will hate on you and resent you, anyway. for a variety of reasons. mostly ignorance. check out this youtube vid. this guy is lane splitting well. but look at the comments section and all the Dislikes!! the objections come fast and furious. it boggles the mind

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6Sp3fHS9DtQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>