Spanking the Cow- The continuing saga of an R100GSPD at the Races

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by Stagehand, Jan 20, 2011.

1. naginalf

naginalf Handy Schtroumpf

Oddometer:
    Oh, ok. Sorry for the dumb question, I've only ever seen the little motorcycle scrollers, although at $3-500+ for a simple scroller, it looks like I finally have a use for all these returned revolution gel scrollers here at work! I know most of you don't know wtf I'm talking about, it's a lighting industry thing. However, if successful, I may be able to make these on the cheap.
  2. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    hah, if they can take two legs of a Pantera tour, they ought to be able to hold to bouncing around the front end of a bike :lol

This is probably the best one on the market right now... there are different towers you can get that will mount to either the handlebars, or better yet the steering neck on the frame.

http://www.rallymanagementservices.com/collections/frontpage/products/universal-rally-kit
  3. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:

Dunno, there was some talk about it at the time; It would be interesting to find out. Maybe he had a note from his mother :D
  4. P Rooney

P Rooney n00b

Oddometer:
    Well back from the Safari with a bit of a holiday on the way home. Have been reading what people have written and the support for Jason and the BM. I would like to thank Jason for making the effort to come downunder to do the race, and for the not give up attitude he displayed in getting the BM to the finish. I also thank all the people who have shown their support on the net and in person. It is not easy to turn up with an old bike to compete against all the latest bikes on offer. As a lot of people say 'why bother' but being an enthusiast and seeing the pleasure that others get out of it makes it all worth while. Thank you Jason and thank you to all the other enthusiasts out there. Paul
  5. Gone-Native

Gone-Native XPLORER

Oddometer:
    :thumb

And thank you, Paul, for giving Jason the opportunity to race your beautiful bike :freaky
  6. patanga

patanga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Paul & Jason,,, You guys put in a huge effort and put on a great show. All credit to you. Thanks and hope you can do it all again next year.

7. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    ...man that is so fun to watch full screen. that boxer sounds like it really ran strong.
    It appeared you were doing some pretty good speed there at the end.
    Gettin' in the Rythm'.

...kinda bends your mind when you think your doin so well on the Beeg Biike and then a 450 just blows by ... :eek1

G'donaya Stage...more now more.
  8. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    HEy!

Gday everyone, and let me say THANKS PAUL for everything, the ride, for mechanicking so well, for your help and expertise, and for your first and only post so far on ADV being in my thread :D

Hah!

Sorry I missed this before, I dont know how that happened...

But i did get turned on by my friend teh dutchie to this video: Its a really cool vid and its got good stuff but I think its B-roll stuff from the main daily videos that safari put out.

I got an email from Francesco, hes got a hankering to do the Baja 1000, and wants to know if I'd be a team with him :lol3 sounds like we'd each do half of it, maybe 250 and a rest, 250 and a rest or something. We'd use his CRF450. Sounds hilarious, right? Who cares that we dont really speak the same language, literally? :lol3 We'll figure it out. Sounds like a good deal, and I need to figure out how to put together a decent rally bike with a 300k range... crap... here's the video: My moment of glory forever preserved at six minutes, forty seconds in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhy5KPsKPAg
  9. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow! Baja?! Need a driver and a sandwich maker?:D

10. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    YES YOU ARE HIRED

Racing is fun, eh? How the hell are we going to make enough money, lol?

I am still thinking the Mexican 1000 could be an ART possiibility
  11. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    Dream bike right now?

Rooney frame, DRZ forks, R1100 rear, suppose I'll have toget two offset tires laced. Thats teh worst part.

Cant decide about an R65 hotted up motor or a regular R100.
  12. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can a Rooney frame be made to work with a 2nd gen paralever? I thought they were monolever only? I currently have my eyes on a GSPD here in Mexico just to travel and take weekend trips on for now, but eventually to convert into a second gen paralever beast-mobile. Someday. Call me para-curious.
  13. Stagehand

Oddometer:

I dont know if it will work with the oilyerear. Why not, though, you can make anything, as Paul might say. In fact he was mentioneing making on for the oilhead bikes

Man, it is the thousand bucks in offsetting a rear x 2 that is offputting. I dont even know what a Rooney frame will price out at, even for rough budget numbers.

Ugh! All that makes me think that I should either not be stupid and just put a regular decent R100 motor in it...

Or I should go full stupid and do all that R65 motor crap, as well. You only live once this lifetime. They probably wont even have airheads in the next one... it'll be all hovercraft or something.
  14. Prutser

Prutser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you know how much wheel travel you can get using the 1100 swingarm ?
  15. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    HPN lists 245mm of travel for their models using the 1100 swingarm. The 1150 swingarm is a bit shorter and will give you less.

You need to modify the subframe a bit to allow your rear wheel to travel that high.
  16. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    I wonder what a R12 or HP2 rear end would do?

Edit: Hp2 rear theoretiaclly allows for 250mm wheel travel.
  17. Clay Spinner

Clay Spinner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just watched your moment of glory on the video... brilliant! Hey... I bet many riders didn't even make the highlights! :wink:
  18. Prutser

Prutser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks AW.
    I was just wondering. Never heard how much travel they could get out of the 1100 swing arm.(in an Airhead frame)
    Not really impressive !

The unsprung weight would be the thing that worries me the most.
  19. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:

Classic :clap. There can`t be too many people that have ever done that; got their foot stuck in one, maybe, but a front wheel?
  20. Stagehand

Oddometer:
    And a back wheel as well now that you mention it! Haha! It took myself and two redshirts to lift it out :lol