Coast to Coast (and back?) with an Italian Supermodel

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by AntiHero, Jul 13, 2012.

1. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    He did; its in his signature :deal
  2. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    I laughed out loud at this one. Progress demands everything current become obsolete.

DCRider: Being accepted on ADV has been a 'holy shit' moment for me since day one. ADV riders are the most hardcore of the hardcore. I really thought I might be told to get the hell off the forum for starting a Superbike-related R/R. Another example of how ya never learn unless you experiment and take risks.

Hey John--as RxZ stated, yes, I've got a book out there....but it's a coffee-table style book (you can preview the whole thing on Blurb). I've been working on a novel, too. The beginning and the end (and a lot of random scenes in the middle) are finished. Still going to be months before it's anywhere near completion.
  3. 3B43

3B43 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Meeting in Pittsburg...PA, or CA? Too bad, was looking forward to swapping stories and track time.
  4. JohnnyWaffles

JohnnyWaffles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I guess I meant more of a novel. Glad it's in the works :freaky
  5. Trane Francks

Trane Francks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First off, forgive me for replying to a post from page 48, but I'm just working my way through this RR (EPIC is the word) and this topic is one that is dear to my heart.

AH's "sweat equity" observations are spot on the money, contingent upon an individual being able to become self-aware enough to overcome limiting programming, e.g., "You'll never amount to anything", etc. We all really do have equal opportunity to rise to our individual peak performance, but limitations are programmed into us along our development that can impede our ability to achieve our peak.

Personally, I think the meditative "in the moment" aspect of riding is entirely conducive to arriving at such self-awareness and helping oneself to overcome limiting thinking. Opportunities aren't granted by life -- that is disempowering and itself limiting thinking. Opportunities are created by right thought and right action creating synchronicity and serendipity in our daily experience. The choices we make (programmed or self-aware) along our journey define the life we create for ourselves.

In becoming self-aware and striving to patiently overcome our demons, we bootstrap serendipity to deliver unto us opportunities that will necessarily change our lives. We may not be Einsteins, but we each have the capacity to rise to our ultimate potential. It is up to each of us to step up and take on that challenge.

~~~~~

Thanks for an epic and inspiring RR. Back to page 48 I go.
  6. eightangrybears

eightangrybears Daily adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just spent the last few days (at work) reading this whole report...start to finish. It's really pretty fantastic. Your ability to get up and go is something I strive for. Your attitude towards new people and experiences is one that everyone should strive for. The world would be a much better place.

I have to say, though, trust7's comments nearly ruined this whole report for me (I hope you are still reading). If you read through this whole report, you can tell that our hero, the AntiHero, has a truly positive attitude towards people. He, aside from one occurrence in Detroit (not to say that book's cover isn't exactly what it's like inside), played it cool all the time, not judging or worrying about being judged by others. I know you want to get your piece in there (trust7) about you being right about whatever blah blah blah, but in essence, you are wrong. You were a membership away from being one of those people that posts racist insults on youtube videos for no reason. Why does anyone care about your point in all of this? Maybe PM antihero next time because all it did was try to make you look better at being a person than Dennis, which is exactly the kind of point you were trying to make (but in reverse). Let him think what he wants. Let us think what we want (I think that's the point Dennis is trying to make). As long as you are true to yourself, FTW, right? That doesn't mean that douchebags aren't still douchebags, but I think trusting yourself is key, not trying to persuade others to believe like you...sure, you may be right about all the blah blah that you wrote (I think 2 of your posts outworded 60 pages of Dennis') but why write it? It was the largest distraction from the whole story in the 113 pages so far and it was AFTER the trip. Just PM him next time and let us read what people really want to read in ride reports...THE REPORT!!!
  7. eightangrybears

eightangrybears Daily adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also would love to put my two cents in about Kriega...awesome gear and awesome folks. I live in New Orleans (what seems like aside from the track day with ducati and DV, your favorite picture taking spot) and went on a trip recently. Michael at Britkit was amazing. I asked him on a wednesday if I could get a bag (US-30) A) at a discount and B) by that friday. He basically said "Absolutely", called the manufacturer (or distributor) in atlanta, hooked up free shipping and sent me a bunch of stickers to toss on the bike, too. The gear was flawless and awesome and I am not surprised at all that he/they sent you gear. I was almost shocked you DIDN'T have the R-20 or R-30 for the trip...seems like that would have been super handy.

Dennis, your trip was awesome, your words are profound, your photos are intense and beautiful and your journey (mental and physical) was inspiring all around. If I had half the courage and enthusiasm you do, I would be twice the person I want to be. Thanks for the ride and hope to see more in the future!

PS...I am an artist also (I certainly live in the right city for it). I would love to talk art trade because I had the inkling when you got back to LA that the pieces you took pictures of were yours and that was totally confirmed by the storage picture with all the canvases in there (looks a lot like my storage locker minus a brand new ducati). I would love to do a great one of the bike or the bike and you somewhere. Check out my stuff if you feel like it (www.eightangrybears.com) and PM me if you are interested.

Thanks again for the great RR
  8. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trane Francks: "In becoming self-aware and striving to patiently overcome our demons, we bootstrap serendipity to deliver unto us opportunities that will necessarily change our lives. We may not be Einsteins, but we each have the capacity to rise to our ultimate potential. It is up to each of us to step up and take on that challenge."
    Perfectly stated. Thanks for the contribution. (Jealous--I wish I was still on page 48, too--enjoy the rest of the ride!)

eightangrybears: I always enjoy a slight bit of satisfaction when I hear someone read the whole ride report at work. Though I do really love the company I work for and feel I owe them a lot, I know we're the exception.

Really enjoyed perusing your artwork. And yes--your suspicion was correct. Those paintings you've seen were mine. I missed them a great deal while I was gone--and miss them even now, as they're all still in storage. I left a few pieces in spots around the country, but not all were exactly legal. A couple are even cleverly hidden in pics I posted. Sneaky sneaky. >)

Sending PM.
  9. BenZvan

BenZvan N7

Oddometer:
    And now I go back and look at all the pictures again...
  10. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I&#8217;ve done it. I have completely read your new millennium episodes of &#8220;Then Came Bronson" in just four evenings. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Did the Houston show end up on the cutting room floor? LOL<o:p></o:p>
    Agree: "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go". <o:p></o:p>
    So, the latest please, how do I obtain your autographed printed book? <o:p></o:p>
    Thanks for all your effort!<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
  11. Trane Francks

Oddometer:
    I really like the way you stated that. Well and truly said, sir.:1drink
  12. Trane Francks

Oddometer:
    I hear what you're sayin', but I don't get it. You decided that dressing up for an occasion is difficult exactly why? Playing a role for an audience (and/or yourself) is only as difficult as we decide it is. My take: If you truly accept your love for the genre, then dressing up as a character and going to an event in that persona is not only easy, it's joyful. (I fronted my blues band as a monk in full kimono and hakama one year, staying in-role for ~6 hours straight to the point it prompted people to ask my best friend whether I was really a monk. It was a riot.)

Not that I'm a gamer, but I see absolutely no difference to being totally in the moment and enjoying your moment as Darth Whomever at a CON versus the same "fuck it" that spurs one to get on a postie bike and ride around the world. Acceptance and self-awareness. When you know the role you're playing and fully immerse yourself in it, the experience can be very self-illuminating; after all, one cannot play a role well without tapping into elements of foundational truth along the way.
  13. Trane Francks

Oddometer:
    Nearly 14 hours after you wrote this, I find myself at the end of the voyage. Beautiful and poignant photos of your lady being put away. Loved to see you get to COTA! And that sinking feeling as I saw her on her side on the street .... *sigh*

And then there's the photo of the girl with you in Death Valley. She looked so much like Jun (the one I let get away) that it took my breath away. Thought I was over her -- it's been over a decade. Apparently not. :hmmmmm

The things we learn about ourselves at the damnedest of times. Thank you for that. :D
  14. BenZvan

BenZvan N7

Oddometer:
    I can tell you the reason I haven't done any cosplay. I'm a perfectionist and I don't feel I could do justice to it. Donning the costume of a well-known and well-loved or -hated character and walking into a room full of fanatics feels like inviting criticism.
  15. AntiHero

AntiHero Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are quite well hidden!

fritzcoinc: I just ordered 10 Standard-format editions, so I'll have a couple extra. I'll shoot you a PM.

Trane Francks: Glad you made it. Hope you find your next Jun....she's out there!
  16. Trane Francks

Oddometer:
    Ben, I won't say that your reasons are wrong -- they're your reasons -- but I just wanted to throw this out there: When one bases one's actions on the praises and criticisms of others, it amounts to being inauthentic with Self. It is disempowering and puts one in a victim role.

True perfection is not found in the outcome. It is found in the journey.

Thanks, man. After nearly 22 years in Japan, I'm ready for my journey to take a new turn. Your RR and those of the others here remind me of just how much of North America I haven't seen. I used to say "you can never go home", but I think that was just me making excuses to run away from myself. I do things differently now. I'd be seeing home with entirely different eyes and methodologies.

Riding the TCAT (and TAT) are now priorities. I'm a bush-baby at heart, but working in tech has had me in cities pretty much all my adult life. It won't be much longer, though, before (as with you) a laptop and a 'net connection will be all I need to run my businesses. Once that happens, I'll be out of excuses.

My wife would probably prefer that I get over it already. :D In the meantime, it's worth exploring why I had the reaction I did and then put those findings to work in my marriage. It's bound to make things even better than they are.
  17. crowonapost

crowonapost n00b

Oddometer:
    You chose this path by your name. Whether conscious or not you chose this marker.

You chose the 'heroes' journey.

From loss, pain... a woman. You chose this 'reaction'.

It's not surprising that you keep meeting wanna' be's. They are a mirror for you. No matter how hard you ride a Ducati Sport bike of your dreams.

I know this because I KNOW too much. And it saddens me. On too many levels.
  18. crowonapost

crowonapost n00b

Oddometer:
    Did an equivalent at Church. Ya. Church with my Multi. In front of a mom & kid. Thought the damned thing was a mountain bike & tried to turn on a sidewalk & watched myself going off the edge of a sidewalk & decided to try & turn at about 2 miles an hour. Dropped it. Broke my brake lever on the handlebar, that was about all. To replace...too much money. Bought an aftermarket that was better. Still, should have not have been seduced by the simplicity of the machine.

F'n Ducatis's.

Must mention. I dropped the bike before the first payment on a dirt rut from a big truck tire, dried, embedded in the ground that I then immediately fell into a HUGE puddle on the right, created by said tire. Rode home with the entire right side covered in mud. The bikes white.
    That was my christening.
    Love this DUC beast. 17000 miles later & just one year.

DO WTF YOU LOVE!

I KNOW you, even if you do not know me.

Thanks for YOU.

One random person to another.
  19. BenZvan

BenZvan N7

Oddometer:
    I see your point, but you missed the part where I'm a perfectionist and didn't think I could do it justice. A lot of that criticism is my own. So I choose to do the things I'm extremely good at and the things I want to learn to be extremely good at instead.
  20. jpod999

jpod999 n00b

Oddometer:
    Saw someone with a black helmet and jacket riding a panigale today around 10 in San Rafael this morning. You in the area Dennis?