Vibration thru turns

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by bwalsh, Apr 1, 2014.

1. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did a couple searches here but couldn't find anything that quite matches my symptoms.

Last Saturday I took the GS out for the day, 1150GS with about 34,000 miles on it. When I got close to home that evening I could feel a slight vibration while going around curves. Feels like it is coming from the rear. I could feel it more when turning left then when turning right. I didn't notice it at all when going straight ahead.

I pulled it in the garage and spun the wheel. There is the typical slight drag caused by the brake pads but no grinding or other unusual sounds. I tried to feel for play in the big bearing, hands at the 12 / 6 and 3 / 9 positions, no play. Applied the brake and rocked the wheel back and forth at the 3 / 9 position to see if the pivot bearings were loose, no play. I checked to make sure the rear wheel fork was not loose. No play. I drained the final drive fluid(I just put in 2,000 miles ago) and it was clean, with zero debris. I even checked the front wheel bearings, no play.

I took it into town yesterday(3 miles) and when I left the house I couldn't really feel it but by the time I got to town I could. On the way back I cut the ignition and rolled down the road to my driveway while going back and forth across the roadway but I couldn't really tell much.

I doubt if its the tire but stranger things have happened. There is about 1/8" of thread left on it. It's a Dunlop Trailmax D607.

Could the vibration be coming from the U joints on the drive shaft? It sort of feels like its vibrating at the speed the shaft might be turning but I don't see what would make it vibrate. I would think it would vibrate continuously. The shaft had been replaced by Mortens BMW in July 2006 so it doesn't have the same miles on it that the bike does. Probably about half but I'm not sure as there is no mileage on the receipt.

Does anyone have any ideas which direction I should go in? Thanks for any help I can get!
  2. JoshBMW

JoshBMW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check tire air PSI?

How old are the tires?

Sure sounds more like a tire issue than anything.
  3. bracky72

bracky72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure it's your tires.
  4. Okie Preacher

Okie Preacher Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 Cupped Tires.

The good news is that $300 (plus or minus) will fix the problem!
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    :nod 99% of the time it is the tires!
  6. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Josh, I did check the air pressure. They were a couple pounds low and I topped them off at 38F/40R before the last trip into town.

I've never felt a tire do this before but Like I said, stranger things have happened. Looks like I'll try new tires! It's about that time anyway.

Thanks for the help gentlemen! :freaky
  7. roadrage

roadrage Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    These tires with big blocked tread scallop easily. Tourance does it bad. Look at the outer blocks, you'll notice they're tapered. That's your problem.
  8. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Another vote for cupped tires. Ignore it as long as you can or until the tires are worn out.