1. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:
    When are you leaving?

What route you taking up?

I'm thinking of swinging by just for saturday to sunday morning.

I have no rez/can you pay entrance when you get there?

After that I'm bopping around till I get to Port Clinton Ohio.
  2. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:
    Where you headed?
  3. Recht

Recht Binge Thinker

Oddometer:
    I will probably leave Friday morning around 10am (providing my gravely ill Great Aunt does not pass away)

I'll take 17 up.

You can pay at arrival, I beleive it is $50., Includes 2 really good meals, camping, etc.

PM me, I'll give you my cell number. I'll save you a tent space at the top.
  4. Extorris

Extorris Been here awhile

Oddometer:

It all depends on who's calling up and complaining.

He/She is filling their quota for the month. It's 15 tickets per month in my precinct.
  5. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer:
    I had a friend who told me that he used to write tickets for either really stupid obnoxious things (hydrants, double parking on busy streets that screwed the traffic flow) but he would usually fill his quota with abandoned cars. He reasoning was ultimately those tickets got dismissed. He would fill his quota to make his superiors happy but not hurt peoples pockets.
  6. SPEEZ

SPEEZ Confused Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you go around the block to Walker St. there is legal parking on the north side of the street. Especially at the corner where a few bikes fit perfectly. I park my bike there when ever I have to work in the building. John
  7. RichBeBe

Oddometer:
    Long shot, but who knows...
    I am looking for an inexpensive 50cc scooter. Don't care if it needs work or not. I may just buy a cheap Chinese clone but would rather get a Yamaha or Honda. Anyone have one or know of one?
  8. dlew

dlew Daypass Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    why would these infractions get dismissed?

by the way, i've been getting ticketed for expired meters, something i'm usually not cited for.
  9. TengaiJohn

TengaiJohn Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe because the bikes/vehicles were stolen or abandoned?! I'm just guessign here....
  10. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    Yeah but they have had to be registered to someone (?)
  11. TengaiJohn

TengaiJohn Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    True, but what happens if the person left the country or got arrested or died and has no family or get's eaten by the chupacabras???? :D I'm so fucking bored today!!!
  12. RichBeBe

Oddometer:
    Almost always there is some kind if deal with an abandoned vehicle. Here is an example that happened to me a bunch of years ago. I sold a car to a guy and turned in my plates. He never registered it and ended up parking it on the street with no plates. They gave it something like $1,000 worth of tickets and then towed it for scrap. I got the notices in the mail and had to go to court and show proof I turned in the plates. The judge dismissed the tickets.
  13. RichBeBe

Oddometer:
    Another time I sold a tricycle and while traveling in Latin America I was attacked and eaten by some chupacabras. Luckily Buddha let reincarnated me and I came back as the same person (some might say I was unlikely) Well I got tickets on that damn tricycle since the stupid three year old I sold it to never registered it. The judge saw my death certificate and new birth certificate and dismissed it :D
  14. Ginzer

Ginzer Gnarly Couch Rider

Oddometer:
    Wow. A NY judge that actually looks at the admissable evidence. Who knew?
  15. urbancowboy

urbancowboy Vicious Cycler

Oddometer:
    thats weird. the same thing happened to me.
  16. RichBeBe

Oddometer:
    Do you have that same strange birthmark as well? Never mind we REALLY don't want to know:D
  17. old brooklyn boy

old brooklyn boy Talking Dog

Oddometer:
    Tickets. The hell with tickets. You guys need to get out of the house before it's too late. Go for a ride.
    Alfred
  18. LusterBroil

LusterBroil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So How did it go up there? Did the XT hold up?
  19. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:
    Any of you hitting the Finger Lakes rally this wknd?
  20. Lil' Steve

Lil' Steve Every day is Saturday

Oddometer:
    Cyber is away this weekend but I'll fill ya in...

He rode the XT to my house, ran great as it has been since the day we picked it up from you. We trailer it up to Danbury to meet a few riding buddies for breakfast. After breakfast he fills the XT up with fuel and tops off my TW since they were side by side on the trailer.

We arrive at Thomaston Dam, ( http://www.nae.usace.army.mil/recreati/tmd/tmdrec.htm ) unload & gear up. He fires up the XT and it soon starts to spew smoke from the muffler :eek1 . It dies and we have trouble restarting it. I open the gas cap to check what's in there since he said it rode fine on his way to my place. I dont smell an overwhelming odor of diesel but it did smell funny, almost like kerosene. He swears the nozzle was labeled 87 octane.

I fire up the TW and sure as shit it starts to smoke after a minute or two. Since he put less than $1 of that contaminated crap in my bike, I wasnt too worried about it but we had to drain the XT's tank. We drain & refill the XT and drain the bowl and it fired up & ran great again after that. The TW didnt seem too bad so we're off after sweating it out on the unplanned wrenching.

After about a mile the TW started acting up, backfiring, sputtering and just plain running like shit. I continued on thinking it would clear up, and at times it did but it eventually got worse so I decided we needed to drain & refill my tank too. After doing that it ran great until we got on some uphill single track stuff & it died. Wouldnt restart. We lifted it and turned it around & I coasted it down as far as I could. I eventually got it restarted but it ran like shit so I went back to the van & chilled in the A/C for awhile. Cyberdos & the rest of the guys rode the lovely area till they got tired and met me back in the parking area. My day was bust but he and the rest of the guys had a great time. He says the XT is a "keeper" for the technical stuff, we would've had our hands full with the DR650's.

The little of the area I did see was very nice, you can choose what difficulty level you're comfortable with, stick to the main hardpack road or venture off into the single track stuff which pretty much parallels the main road. We chose midweek to go so we could avoid the weekend crowds and it was a good choice. I will definitely be going back but I'd like to wait untill the temps drop a bit, it was pretty hot out there.

I only saw one Park Ranger in the parking area and he was just passing through. I'd say at least half the bikes I saw were *not* street legal but locals say weekend scrutiny is tougher. Quite a few 2 strokes, some plated, some not.

So to answer your question, the XT held up great. Although when diesel/kerosene/home heating oil is added it to the fuel tank it runs like shit. Kinda like it's only running on one cylinder :lol3. My TW is quite a bit older so I guess I'll pull & clean the carb thoroughly to get that one cylinder firing strong again.

Anybody interested in going up there midweek sometime in the future? I can trailer about 6 bikes if I had to.