airhead kickstarter question

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by jellycow, Mar 14, 2010.

1. jellycow

jellycow out there without a clue, now on a '99 640 AVD

Oddometer:
    So, it seems common to think that the kickstarter of a airhead is not to be used to keep it from snapping something inside the tranny.
    I'd like to know what does it mess with and has anybody ever modified one to make it more durable so they could lose the electric starter?
    I'm just curious, I've used the kicker on my 60/6 for ever and never had a problem with it so I've though a few times about loosing the magic button on the handlebar.
    Sure, the bigger engines are a bitch to kick, but I'd like to believe that's not all there is to this story.
    Any thought anyone?
  2. SamH

SamH 90S on the bench

Oddometer:
    I ditched the starter on my R45. That bike started first kick every time. Cold or hot. I never had a problem with the kicker.

I have a feeling, as you've said, that it's more of a problem on the bigger engines. Someone will chime in with an educated opinion.
  3. Rob Farmer

Rob Farmer Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's the teeth on the quadrant that have a habit of snapping off. (item 4)

[​IMG]

I've rebuilt 3 gearboxes all with the same problem - all had the first tooth to make contact with the input shaft missing. It could be that more teeth would break with continuous use but once ones gone the action is pretty poor and the owners stopped using the kickstart.
  4. jellycow

jellycow out there without a clue, now on a '99 640 AVD

Oddometer:
    So, it's the teeth on #4 giving up.
    And how about the short stroke, looks like having a longer stroke could give more momentum to the crank making it easier to get things rotating. Anybody worked on that?