Riding technique

Discussion in 'Australia' started by southern cross, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Dr AT

Dr AT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Apparently my post count counts, counterintuitive, but I'm countinuously countriving to counter this counfabulation.
  2. BigDuck

BigDuck Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    I dunno quite about weighting the pegs, all this technical stuff is hard to manage unless it becomes 2nd nature.

But it definately makes the centre of gravity lower and the bike gain traction on slippery corners, this is why if you put your inside leg right out on that too-fast slippery corner (particularly if your butt is still on the seat), you actually survive rather than sliding off - you have put your COG lower and towards the apex of the corner - by transferring some of the butt-seat weight to your leg/peg.

(You should see some of the US threads arguing about the physics of this).

The COG change from sitting to standing is only relevant if your weight was first through your butt onto the seat. If your butt is hovering 1mm above the seat, the COG (because your weight is now on the pegs) is already lower; and probably a lower COG than if you were standing up tall on the pegs.

Then there's turning/leaning with your knees. Pushing outwards with the inside bar to turn (i.e. to turn left, push forward with the left bar*) Moving forward and back. Keeping your elbows up & at right angles. Looking further ahead. Keeping your butt sticking out perky when standing. FFS, one could get to be a good rider! :eek1

(or you could buy a light Husaberg and become a great rider instantly)

----
    *that actually works. I did it on the 990 regularly. The best way to prove it is not to put your hands on teh bars, but leaning fwd with each hand on the top of each of the fork legs/hbar mounts at high speed, if you push forward on the left one - you will distinctly and unavoidably turn LEFT. I discovered this with my feet on the rear pegs, my chest resting on my tank bag, looking through the screen, chin on the bars, half asleep at 130 on the Strzelecki track.....
    ...more a road rider's thing that dirt - which is why some bums-on-seats 'ADVENTURE' riders might actually benefit from it!
  3. scrobs

scrobs Armchair Drifter

Oddometer:
    I was reading this standing up but now my legs are tired I am sitting down, A bit like my riding style:evil
  4. PBee

PBee ...---...

Oddometer:
    I know a Bloke who was kicked in the nuts by a horse & they swelleded up lots.

He said it caused problems with his COG.

I hope I haven't got too many post to my name to offer this morsel of gold.
  5. Midnullarbor

Midnullarbor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Groan.

More COGnitive deficits.

What is this fatal attraction to the footpegs? . . . equating COG to where the weight is "carried"?
    When you are standing on the ground, is your COG at the same level as the bottom of your boots?
    And please, please do not even hint that the COG is really below ground level "because the ground itself underneath my boot soles is where my weight is really being carried".

(And thanks for adding a bit of standup humour, Scrobs!)
  6. BigDuck

BigDuck Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    As Stephen Gall said at his riding school, "Stand when you can, sit when you have to."
  7. Oldfatbeerman

Oldfatbeerman Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer:
    My tyres are black and round , I read on another internet forum they should be square edged to get traction , how do I achieve that ?
  8. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    Unicycle or pogo stick.

If you had to do 30 sec on one for a $1M, which one would you choose?
    :lol3
    A smiley thing for not sure if im a nob or not
  9. eepeqez

eepeqez Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Centre of mass or centre of gravity is about where the mass is located, not where the mass is supported.
  10. PBee

PBee ...---...

Oddometer:
    You're using the wrong oil......:mulie
  11. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    But that is clearly using diet Pepsi...

If it was regular Pepsi the CoG would change because it is not lite like the diet Pepsi...
  12. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tiggs you just gave a me a great idea.

If we mount all our luggage on our helmet and also stand up that should lower our cog even more and make us fully sik pro Dakar riders.

Some one should tell them silly Moto gp riders that there doing it all wrong, them idiots should be standing up going round the corners not leaning off the bike, bloody noobs
  13. tkent02

tkent02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tell them hey should be on car tires, too, Silly foreigners.
  14. Haggs

Haggs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are we there yet?:huh
  15. AlSheehan

AlSheehan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :rofl

Do we have consensus?...

After 44 years you're still a noob, unless you oil your boots, pegs, seat and tyres. (Experts oil their hand grips as well:evil).

The real trick to riding properly is to read your horoscope thoroughly so you can time the movement of the COG of the entire solar system to properly weight the tyre contact patches at all times during cornering, acceleration and braking over the entire track you are riding. Its also a little known secret (used only by the best riders!) that you should take your dog with you on the bike, because 3 COGs are better than 2! ...oh, and never, never, never inflate your tyres with helium unless you are wearing a neck brace...

...or am I reading too much into this?
  16. james928

james928 oohh sidestand!!

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl
  17. james928

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:D:rofl:rofl:clap:clap:clap:freaky
  18. Uncle Crumpet

Uncle Crumpet Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's all balls, just a mind game. If you stand on the pegs your 1150 looks smaller, so your brain doesn't ask you the question," what the fuck am I doing here on this?" The clown suit is the same, but more for spectators or rescue missions, as they ask " what the fuck is that clown doing here on that?"
    tripodtiger likes this.
  19. james928

Oddometer:
    I had a super crap day at work, thought I would read this before heading home. Now I have a tear in my eye and a smile on my dial. I have also learned some invaluable riding tips. I am putting my pegs to the side of my saddle, 900mm risers with Ikea handlebar weights, combine this with the low rider 6psi tyre pressure combo and chunky steak pie in my back pack I should fly like the wind, or maybe have wind not sure which. I am sure it will work, if its on the interweb it must be true:evil:evil
  20. podge NT

podge NT Podge NT

Oddometer:

Hello Blydie long time no read from you