2011 Husqvarna TE-449

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Pcfly, Apr 2, 2011.

1. 2wheeldog

2wheeldog Adventourer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comparison - Although I'm loving my 2010 G450 - so much so that I thought it worth invensting in armor and and a big tank for it - I 'm still very interested in the new HSQs. Something inherently trustworthy about the double cradle frame, japanese suspension, and deep dirt bike tradition that are hard to resist.
  2. kenaroo

kenaroo I am because i ride

Oddometer:

I hear ya.. No doubt the Pros are rough on bikes and break more things than us mortals.. But if those guys keep breaking.. that translates into long term reliability issues for us..

Not saying the new husky is a POS.. Just saying I'd wait a year or so for the team/factory to fix the issues the bike "might" have. after all it is the first generation/year "husky" design.

that translates as to a win on Sunday for them and you get home with a smile on your face after an awesome ride with no issues..
  3. Ruffus

Ruffus Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer:
    Borrowed from a thread on Cafe Husky

TEAM HUSQVARNA HAS ANOTHER WINNING WEEKEND
    Graffunder Grabs WORCS Win While Mandi Mastin Takes AMA Enduro And Makes Another ISDE Team

[​IMG]

April 19, 2011 – Corona, CA - It was another big weekend for Team Husqvarna as Cory Graffunder won the Pro2 class at the WORCS race in Anza, California, while Mandi Mastin won the Women’s Class at the AMA National Enduro in West Point, Tennessee. Graffunder’s WORCS win was a first for the Zip-Ty Racing TXC449 rider, but Mastin’s Enduro/ISDE qualifier victory on her Hall's Cycles TXC250 was old hat to the multi-time Enduro champ and Six Day medalist.

[​IMG]

Consistency has kept the Canadian export in contention for the WORCS Pro2 title so far this season, but every race has been a battle with archrival Justin Seeds… this one the closest yet as less than 2 seconds separated the two after nearly an hour and a half of racing! Despite smashing his foot on the first lap, Cory set a torrid pace. “I had a good start and was 2nd right away, so it sucked that I banged that rock on the first lap!” In fact Graffunder and Seeds’ battle took them past many of the Pro Class competitors as they finished just behind crowd favorite Ryan Hughes in 13th and 14th overall.

[​IMG]

“I was chasing Seeds on the first lap when we hit the Pro rock section and he opted to go around, so I jumped ‘The Gorge’ and passed him,” Graffunder explains. “I hit so hard my hands flew off the bars, but somehow I did not crash! That rocky gulch jump was kind of deceiving… it was a downhill run-up and you had to be careful, but that is how I was able to keep Seeds in check.”

[​IMG]

“On my last pass through the pits I read that I had a 13-second lead on the pitboard, but by the time we neared the MX track, looked back and Seeds was charging! For the last few minutes we both went hammer-down, bar-to-bar all the way to the finish line. I could hear him coming up beside me in every turn!” This win puts Graffunder just 6 points out of 1st place in the WORCS Pro2 class after four rounds.

[​IMG]

Meanwhile Women’s champ Mandi Mastin continues to enjoy her new Hall’s Husqvarna TXC250, winning the AMA National Enduro/ISDE Qualifier (International Six Days Enduro) combo. “The weather was great for the day of the race, but for the two days leading up to it, things weren’t so pretty! The area experienced 3 inches of rain on Friday night alone, so there were a couple of mudholes here and there and the terrain was kind of slippery,” explained the multi-time women’s Enduro champion.

“I rode conservatively since it was so slick early on, but throughout the day the trails seemed to dry and continue to tack up!” Taking advantage of the traction, Mandi managed to make it look easy... well, easy for her! “I hold the lead in the series with a perfect 4 for 4 so far. Also, I have qualified to go to the ISDE again this year in Finland. This will be the 10th time that I have raced the ISDE and I have to say that I’m pretty darn excited for August to get here!”

“Talk about the wild west, Husky wins on the West Coast and in West Point,” exclaims Husqvarna’s National Marketing Manager Corey Eastman. “Congratulations to Cory Graffunder for winning WORCS and to Mandi Mastin for qualifying for the ISDE for the 10th time! This is exactly what we mean by our Ride More message!” To help everyone get the “Ride More” message, Eastman notes that Husqvarna is offering fantastic financing (2.99% APR for 2011 machines and .99% for 2010 and earlier models), as well as terms up to 60 months.
  4. little_twin

little_twin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SO, I have some miles on my TE449 and I need oil filters and a service manual.........Oil filters are not a problem, but the service manual is proving to be a tricky thing to get my hands on. Anybody have any ideas?
  5. Ruffus

Ruffus Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer:
    Have you tried calling UPTITE, MOTOXOTICA, HALL'S???
  6. little_twin

Oddometer:
    Dan is looking into it, but I am hoping to find someone with a copy of it now. There are a few things I am curious about, including the word FAIL on the dash every now and then.
  7. little_twin

Oddometer:
    I have had my 449 for just under 3 weeks now and have put 200 miles on it. I have been riding single track in northern California and am absolutely loving the bike. I was not sure I would like it for the single track I ride as much as I like my YZ250, but to my surprise it is just as good as the YZ.

I have not touched the suspension yet, and am sure the bike will get better once I get it a little more dialed in. It handles surprisingly welll for its size and weight in the tight stuff, and the CTS is no gimmick. I have had no issues with traction in any conditions and this on the the stock Karoo.
  8. kiwiAdventure

kiwiAdventure Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm interested in any feed back from owners who have changed from the BMW 450 to the 449. I'll be looking at changing next year
  9. robotsthrowingrocks

robotsthrowingrocks pray for snow

Oddometer:
    It looks like I am picking up a 2011 TE449 tomorrow. I'm having a bitch of a time finding radiator guards for it though. All I've really found are the excellent looking Force Accessories ones, but they are pretty spendy since they need to be shipped from Australia. Just shy of $200.

Is there a better option out there, or should I just sack it up and order them? Any other must haves?
  10. kojack06

kojack06 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just received the latest issue of Dirt Bike and they reviewed a version of this bike and really liked it.
  11. kiwiAdventure

kiwiAdventure Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was advised by BMW not to fit these types of guards to my 450 or my 650 as it stops air flow and may void the warranty
  12. zenriding

zenriding Traveler

Oddometer:
    Just picked up my TE-449 today. Rode it around the streets and it handles great! Can't wait to take it to Metcalf to try some dirt.
  13. robotsthrowingrocks

robotsthrowingrocks pray for snow

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I don't have a warranty, so that part isn't a big deal. If it does stop airflow though, that would be bad. Seeing as tons of bikes use them (including my 01 KTM 400), I'm surprised they suggested that. My dealer heavily suggested buying some. Of course, dealers don't always know what they are talking about when it comes to the aftermarket. What is your personal take on it?

So I guess the question is... whats worse? Smashing a radiator or reducing it's airflow?
  14. martya

martya n00b

Oddometer:
    Tested 2011 Husky 310, 449, 630 all on familiar territory.

I've had a bunch of BMW 1100, 1150, 1200 GS's, have a x650 Xchallenge set up as dual sport, and have used most of the Japanese 250-400-650's at one time or the other. I've also had several BMW F650's.

The TE-449 is definitely *not* the BMW 450. It handles much more like a 250 frame with great torque and better stability. It takes corners more like "carving" than skidding.

I absolutely loved the bike and if I did not have the XChallenge (set up right), I would have gotten the TE 449 in a heartbeat.

The TE 630 was even more of a surprise. It is much easier to handle than my 650 Xchallenge. Feels more like a 450 but with a smooth torquey motor. The Xchallenge is like long skis with no sidecut - you go straight down the mountain. The TE 630 is like a great pair of responsive Giant Slalom skis - you can go many different places on the mountain - fast.

If the TE 630 had decent touring kit, I would think about changing my X Challenge to the TE 630....but I like the 449 better for all around use.

I BOUGHT the TE 310 because I was really looking for a 250 - and the 310 weighs 235 pounds but has power very close to e 400cc bike.

I rode the TE 310 on its first long (190 mile) dirt road and desert single track through New Mexico yesterday, into the night. It was spectacular.

I even got stuck in about 20 miles of the red clay dust/silt that builds up in irrigation zones around the Rio Grande - which is like red talcum powder - and the bike was totally fine.

(I am not a very skilled dirt rider - I just manage to get there over long distances and have maybe 75,000 miles or more of dirt road riding over most of North America.)

The 310 motor has even more punch than they say (I'm 210 pounds), and even though I had no real experience with the bike, it became "second skin" in about 20 minutes.

The clutch is smooth.

The suspension just perfect for what I do, and in the dark I even "jumped" some surprise washes that I could not see. (That means I felt - did not see - the front tire leave the ground and stayed upright on the other side even though my brain did not fully realize that I had just left the ground. Throttle works. Suspension works. Brain....not so much.).

Given my weight and size, this feels like a well-fitted mountain bicycle with a small rocket motor.

This is a whole new category.

And I would take either the 449 or the 630 in a heartbeat.
  15. DorsetBlue

DorsetBlue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Picked my TE449 up on Sunday. Handles rather well on the road, now just need to get some time on the Byways.
  16. kiwiAdventure

kiwiAdventure Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mountain bike very light only a few kilos. 449 many many mountain bikes in weight.
  17. kiwiAdventure

kiwiAdventure Long timer

Oddometer:
    Depends on how hot the day is. I don't know of any 450's with damaged radiators in this part of the world. Totally up to you. My thinking is making the bike light not adding parts. My insurance will pay for any damage even trail riding (not racing).
  18. zenriding

zenriding Traveler

Oddometer:
    Been riding the bike offroad the last two days and just loving it. Checking on the maintenance intervals and it calls for a front fork overhaul at 250 miles or 8 hours. With no service manual available, what would this entail?
  19. zenriding

zenriding Traveler

Oddometer:
    Were did you get the 6000 mile rebuild interval? Don't see it in any of the Husky literature provided. I've also created a table that shows the recommended scheduled maintenance for motor and chasis. I pulled this from the owners manual.

files.me.com/albertsaenz/ 0j9gmx
    files.me.com/albertsaenz/ nn93na
    files.me.com/albertsaenz/ 2ey8sq
  20. little_twin

Oddometer:
    I fitted Mecasystems rad guards. The fit is very good, and there is no reduction in air flow. Rode the bike in 100 degree weather on 1st and 2nd gear single track last week with no issues.