Photos from Michaux SF Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by JaxObsessed, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    I'm not Jeff, but I think a foliage ride should hit all six of the designated scenic overlooks you can ride to in Michaux. Okay, Hammond's Rocks you have to walk about 100 yards from the side of the road to the overlook, but you get the idea.

The six overlooks you can ride to are (North to South) Spruce Run, Hammond's Rock's, Buzzard Rocks, Dark Hollow, Snowy Mountain and Valley View. If you are up for a hike (a pretty steep one at that) you could also hit Pole Steeple. That would be all seven of the scenic overlooks in the state forest in one day.

I can't make the 27th but may try to hit all 6 (or seven) on the 13th or 20th.

I may also try to hit all 6 rideable overlooks in Tuscarora State Forest during the fall foliage season this year. A man's gotta dream. :D
  2. JaxObsessed

JaxObsessed Aggressively pedantic about objective truth=Woke.

Oddometer:
    Sounds Excellent!!!
    Don't know if I can get free though.

Warning at Buzzard Rocks... Last time I was up I was amazed at how many nails, screws and misc hardware and glass there was.... Idiots seem to have brought construction waste up there to burn.... glass is a problem at the overlooks... but I never saw so much rusty steel.

3. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've heard people fussing about the conditions of Ridge Rd at the north end being hard to ride. While I drove my Miata through it, I was going slow. So lets start at the bottom and go north and we can decide about the top end of Ridge Rd when we all get there.

Lets set two dates: Saturday the 20th and Saturday the 27th. We'll plan on both dates. Some folk will run it twice, some once. Weather can be fickle and that will play as well.

Lets meet at the McDonalds in Waynesboro, and plan on rolling out by 10:00am, going North. I'll try to be there at 9:00ish myself, for a disgusting breakfast. If one of you folk have a better breakfast meeting place, especially in Mt Alto, put it out instead.

Don't know about lunch locations, or after the ride hijinks. I'm limited with regards to night riding as I don't have a headlight at the moment.

If I did it right, this should show a draft route map:
    https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msi...ll=39.937119,-77.383575&spn=0.506474,0.866547
  4. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    Ah yes, the work of the Hoofdies. :becca
  5. mudslngr

mudslngr mud .....a necessity

Oddometer:
    This would be awesome!
    :clap
  6. Lupin 3rd

Lupin 3rd Raygun Gothic

Oddometer:
    This is awesome. Don't think I can manage 2 weekends, but I'll definitely be there for one!

I'm so lazy I couldn't be bothered to get off the throne, so I sent this from my iPad using Tapatalk,
  7. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great idea! Both the 20th and 27th are open for me at this time, so I'm going to try to make both dates. Maybe one day for each bike, so neither feels left out.... :D
  8. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    Another beautiful day in Michaux!

I got a bad cold, but I have my Nephew with me so I HAD to put in some Michaux time.
    We were heading up ridge road, came across the rise in a hill right before an intersection and ran into the Army. They were walking around in full gear with a truck, but I noticed no body seemed to mind me being there, so I started to head torwards a RT at the top of the hill. Kind of startled me. Then I started looking around, "wait a minute, These guys are carrying bolt action rifles :deal. Hung the RT, crossed the next hill and ran into a patrol of Nazis. Now it makes sense, WW2 reenactment. The 13 YO Nephew is digging it :D . Since I am riding a BMW I stopped to talk to the Nazis, but they were in full costom, so of course they could not understand English.

This all happened so fast I forgot to get the camera out.
    We rode a couple miles up the road and I looked down and saw the camera in the top box, on the intercom I say "John, lets turn around, I will give you the camara, and you just keep shooting as we drive through them.

By the time we got back they were moving.
    Anyway, here is the original German ADV rider.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is a couple more.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So we followed them down Ridge to the reservoir
    [​IMG]
    Until they made a RT past a gate I was not allowed to pass.
    [​IMG]
  9. JaxObsessed

Oddometer:
    WOW@Michaux
  10. jdub

Oddometer:
    I was riding through Michaux today and saw these guys too. Several authentic Wehrmacht BMW and Zundapp sidecar rigs and a DKW 2 cylinder two-stroke pulled out from an intersection ahead of me, and then came a half-track loaded with Waffen SS troops (re-enactors, thankfully). All equipped with Mausers, Lugers, etc. Kind of neat but spooky at the same time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A neat contrast: My 2007 BMW (far right) with some of its WWII ancestors.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple miles more and I came upon a roadblock of branches and tree limbs laid across the roadway. Then I noticed a guy in vintage U.S. Army staff sargeant BDUs at the road side motioning for me to squeeze by in the ditch. As I passed I yelled to him "Hey, the Germans are back there". He just smiled and nodded, and then I came upon dozens of U.S. re-enactor soldiers and their equipment. Apparently this is an annual event in Michaux and other state forests in surrounding states.
  11. SoPaRider

SoPaRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm back after spending three days this week riding in Allegheny National Forest in NW PA with Denny, if you ever get the chance to do the same, do yourself a favor and "JUST DO IT!" As for the dates for the fall Michaux ride/rides, as of now the 27th would work best for me, but being my own boss (don't tell Karen) I can pretty much ride any day of the week if I don't already have something scheduled, as I do on the 20th. For those who haven't already received copies of my 15 (LEGAL TO RIDE ON A PLATED BIKE!) dual sport routes in Michaux, PM me and I'll see that you receive them. They contain a total of nearly 850 miles, so we should be able to come up with a route/routes that will work for just about anyone!? I'd be more than happy to lead the ride on the 27th or any other day that I don't already have a committment.

Jeff
  12. JaxObsessed

Oddometer:
    Excellent to see you riding at will, my friend!!!!

I've ridden around ANF a coupla times and love it up there. I have family in Port Allegheny. There is a SHITLOAD of gravel to crunch! There are probably more gravel roads than paved, north of 80. Alot of sand too, not my favorite, but ok in small doses. Though it's been a long time, I used to ride the old strip mining pits. They were like large motorcycle playgrounds with the occasional bike eater sink hole.:lol3
    All the gas/oil wells are interesting too.

13. onewheeltwo

onewheeltwo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saw the signs for "WWII" on my way out around 1pm. Guess I should've gone later :huh

Course, I also should've found the end of this thread first, and I would've know it was still alive! Didn't see a single bike for the 4 hours I was there, bow hunters, wild turkey, & ATVs a plenty.

I would like to say that one section of ridge road had deeper looser gravel than the rest of the forest, and really sucked :eek1 No pics, didn't really want to stay there. The rest was a lot of fun!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. jdub

Oddometer:
    I'll second that! I hit a couple miles of this yesterday on Ridge Road north of Shippensburg Road between the intersection of Woodrow Rd/Hogshead Rd to just south of Big Pond Rd. Raises the pucker factor a bit on heavier bikes!
  15. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, that reenactment is super cool! I've never seen any documentation of it. If any of you know of it, or their schedule, that would be great for future visits. I'd love to make sure I was there to see that.
  16. Les1

Les1 n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm inspired to get out there and explore after seeing your pics. Thanks for posting and ride safe.

Les:norton
  17. JaxObsessed

Oddometer:
    Welcome onewheeltwo, Michaux is only a coupla hours from naptown. Not bad for a day ride option. If you want to explore a little longer, SoPaRider and spouse offer tent space in their yard. :evil

Welcome foxtrapper. Feel free to post some photos of Michaux !!!

Welcome to ADV Les! There is so much going on here, you'll never be bored.
  18. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    I think they try to keep it secret, to stop all the people who want to go take pictures of them.
    The only things I saw different that indicated something was going on is Road signs screwed to trees at every intersection pointing to names of towns that are not in Michaux, and around Big Flat parking area there was signs that said WWII pointing into the parking area.
  19. Kidicarus

Kidicarus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I saw that there was something going on at the Army Heritage Center in Carlisle that weekend. You could probably check that website for info on when they're going to be around again.
  20. Dynamick

Dynamick Coddiwompler Supporter

Oddometer:
    I took a small detour on my way home from Oil City, a few weeks ago. Hello MSF.

[​IMG]

Rode through from the north heading south. Didn't pay attention to road names, some were paved others not.