Andy Strapz Thread

Discussion in 'OZ Vendors & Flea Market' started by Andy Strapz, Mar 4, 2013.

1. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    It's pretty easy to make something up with a couple of buckles & some extra strap (car seatbelt works good) if you don't need to undo the velcro to fit them. We have actually threaded a hook onto the front straps that hooks on a strap looped under the seat to improve comfort:

[​IMG]

Cheers
    Clint
  2. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Good idea!
  3. Racketeer

Racketeer Must escape......

Oddometer:
    Melbourne near the sshitty...I mean the City!!
    I've ordered the new set yesterday. Wow. Turned up up by courier at 8 this morning.

Massive tick to your service guys. As usual.

Thanks very much!
  4. Nerb

Nerb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Andy doesnt seem to post much here, so i'll do it for him. I loaned Andy my bike to make some minimalist type racks for the 1190 Adventure (R). He might tell you all about them. They are on his website.

I made up a little video of the day we installed them. They are working very nicely.

http://youtu.be/E4D6V7CKqHc

Hmmm... how to embed?... Oh, HTML is off on this thread for me?
  5. speed_racer

speed_racer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not bad.. They look like they sit up a fair bit though... Have u filled them n gone for a spin? I'd be interested to see if it makes the bike more top heavy..
  6. Andy Strapz

Andy Strapz Andy Strapz

Oddometer:
    G'day

There are some really inventive and clever people out there, great to see what's happening.

Thanks for your help Nerb.

The whole plan was to make sure the bike was as narrow as possible by tucking the panniers in over the pipe. Hanging out the side like the OEM boxes do makes for a wide and potentially easily buggered up system in a fall. At a rough guess the system should be with in ball park of the OEM boxes.

Owners have a choice of using two of my Traveller Pannierz one as Nerb has done, opt of one Traveller and one Expedition Pannier. Travellers are smaller in volume but multi adjustable so will clear the pipe.

Like all thingz dual sport it's all about finding the best compromise.

The next cab off the frames rank is the 2013 BMW 1200GS, prototyping next week.

More 1190 info here http://andystrapz.com/products-details.php?productId=194&productCategoryId=22&Level=1

[​IMG][​IMG]
  7. philth

philth www.motorbikin.com.au

Oddometer:
    we're shipping 2 drs to nz fitted with the same andystrapz panniers we've been flogging around the desert for the last year or so
    wouldnt use anything else

[​IMG]
  8. Andy Strapz

Andy Strapz Andy Strapz

Oddometer:
    This year's all signing, all dancing Andy Strapz roadshow is about to be snicked into first gear. Due to the unreasonably unreasonable GP Corps attitude and rising, eye watering costs I have taken a shop in the main street of Cowes for the week. I have a roomy shop for the week so I'm planning on a more relaxed and less crowded experience. There'll be plenty of room to try gear on your bike in the parking lot
    New stocks of Forma ADV boots should turn up Wednesday (about bloody time), Boris will be doing a book signing Saturday Morning.

Al Fewster will be presenting a short chat about his racing and life since losing two limbs on Friday and Saturday evening around 7.The plan is to help him by raising a bit if cash for his racing plans. He's on a pension since a pissed shit head in a tradie truck took him out on the wrong side of the road. If you can't make the GP and want to help please drop some money in his paypal account at boneapart25@yahoo.com.au

https://fbexternal-a.akamaihd.net/safe_image.php?d=AQBy2eDMkpzSjd1K&url=http%3A%2F%2Fi1.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2Fe7anr03s46c%2Fmaxresdefault.jpg%3Ffeature%3Dog&jq=100

Opening hours will be 11-late Wednesday and Thursday, 8.30 til late Friday to Sunday and Monday morning.
  9. Left Testicle

Left Testicle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just been to super cheap autos here in nz and bought 2 x20 fuel containers. They fit perfectly. cot the top off with a jigsaw. good strong thick plastic.
  10. Andy Strapz

Andy Strapz Andy Strapz

Oddometer:
    I'm not such a fan of the plastic jerry can thing unless it's for the weekly shopping. To some extent it negates the purpose of a soft bag. The sides become rigid and don't accept odd shaped gear like shoes as well, reducing usable volume. Secondly there is now a type of hard box that is not so leg friendly in a fall. They do make for a great place to put a slab and a bag of ice though.
  11. wairau

wairau get in behind!

Oddometer:
    after trying a few other things neither will i
  12. Tubsta

Tubsta Too much farkle

Oddometer:
    ... Maybe clarify on your website that ear moulds are by appointment only to avoid disappointment and not - come on down and made while you wait.

It appears my feedback has been taken on board. Full marks for Andy's commitment to listening to any feedback provided, something that is missing in a lot of businesses these days.
  13. Russ

Russ Путин - военный преступник

Oddometer:
    Andy was working it's called research and development:lol3
  14. gateman

gateman Long timer

Oddometer:
    170,000km of reliable Expedition Pannierz traveled thus far Andy.
    The liners now get used in the ST as well as the bags.
    Used as beer coolers and eskys and just holding tools and work stuff too.

These bagz have been some of the best money spent on bike stuff.

Very happy.

Gatey
  15. Monkey Doo

Monkey Doo n00b

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    4 of us used and abused your panniers in 2012. Great gear!!
    I built some custom racks for the Tiger, set at 45deg - giving me the space for the 8ltr can and keeping the width inside the handle bars. (also thinkin the angle might ease the strain on the straps across the seat... )
  16. Muddler

Muddler Long timer

Oddometer:
    Andy, can you provide some insight as to why you use canvas for your panniers? Just cost?
    I had a set of cheap Cordura bags that seemed to stand up well to a fall. I'm assuming canvas will be less abrasion resistant?

I also tried the plastic jerry in my bags, but agree - you lose too much space

By the way, bought some Forma boots off you a couple of years ago and loving them :clap
    Thanks
    Rob
  17. Burkey

Burkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really like your gear, I've already got a giant loop great basin and their fandango tank bag. Want to integrate your straps for holding a swag down to my great basin.

What do you recommend
  18. Matt

Matt Dirt Virgin

Oddometer:
    Hi Burkey - I helped Andy out at the Sydney show and will be at Brisbane and Melbourne shows this year.

I'm now know as Fat Strapz - bastards.

If you're packing on the XR then probably a set of Smart Strapz would work anchored to the passenger pegs (or where the Great Basin is tied down). Check them out on Andy's website.
  19. Dirty3

Dirty3 Just add sauce

Oddometer:
    I recently bought a pair of the Piggy back Strapz and must say how easy these are to use and never once did i feel they would come off. In fact, once i'd strapped everything down on a recent trip, i didn't even think about them again till i had to unstrap them.

The idea of these strapz to enable adding items at will is a great idea.
    Bloody good product.
    Cheers Andy.
  20. lentil

lentil King of the Dad Joke and Senior Status Legume

Oddometer:
    Andy,

Bag arrived today its just the ticket. Thanks for the good service and prompt delivery.

Ill send you some photos of it in the high country in a week or 2 :D

[​IMG]