L. A. ADVenture Rides

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by nsfw, Mar 5, 2008.

1. sopascat

sopascat not much of an adventurer

Oddometer:
    acting wasn't within my capabilities at that moment
    afraid I didn't even try it on the bike, I need to figure out if the mount they got for it is going to be secure enough
  2. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wasn't going to come on this ride, because I'm Riding to Cabo in a few days. But I woke up inexplicably at 4:30am and figured I should test out some of the Farkles I've been adding to the bike.

I got caught behind a CHP cleaning a bunch of clothes of the freeway.
    [​IMG]

I Remembered Someone mentioning Denny's for breakfast, but I couldn't remember which Denny's. I passed one by and decided to turn around and see if anybody was there. Good thing I did because my new rear tire was thrashed. I thought DOT Rated was kind of a performance benchmark like SNELL. A not rated helmet still works. But Non-DOT tires do not work on the highway, at all I'm sure you knew this but I didn't:dunno

I was going to turn around and drive home super slowly, but Bouncing billy wouldn't have it and Nowwhat said I could ride the dirt all day on that tire. So we loaded it up in BB's Truck.
    [​IMG]

Here's my new tire:
    [​IMG]

After we waited several hours Sopascat, Rrugger, and DannyG strolled up. I think they might have picked up spafixer along the way?
    [​IMG]

Then we waited a bit more because Vern's DRZ wouldn't start. Eventually they towed him for a push (pull?) start.
    [​IMG]

Soon after it died again and this time Razor stepped up and re-ignited the DRZ
    [​IMG]

I went off ahead and found a neat little jump to take some pictures. I'm sorry guys, I missed most of them, some of you had some pretty cool Wheelies and jumps and my little camera just couldn't keep up:becca
    bouncing Billy
    [​IMG]

Sito
    [​IMG]

DuneRat
    [​IMG]

Spafixer and FNG (FNG is a friend of Riddler990, and I forgot his name... He's not a member of the Board so FNG it is :clap)
    [​IMG]

Sopascat (I think)
    [​IMG]

Tbarstow
    [​IMG]

rrugger and I think DannyG
    [​IMG]

Again, My apologies to All, I didn't even get a shot of Razr cuz he went through so fast. I dunno if it's shutter lag or operator error, but I don't seem to be real good with timing shots on the new Camera.

We headed off in a general direction, when there was no road going where we wanted we just went that way anyway.:clap
    [​IMG]

Razr stopped to pixelate some FF's going up a hill climb.
    [​IMG]

:doh
    [​IMG]

Razor made it look easy on the tanker.
    [​IMG]

Once we got to the top we discovered that the other side was way steeper and looser.
    Bouncing Billy and Dunerat didn't bat a eye and just kept going.
    [​IMG]

While the rest of us had time to contemplate our impending doom
    [​IMG]

This was not NowWhat's most graceful descent, but to his credit he did keep it mostly upright.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The rest of the crew made it down without much drama
    [​IMG]

I dunno what happened here, but Riddler990 like forgot how to ride, or fell into a weird gravity well or something
    [​IMG]

Take 2, same as before
    [​IMG]

We went UP that steep assed hill that tried to kill me and biggie a few weeks ago.

Vern went up and made it. Boucing billy got to the top and stopped to congratulate himself and fell back down.
    Then I went, and the bike made it to the top:deal though it was upside down on the lip.

Vern and Sito got to know each other a little better
    [​IMG]

Vern Saw Nowwhat's lame assed attempt and decided he'd better stay put to help.
    [​IMG]

Vern Told everybody else to stop, NowWhat was the only one who thought he was still gonna make it:poser
    [​IMG]

Yup:deal
    [​IMG]

Sure I had to roll my bike over the lip, but when all is said and done Vern and I were the only two standing on the top of the hill. They all gave up so we waved.
    [​IMG]

I'd like to take this opportunity to point out that I made it up that sucker... With this...
    [​IMG]

The Pumkin Twins
    [​IMG]

Bouncing billy had a nasty crash and got pinned under the bike with the throttle stuck and in gear. Eventually Vern got the wire off the plug (after getting bit by the coil) and billy was able to crawl out without getting eaten by the tire.
    [​IMG]

He ironed his brake pedal pretty good.
    [​IMG]

After passing inspection,
    [​IMG]

BB is deemed good to go:thumb
    [​IMG]

When we headed back the truck decided it didn't like one gas tank, and the other was empty. After driving forever on a empty tank, we pulled into the first gs station, and the place was crawling with flashing lights. they had everything... fire truck, ambulance, CHP's local cops. It looked very much like a shooting in progress , but we wuz on fumes to Billy wailed on the horn and in his best jersey accent told the fire truck driver to 'move dat ladda fore I shove it up yer @$$! The firemen realized they was outclassed and moved out of the way obliginly.
    [​IMG]

The last time we rode this area there was a hill climb that gave biggie some problems. I went charging up it thinking I'd done it before how bad could it be? I didn't make it 1/3 the way up and my front deflected off a rock and I went down hard on my head. Broke the visor off the Shoei, and put a nice scratch in the brand new Shield :becca
    Today my Wrist is killing me, I'm calling it a bad sprang, I have full movement and the swelling has gone down since yesterday, but honestly I think I might have cracked something in there. 7 day trip to Baja in four days. Smart:thumb
  3. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, think again:fyyff

How much is a shoei Hornet and a 606?:huh
  4. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by h8chains
    isn't it the same ending on every ride...:lol3 this time, it didn't cost xymo $500 (AT LEAST!)

sorry bro, i could not help it....:augie

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

hornet @ $429 + 606 @ $70 = $499

sorry dude, you didn't make the $500 mark..:deal

but no matter what, your pain is mine too...:cry

i think you should call the dealer about this one; not the first time i've seen this on 606s. there's a whole thread out there about the knobs breaking off. imagine if that's on a 950/990...:eek1

ka chunk, ka chunk, ka chunk...not good.

[​IMG]

good ride report and thanks for the pics!
  5. dunerat

dunerat WTF? Supporter

Oddometer:
    not a 606,that was a non speed rated non DOT tire,and most of all not a Dunlop:dealPS i run that same tire on my YZ....its a good tire.just not for 80 plus on hwy
  6. Earl999

Earl999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, what happened with the other crash? Lost front end, endo'd, slid out, etc? Not remembering a crash means you took a pretty good jolt to the head, like a mild to moderate concussion.

When I was an up and coming dirt biker, I always analyzed my crashes to see what I could improve; my riding style, ability to read the terrain better, bike set up, etc.
  7. xdbx

xdbx Motorcycle Connoisseur

Oddometer:
    That maxxis looks like the desert IT right? The 3 guys I was with at the ADVpit in El Coyote all ran those front and rear. A 625, a 450 rxv and a 250x honda, and NONE of them chunked. I even lead them back through ensenanda and all the way to tecate on pavement up to 70/75mph and the tires looked new when we split up in ensenada. :huh

[​IMG]
  8. dunerat

dunerat WTF? Supporter

Oddometer:
    the tires in question were reportedly used at close to 100mph for about an hour:huh alledgedly of course:wink: i too run the tires and had no such issues..the guys an animal.meow:lol3
  9. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:

100 for maybe 10 mins. 70+ for over an hour.
    Yeah, totally my fault for not knowing, and it was a desert IT not a 606
  10. dunerat

dunerat WTF? Supporter

Oddometer:
    i stand here sitting corrected:huh
  11. rruugger

rruugger formally Sir Crashalot

Oddometer:
    Nice RR xymotic :thumb Classic King of the hill shot!:kat
    [​IMG]
  12. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:
  13. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    doesn't matter what the load or speed rating is for this tire...

put it on at 325+lb bike and run it down the frwy at 75+ for over and hour and you get to have a slick when you get to the dirt....:deal
  14. dunerat

dunerat WTF? Supporter

Oddometer:
    well ...can you tell me the maximum speed of a domestic swallow in mid flight:deal well.....
  15. dunerat

dunerat WTF? Supporter

Oddometer:
    yeah ,what he said:D
  16. airborndad

airborndad Long timer

Oddometer:
    depends on how far away she is from you, gravity, aim and other factors
  17. sopascat

Oddometer:
    Yeah, we talked about the first one, downhill, a little too fast, sticky throttle, came up on the guy head of me when I should have picked another line & passed him maybe

& yes I have discussed the probability of a concussion with my on-site medical staff (my daughter is an ER nurse)

any further details of that crash will have to be gotten from the guys I was riding with, I don't remember if anyone was riding behind me at that point....come to think of it though, I thnk someone was behind me for the rest of the ride, I probably gave them a bit of a scare
  18. dunerat

dunerat WTF? Supporter

Oddometer:
    you and Billy should put your heads together and see if you can bang out an answer:lol3 sorry couldnt resist
  19. sopascat

Oddometer:
    yeah thanks :rolleyes

somehow headbanging isn't sounding very appealing just now
  20. dunerat

dunerat WTF? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Billy had no idea where he was or doing there for a while,scarry.glad you both are not injured worse