Bad day for my 2012 R1200GSA -- Need Shipping Advice

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by mjfields_228, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Z50Pilot

Z50Pilot Sparky

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Zurich warranty. I had the FD replaced through Zurich, as well as some other work. They took a few weeks to OK the FD replacement, but it was done at no charge. Overall it saved me over $3K in warranty work. It was also a selling point when I sold the bike (6 years old, 65K miles and it still had warranty left).

MJ, the cost was about $1200 when I purchased it for my 06 GS (in April 09). If you get the warranty during the factory warranty period it is considered a "new" bike warranty. I plan on getting it on my 2012 as well.
  2. ewbutler

ewbutler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    MJ,

I paid $1,500. but I believe that there's some room for negotiation in there. I know that had I bought the insurance when I bought the bike it would have been somewhere around $895.-the price increasing as the factory warranty ran out. When I bought mine I was heading out the door for a trip to Deadhorse via Hyder and just didn't feel like shopping or negotiating.
    Good luck and Ride Safe

Wade
  3. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:
    A little late but saw this from progressive:

"We interrupt this newsletter...
    To bring you this important news about Trip Interruption coverage!

With Trip Interruption coverage, you can ride with peace of mind knowing we'll pay for your transportation, food, and lodging costs if you get stranded on a road trip. And you can buy it for as little as $5 a year with your Roadside Assistance coverage.

You can add Trip Interruption (or add both Roadside Assistance and Trip Interruption) anytime --
    just log in to your policy or call us."

Did you ask Sturgis Powersports about shipping suggestions? When the Ralley is in town a lot of people ship their bikes up there. Also pick delivery to a depot near you rather than delivery to your door.

BIG MILES BY HANK click here

EAGLERIDER

http://www.eaglerider.com/used-motorcycles.aspx

Shipping

EagleRider ships door-door throughout the nation or to your port for our international customers!
  4. p3chief

p3chief Start'n Over

Oddometer:
    MF'r
    Did you get her home?
    I am home now and could go and pick her up for ya.
    Da Chief!!!
  5. mjfields_228

mjfields_228 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sturgis Motorsports completed the repairs and cleared all of the paperwork on Weds 10/10/12!!!

Per an earlier suggestion from another poster I emailed Keyboard to see if they would venture west of the Central Time.
    And, as it turns out, they just so happen to have a truck going thru Sturgis yesterday 1012/12! The bike left there around 4:30 eastern. It will head to Keyboards hub in Kentucky and be put on a Florida truck. Once they get the final manifest they will give me a ballpark delivery date.

As for all of the trip interruption expenses that I incurred I have been asked to do the following;

Create/compile a complete list of all items and receipts and submit to the Roadside Assistance Trip Interruption Dept.
    My normal benefit is $500. However, given the situation involving a bike only 10 months young and the lengthy delays to get all the replacement parts in there is a chance they will compensate me above the $500. We shall see. I am at $1600 out of pocket (including the shipping costs to get the bike back to Florida). If the Trip Interruption dept does not help with amount of my out of pocket over the normal $500, then BMW Motorrad Customer Service has indicated that they would like to try and ease the pain. No promises per se, but at least there is some dialog in a positive direction.

So far everyone I have dealt with is being very helpful in getting this resolved. First and foremost, is the Service Dept at Sturgis Motorsports. They really exemplify the positive customer service attributes that I have never quite had at "other" motorcycle manufacturers service departments. An outstanding shop for sure.

I will report back when the bike is home and what the final outcome is with BMW.
  6. BOOGIEMAN

BOOGIEMAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have used 1-800-haul bikes to ship a ural with sidecar from AZ to NY and the price was good as the service.
  7. mjfields_228

Oddometer:
    Keyboard Motorcycle Carriage delivered my GSA to me first thing this morning. They are an outstanding firm. Great communication, excellent care of the bike was given and the price was very reasonable. I would not hesitate to use them again in the future.

As for the final chapter of this SAGA--all or partial reimbursement for my trip interruption expenses--the jury is still out.
    I submitted all of my expenses to the BMW Roadside Assistance Trip Interruption department last week and have yet to hear back from them on how much they will re-pay me. When I spoke to an actually customer service person several weeks ago she told me that it takes a week or so for them to review and process the claims.

But, the bike is home and now I get to break it in all over again!
  8. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:
    I just went through that with my final drive failure. She was very nice and polite. Called me once a week for 3 or 4 weeks telling me it was in review. I felt positive then the last call was we reviewed your case and we are unable to help you. They must have some human factors formula that tells them to delay X weeks then politely deny the claim.

Glad you have it back and that there is no way the other side will fail.
  9. VozProto

VozProto Type A ADD w/ OCD

Oddometer:
    Could look into a big ol' panel or cargo van rental from Enterprise perhaps.

If you have a costco membership they can be even cheaper that way.

That said these bid-sourcing websites can be great since they are people already driving across the country and have extra space in their rigs.

Just make sure you go with a reputable carrier with good reviews. It will likely be cheaper than a fly and haul yourself.
  10. mjfields_228

Oddometer:

Two perfectly reassuring statements there scooteraug!!!

And, there is absolutely no chance what so ever that the other side will leave me in a lurch! :evil
  11. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:

Sorry I wasn't trying to be Debi Downer.

Just recalling other parts of the thread. Happy ending, you got your bike back and hopefully she runs like a champ.
    223,000 miles to go.
  12. mjfields_228

Oddometer:
    I got a $500 check in the mail today. Better than a stick in the eye but not quite the amount that I was hoping for.

Called BMW Motorrad Customer Service (they indicated a desire to attempt to take some of the pain away if the Roadside Assistance program did not reimburse me all of my out of pocket) and left a message with the person I have been speaking with. They are in New Jersey, I believe, so no telling if the person is at work today or what the office status is due to Sandy's wrath.

On another good note, I have already put on 750 miles on my wide ass GSA since its return and its running beautifully.
  13. DualSportDad

DualSportDad Long timer

Oddometer:
    glad to hear that the bike made it home and that BMW atleast helped a little. would be cool if they came through a bit more but even if they don't it's a chance we take when we travel.
  14. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    I went back and re-read the original post. What BMW NA SHOULD have done was authorize the dealer making the repairs to remove a cylinder and head from a new bike - or had the distributor do it and overnight the parts. The OP should have been on his way in two or three days absolute tops. If BMW couldn't do that, they should have made all the shipping arrangements - "Would you like your repaired bike delivered to your home or would you like to pick it up from your local dealer sir?"
  15. wbrisett

wbrisett hmmm.... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't think they can do that since you're talking about disassembling a motor. The "new" bike at that point I do not believe can be sold under current laws (if I recall a very old thread on a different board)... but I'm not expert.
  16. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    Hope BMW provides some assistance to cover your out of pocket expenses. Give them a link to this thread, other GSA owners are watching and will want to know how they are going to be treated should something like this happen to them. Reputation, commitment to current owners builds brand loyalty and attracts perspective new owners.

I'm thinking Chasing Horizons and the trouble they had with one of their brand new KTMs, all well documented on youtube. I believe they ended up with a new bike. How much of that was a result of the very public fail of their product and how much is a part of their corporate culture I don't know. A little public praise for doing the right thing can provide huge returns in consumer confidence.

All the best.
  17. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    And what would be your suggestion for the purchaser of that "new" bike when he posts on here after he finds out it was previously disassembled? Just saying.
  18. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    I bet there are a lot of bikes that get more than just uncrated and PDI'd and nobody is any the wiser. Unless the tech is an idiot, replacing the cylinder and head on a brand new bike should not cause any problems. No different to a bike that was subject to a pre-delivery recall. Anyhow, IMO, if the national distributor is not carrying relatively common parts, maybe they need to part-out a new bike to meet demand from a customer.
  19. tvbh40a

tvbh40a PSUViking

Oddometer:
    Idaho home of the fiesta bowl champ BSU bronco's
    +1 When you don't know what to do as a dealer. Ask yourself what is the right thing to do?
  20. daveburton

daveburton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This has worried me as I am getting into GSAs now and about to buy a second in the UK. I tried Super 10s and they are great but not as good. I am heading for south america, is this a common problem with GSs.

Can someone point me to a thread about reliability.

thanks dave