Making of the "Oklahoma Adventure Trail"

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by OKlr, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Of all the different events called "rallies" these days I wasn't thinking of that type of Rally. That would take a lot of work to put together a route book. There have been a couple of "Street Enduros" in Oklahoma much like what you suggest, publish a route book, then the closest to a predetermined time wins. They were ride on your own schedule, self timed on the honor system with a several month window to complete the route. I think they were all under 100 miles though. I did a fun one west of OKC a few years ago.

It could be done. More dual sport riders in Oklahoma every day it seems.

2. Shawnee Bill

Oddometer:
    That's newer stuff than I'm using with my 2610, roads away from big city areas don't change very much over the years.

The google map route I just built in google maps by hand by looking at Basecamp or Mapsource. A short piece like that is pretty easy really.

3. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    I've been following this thread with interest. I decided to re-draw the tracks into a route. There are sections which are done in "direct routes" (similar to tracks).

It's quite a long route actually.
  4. OKlr

OKlr 25mph gate inpector

Oddometer:
    I kept it in sections to avoid crashing some gps units. Also basecamp has a route to track thing that will convert it auto, but it adds alot of not needed points. I'm not sure whitch method would be better for gps units. Anyone an expert on this?

Looks like its at 1353 miles. That's one hell of a loop. It could be shaved down if needed.
  5. rockydog

rockydog just a guy

Oddometer:
    My question is about the short link to the map, how did you get that? Google maps are difficult to share, at least for me
  6. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    I retraced the track in MapSource. The short off road bits were made by going into the Edit tab and clicking: preferences>routing>direct routes

This essentially drops waypoints where you want them. I dropped those weigh points where Oklr had them. After I was back on a road I reversed the process and used "Auto Routes". When you hit one of the waypointed sections the screen will show each waypoint but it clearly shows the road or track in question.

As Oklr stated routes aren't for everyone but the venerable GPSmap 276 as well as the new Montana can handle a route like this.

I used the same method for laying out an 1100 mile route through Colorado, Utah and Wyoming last summer. It works fine.
  7. Shawnee Bill

Oddometer:
    In google maps when you have your route ready, look in the left side frame where the directions are shown, at the upper right of that frame you see an icon of a couple of chain links. Click that, a small selector box pops out to the right, in that box there is a link and above that a check box that says 'Short URL'. Click that and google will generate a 'short URL' to copy and paste.

Short URL: http://goo.gl/maps/nGcnA

Long URL: http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=W...g;FQK_KAIdCi87-g&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=8&t=m&z=8

You can then copy and paste those wherever, Forum post, email, etc.
    If you notice in what I call the long URL there is "...", something, I think the ADVrider forum software replaces what is really there and displays "..." but the entire link is there and used when you click.

8. rockydog

rockydog just a guy

Oddometer:
    Thank you, S B, I didn't know that. here is a link to the locations of the free campground and access to the salt flats.

http://goo.gl/maps/OjvC0
  9. OKlr

OKlr 25mph gate inpector

Oddometer:
    changed the route to include the digging area.
  10. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    Whats "The Digging Area" and which waypoint?
  11. OKlr

OKlr 25mph gate inpector

Oddometer:
    salt plains crystal digging area: 36.714807,-98.264834
  12. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    Very cool OKlr...thanks.
  13. rockydog

rockydog just a guy

Oddometer:
    is there a way to differentiate the paved sections from the non paved sections?
  14. OKlr

OKlr 25mph gate inpector

Oddometer:
    not from the gpx file. you could go old school and look at the county maps. They were posted earlier. I've used them while making the trail. it shows what kind of road each is, paved, graded dirt, unimproved.
  15. Shawnee Bill

Oddometer:
    Easy, on the non-paved sections your front wheel hunts around in what can be a rather spooky way, doesn't do that on paved sections. :lol3:lol3:lol3

:hide
  16. TRZ Charlie

Oddometer:
    I put the tracks into google earth. You can then "fly it" to get an idea of the road surface. It's pretty easy to tell but does leave some sections that are not readily definable.
  17. rjudge

rjudge Texan from near Muskogee

Oddometer:
    OKlr,

Thanks for the tracks!

One place you may check on is at the west end of the K Trail. I think that Hurd Creek Trl is now closed/private and you have to take the Clayton Trl at N34.58389 W95.23237 to N34.59517 W95.30674 then south.

DRZ Charlie,

School me. How did you make "Direct Route" sections in your route? When I try, mapsource just draws a little "out and back" leg from the nearest road part of the route.

Thanks again ya'll.

Rick
  18. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    what a killer idea!!
  19. airdale7

airdale7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got to follow this thread and see where it goes. Now if Santa will bring me a decent GPS....:wink:
  20. Shawnee Bill

Oddometer:
    Seems I remember when we did things like this with paper maps. A little planning before you leave the house and you can circle Oklahoma without a GPS.

But lately my wife claims I have trouble getting out of my neighborhood without a GPS. And there's only one dead end street. :jjen