bultaco metralla, what would you pay?

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by mtothef, Dec 15, 2011.

1. mtothef

mtothef perpetually furrowed brow

Oddometer:
    deep in the poison oak somewhere inland of big sur
    Now that the garage full of Yamaha thumpers is relatively stable, I'm feeling the itch for an old two stroke street bike. There are a few different RD350, R5, DS7 options kicking around my locale at the moment in various states of degradation. But for reasons that are probably best left unexplored, I have a real hankering for a Bultaco Metralla.

There's a mk8 200 for sale on the local craigslist, running, ratty, mostly together. Dude is asking $3300 for it. That seems steep, but then again this is one of the first gen Metrallas, and therefore might somehow be more valuable in some eyes. There are also scads of Bultaco dirt bikes from the 70s around, and the trend seems to be that Pursangs fetch a lot of coin, Alpinas don't, and Matadors tend to vary greatly depending on condition and state of delusion on the seller's part. But info about Metrallas, and what they may or may not be worth, seems scarce.

For my part, I am not concerned about collectibility. I want a small-bore two stroke street bike, totally happy doing a frame up rebuild if need be, but intend to have a bike to ride as opposed to show. But I haven't really been paying attention to the old bike market aside from occasionally gasping in pain when I see shitty old motocross bikes being flogged for $4k on craigslist, and Metrallas aren't too common around here, so I don't know what the general range of worth might be.

What words of wisdom do the sage heads here have on the subject? What should a mid-California grease monkey expect to fork over for his next mid-life crisis aversion project?
  2. Rich B

Rich B Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Metralla's are not cheap...anywhere. :eek1 If they are equipped with an "America" kit, the price goes even higher.

The more complete the better. And verify the M numbers on frame and engine are real live Metralla M numbers before you fork over your coin. There are similar models using similar engines/frames that people are flogging as Metralla's.
  3. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did the curious about Metralla shopping in the very early 90's, and like you, in the general bay area. Good, running, original, clean ones, the few I came across were in the $4000 range. (A couple were for sale at Sears point classic shows/races). Those are 20 year old prices, so I am not sure what additive there might be.
  4. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man, who wouldn't pay over 3k for such a beautiful machine:

[​IMG]
  5. PSchrauber

PSchrauber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Summer: Kemiö, Finland; Winter: North Germany
    A Bultaco Metralla Kit American, from the 60 to 70's complete, is around 5,000 - 6,000 up to 7,500 € here,
    (depending the overall status of the bike).

Newer models in decent status from around 3,000 to 5.000 € in their homeland, (Spain).

Replicas made out of Metralla engine and Mercurio frames are around 2,500 €.

So 3,300 $ sounds good, but have some personal problems with Metralla and MK8, which year is the Bul made?
  6. east high

east high Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What's the American kit? My friend has an original condition Metralla with stock bars and factory clip-ons that are in the original box. It's a sweet bike.
  7. bgoodsoil

bgoodsoil Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer:
    dammit people, stop with the Bultaco threads until I get money :umph
  8. mtothef

Oddometer:
    good input, people. thanks for the perspective.

pschrauber, my apologies. not a mk8, i meant to type model 8. 200cc 4 speed, do not know the year, it is missing side panels and the tank has a questionable repaint, but if i was to guess, i would think it is 1965. will know more after i talk some with the seller...
  9. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:
    Metralla are so rare that you will be paying plenty if you can find one (unless you mow the lawn for a senile grandma with one in the garage under an old blanket).

If you just want to buzz around on a 2 stroke for cheap thrills, prowl CL and go Japanese.

I love the smell of race gas in the morning, it's like... VICTORY!
  10. mtothef

Oddometer:
    you are assuming that i possess common sense.

okay, talked a bit with the owner - no paperwork at all, bike runs, rims are straight, everything works, tank is straight but has had a later model gas cap welded into place, might be slightly negotiable on price, but is unwilling to talk much on the phone.

hmmm...

http://images.craigslist.org/5Q45W45P63nc3me3l2bcc7331520cec111010.jpg
  11. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    Looked at the ad....go buy it because this is the LAST time you'll see one for that price that isn't totally hashed out. Even if you have to flip it after some TLC you'll make money.
  12. stainlesscycle

stainlesscycle Long timer

Oddometer:

or you could ride it around, and fall in love with it. i was working on one for a friend, got it running, went for a spin, the instant i got off the bike, i called and asked him if he would like to sell it. they ride NICE.
  13. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    Of course that IS what is going to happen. :rofl
  14. stainlesscycle

stainlesscycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    plus it's got spain's version of oil injection :rofl
  15. mtothef

Oddometer:
    i was afraid someone would come along and say that.
  16. darmst6829

darmst6829 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 200 has a 4 speed gear box and a single leading shoe front brake. Not the same as the later 5 speed bikes. If the bike has a title and is complete I would think the price is OK. It is tough to justify spending so much on what is a really simple motorcycle but folks who own them just love them and Bultaco made so few.

Dave
  17. PSchrauber

PSchrauber Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1

There are big value differences between the models, early Metrallas are worth a lot, at least here in Europe and getting rare too, you don't find them everyday and everywhere.

Your Metralla modell 8 should be a "Metralla 62", build 1962 - 1966. Number start from 800.001 to 804.919.
    The model you can buy should have a number somwhere in between.

[​IMG]

This is the very first Metralla model!
  18. mtothef

Oddometer:
    thanks for the perspectives and further clarification. now for the noob question - where do they stamp the numbers on old bultacos?
  19. PSchrauber

PSchrauber Long timer

Oddometer:
    The numbers are normally directly stamped to the steering head of the frame on the right side, engine number should be stamped üpön the engine case on the right side. The numbers should match too. (At least on my bikes which are later Bul's).
  20. Trialsguy

Trialsguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    **sigh** You know those bikes that you once had , and now wish you would have just tucked in the corner of the garage under a blanket ? That's one of mine that I should have. A '66 250 that I picked up as a basket case in a trade , fixed up , then traded for something else again. Damn.