The official XT225 thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by wickerman777, Nov 4, 2006.

1. nuggets

nuggets It's all my fault...

Oddometer:
    We are glad to have you here, but FYI:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403156&highlight=xt250
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439634&highlight=xt250

for the 2013
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797755&highlight=xt250

They can probably be more help if you have a specific engine issue.

I for one would love to have your rear disc brake and stronger rear wheel.

Your bike is so pretty. Mine was like that when I got it, but I have flogged all the shiny and new right off of it.

:thumb
  2. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Don't know that the specs will be in the owner's manual, but you should be able to take some measurements and find a ProTaper SE (Seven-Eights, as in 7/8" diameter) that works. You can view/download a non-printing pdf version of the owner's manual by going here:
    http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/service/viewmanuals/sport_manuals.aspx
  3. kewlbyme

kewlbyme Occasional Partaker

Oddometer:
    I really like these.

Tusk Mini High Bend Bars - Awesome, make standing excellent. Ordered Here

Tusk Hand Guards - Excellent product! Ordered HERE

Progrip 714 Grips - Ordered HERE . They are good. I also like Progrip 737's, found HERE , which I have used many times and might actually prefer.

Write up and pictures for bars and guards in THIS thread. I am DSCR over there.

Larger pegs from DMO - Pricey but no alternative and an excellent product. Ordered HERE

These made off road MUCH better.

I like'em a lot.
  4. gbacque

gbacque Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is because there are no phillips screws on Japanese bikes. They use JIS screws.

[​IMG]
    Very similar but if you use use a phillips screw driver on the JIS screw you can see from the image above that it would not seat all the way to the bottom. If you grip just the lip of the fastener then it will strip out very easily. An undersized phillips fits much better but then you are giving up surface area and still risk stripping it. Finding a quality JIS screwdriver in the states can be a bit of a challenge. For some reasons most places don't carry them. So you might need to order it online.

On that bowl though, they have pan heads on them so there is just enough meat to grab that thing with some vice grips.
  5. greasespot

greasespot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey, which wheels are direct bolt-ons to the xt? Someone mentioned TTR225 wheels. True? Any others?

TIA,

Greasespot
  6. DominoTree

DominoTree EX250 Warrior

Oddometer:
    Any options for a center stand since it looks like Cigar Mike is out of the game?
  7. nuggets

nuggets It's all my fault...

Oddometer:
    My research indicates that the ttr225 wheel can be bolted on, but you need the ttr brake assembly also, and will have to modify it slightly. The ttr hub is larger in diameter, so the rear brake is not a direct swap. I have not confirmed this with the parts in hand, just via parts fiche and google searches.

My rear wheel is currently disassembled. I have ordered a new rim, and a set of thicker straight gauge spokes. I considered switching to a ttr wheel, but I can get the spokes and rim for $130 less, and I don't mind lacing and truing up the wheel myself.
  8. KamperBob

KamperBob Recreation Engineer

Oddometer:
    +1

My 2006 still runs great with stock tuning. Going on 28k miles. Haven't been above 10,000' yet. I'm currently at -200' (Death Valley). Judging from posts here I must be lucky not to have a problem that needs fixing. Yamaha got mine right anyway. :1drink
  9. woofer2609

woofer2609 Less flow, more Gnar

Oddometer:
    I own a ttr225 wheel that I use on my xt. It requires some mods discussed here:
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178968&page=478
    Post #7168
    The big brake is :clap
    Easy, fast swap.
    FWIW, I got my wheel for under $120 WITH a tire and tube, make sure you get the brake assembly, however. I love having two wheels. The hard part is the drilling of the sprocket, but it isn't too bad for someone w/ a drill press.
  10. Lizrdbrth

Lizrdbrth Wackjob

Oddometer:
    Any chance that you have a pic of the TTR backing plate?

Preferably unmounted.

The same 110/130 swap can be done to the TW. Slightly different hardware, but the backing plate is key.

Help a cousin out.
  11. GlennF33

GlennF33 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have one of the last ones he made. I haven't put it on yet as I can raise my bike on a platform floor jack to do any service requiring elevation. Nice workmanship. I would like to sell it.
  12. Dirt2Street

Dirt2Street Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So 7/8 is what you went with? I'm looking at renthals right now because I'm a young kid, (17) so lets face it, this thing will be layed down a time or two..hopefully not anytime soon though. :l Dreading that day. :lol3 But anyways, I need something that'll hold up and these renthals i'm looking at are on sale and are a REALLY good deal for the brand. All my friends, even a few that race(d) MX had and have Renthal and say they're the best..
    How do the tusks do on pavement? I'm up for suggestions.. All :ear
  13. kewlbyme

kewlbyme Occasional Partaker

Oddometer:
    7/8 is standard size. If you go with the 1 1/8 bars dont forget the adapter. They are only thicker at the center clamping area. They too, are 7/8 at the grips. I went with standard 7/8. My son in law dumped the bike and wacked the guards pretty hard and twisted the forks. The bars were unmolested.

The Tusk is great on the road or off. My second XT was acquired with a Renthal bar and risers. They are fine too, just wider. The Renthal/riser combo raises the height about the same as the Tusk Mini High's. I have Moose guards on the Renthals.

I personally like the Tusk Mini High Bend better because of the inherent height without risers. The Renthals are fine bars regardless.

I show pictures of both in the thread I posted above.
  14. Roadrunner

Roadrunner -Negativus Supersonicus-

Oddometer:
  15. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    Anyone here who could shed some light on my shock conversion? I was under the impression that the TTR 225/230 rear shock would bolt onto the 225. I just received my shock off Ebay and there are 2 things that are different.
    The bottom yoke that bolts to the swingarm is a lot more narrow than the 225.2nd problem is the top mounting bolt is smaller than the 225. Any help appreciated!
  16. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer:
    Can't say the the 235 and 230 shock are the same. But the TTR225 is a 100% bolt up match with the XT225. I have done this swap myself.
    Either the TTR 225 and 230 are different or you got the wrong shock.
  17. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    Thanks Richbebe,I guess that the TTR 225 shock is different than the TTR 230. Oh well,back to Ebay.:nortonThanks.
  18. Crazy Canadian

Crazy Canadian All who wander r not lost

Oddometer:
    They are different, I got mine off ebay but it was from a local dismantling shop and he had both.
  19. pnw

pnw Long timer

Oddometer:
    I picked up a clean ‘06 xt225 today so my son will go riding with me. Nice small light bike, my DR350 feels like a bloated pig in comparison. The tires could use replacing, the stock rear is 120/80, does that translate to Shinko 244 4.60? From reading some of the tire posts it sounds like sizes aren’t the same from one manufacturer to the other, some posts mention 4.10 for this bike. Front should be Shinko 2.75 right?

Thanks
  20. KamperBob

KamperBob Recreation Engineer

Oddometer:
    Great year! :D I'm currently running 80/90-21 and 120/80-18 which translate to 3.1 and 4.7 inch widths. If I ran knobbies for more off road I wouldn't go any bigger but I run Pirelli A/T Scorpion MT90 front and rear (thanks again Dan Oaks) so one size larger should fit. At ~23k miles the rear tire is finally getting bald. Slightly longer legs would suit me fine so that's my Q1 plan. The front tire still looks good so I'll defer that. When I do a size larger may not quite fix the speedo but it should be closer to actual.

Rock on!