Why do BMWs' cost so much to run??

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Domromer, Dec 28, 2012.

1. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    the Ozark, Boston, Kiamichi and Ouachita Mnts
    LB, it's a shameful how you're trying to drive down the cost of you "future" replacement parts. :lol3
  2. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

Luckily you quoted me, now it's been said twice and I didn't have to say it. :wink:
  3. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Domromer,

Here are my experiences relative to your question.

I bought a new 2007 GSA in 2008, and didn't really start riding it much until 2009. (It replaced a 93' GS for me.)

To this point I've put about 88K miles on it. I've not babied it, but I've not really abused it either. It has seen several thousand miles of off-road riding. I feel that I've basically used it for the purposes it was intended.

I know I'm probably just jinxing the livin' shit out of myself here ..................... BUT, I'VE NOT HAD ONE MOMENT OF TROUBLE OUT OF THE BIKE. Seriously, not one thing. It's been only consumables and routine service. I did have the OEM battery fail within the first year, but I sorta' consider that to be a consumable.

I do the routine service myself. Since I ride 20-25K miles a season, I try to take it in to the dealer once a season to have them just check it over with a fine tooth comb. It's probably a false sense of security on my part, but I like having a guy that does nothing but service BMWs five days a week give it a good going over. Plus, EVERY time I've taken it in for the yearly check up, there was some sort of factory recall warranty work (ignition sensor ring, brake line, electrical component, etc.) that needed addressing, that was always done free of charge.

My experience couldn't have been more positive. I really have enjoyed that big pig. I know it's going to leave me walking one of these days .............. but I sure as hell don't sit around and worry about it. :lol3 (All the miles I put on my old airhead were trouble free also.) The GSA WAS NOT my first choice of bike. I think the 990/950 KTM would be a better tool for the type of riding I do. But, I'm a big tall guy and the 1200 was way more comfortable for me. Ergonomics is really the main reason why I ended up on the GSA. In retrospect I'm glad that I made the choices that I did.

One thing you'll learn about BMer riders is that we have our fair share of whiners and complainers. My guess is that most of those have unrealistic expectations, or they just like to hear themselves bitch. My professional diagnosis is that they just don't get enough "throttle therapy". :evil

No complaints from me though. :D

Good Luck, and hope this New Year has you bonding with a good bike!

Pm me if you have any specific questions.

Rob
  4. Domromer

Domromer Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    Good reading here..thanks again for all the thoughtful responses. I think when i get back from vacation I'm going to schedule a test ride with the local bmw dealer.
  5. Bill-66

Bill-66 The End of the Republic is upon us... Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, you' 're worried about a new GS, and are comparing it to your old bike (fair enough)..that has almost a year's worth of miles on it. God Damn, I hope it was problem free...it was hardly broke in.

I hear this from Harley guys all the time.."my fxltshgckm never had a problem, it was a '97 model...had almost 8000 miles on it...when I sold it"

:lol3
  6. DSTEVENS

DSTEVENS Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Hy Domromer, enjoy your vacation, and test ride the GS, I spent four and a half years on a wee strom, and I got bored with it, but it was a very good bike. I test rode a GSA and loved it, but could not afford at the time. So I waited a few more years and when Tenere came out I tried to like it but still had GSA on my mind, so after selling off all the extras I purchased 2013 GSA. Let me tell you that they are really expensive and even though I have only 743 miles on it I have spent several thousand dollars............ Mainly because it fell on me when I was unloading it out of my truck, HA HA HA. lucky for me my body broke its fall... did I say that? I love this forum, I have moved recently and have not seen my shiny new triple black GSA for 2 weeks. I sure miss riding. By the way I did see some offroaders in Comstock recently, A GSA, Vstrom and ? Any you guys? Best wishes Domromer. D.
  7. So_Lost

So_Lost Long timer

Oddometer:
    I too am a multi-time Vstrom owner & although I'm very pleased with my current Vstrom 650, I continue to long for a new'ish GS1200.

I'm still on the fence but definitely feeling better about the "cost of ownership" component.

Good thread. Thanks to all the GS ownwers for posting experiences.:clap
  8. gsweave

gsweave Yinz, blinkers are on, JACKWAD! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. Domromer

Domromer Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    An18 year old bike with 55k on the clock for 4k...its all yours.

I must have my bike value aligned with Japanese bikes because I'd not pay more than $2500.

A bike that old is a restoration in progress. Not something for someone who likes to keep the wrenching to a minimum.
  10. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

That is exactly the number I thought when I looked at it, but the reality is that new GS' are 20k and that alone is propping up the used market. So, for a bike that should have the trans pulled to check splines and the final rebuilt, asking $4200 obo is probably a good starting point.
  11. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    You obviously don't know BMWs very well.

I just purchased a 2005 R1200GS with 120K miles on it and no accessories for $4500.

It runs perfectly. 55K miles is not a lot of miles, and that year was not prone to issues.

Jim :brow
  12. Domromer

Domromer Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    Maybe it's old enough to have some vintage appeal and value.
  13. BTL

BTL No more snow!!

Oddometer:
    St Albert. Alberta Canada. IBA Member 50093
    Low mileage for sure...but I am stuck in winter wonderland. I really hope the added fairing and weather protection give me some weeks at either end of season.

My 109R looks like showroom condition and a small bidding war has started from prospective buyers. :clap
  14. gsweave

gsweave Yinz, blinkers are on, JACKWAD! Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Pearls...

It's a barely broken in daily driver.

enjoy your fishing expedition
  15. Domromer

Domromer Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    Fishing.... No not really. Just someone who looks at bikes objectively. I've got no horse in this race.
  16. Domromer

Domromer Desert Rat

Oddometer:
    I don't know them well at all. I base my opinions on my experience with yamaha, kawasaki, and honda. All I know about BMW's is what I read online from current and past owners.
  17. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    The very high percentage of us who have ZERO problems rarely post until the noise gets so loud that we try to inject some sanity into the conversation. Quite honestly, if your concerned by the problems you read about you might never be comfortable. Best of luck to you.
  18. vintagerider

vintagerider Long timer

Oddometer:
    re: 1995 1100 GS in fm $4,500

That's generally true but... In spite of the common perception regarding age, the 1100 resale value keeps rising for a reason and it has nothing to do with vintage appeal. Shortly after the intro of the 1150 a four year old could be had for $3,500. Then for a long while the 1100 remained an insider secret until the word got out about the reliability backed up by ride reports.

It is quite possible to find an 1100 or early 1150 that has been extremely well maintained and has more life left in her than a younger gal. Generalizations based on age alone are not valid. Utility value depends entirely on actual condition. Therein lies the challenge because it takes time and experience to perform a thorough inspection.

Each iteration of the GS has its strengths and weaknesses. Every one one of them is unique even within a given model year. Since you are value driven you may wish to place a little less emphasis on vintage and odometer.
  19. PukaWai

PukaWai Long timer

Oddometer:
    My GS is pretty high maintenance. Every 300 miles or so it wants yet ANOTHER $30+ tank full of gas, sometimes 2 or even three times a day, and then every 10,000 miles or so it wants yet ANOTHER $300 set of tires... I could save a lot of money by trading it in on a Hardly Ableson, then I could just get a $2 can of chrome polish every month. :D
  20. madleemark

madleemark Restless

Oddometer:
    ive never thought my bmw bikes were expensive to run, maybe ive been lucky, apart from tyres/pads/oil etc, in the last 10 years on three bikes, the spare parts that have been needed are very few, my R1200c had a new rear light, a battery, and a flasher unit in 50,000miles, it was 5years old when i bought it. the R1150gsa has been a fun bike to ride, but i did have to put a new battery on it. i know if the abs pump or final drive fails it can cost a lot to fix using new parts and having a dealer do the work, but there so easy to work on and theres lots of second hand parts about, it makes sense to fix it yourself. good maintainance helps, again so easy to do.even the tyres seem to last a fair few miles.