CRF450X as an adventure bike

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by rmhrc628, Jun 9, 2010.

1. EduardoMas

EduardoMas Spartan Overlander

Oddometer:
    Rios, unless you need to carry a pessenger in comfort or lots of heavy luggage stick with the XR650R, you will find the KLR way too melow. Fix something to the seat for comfort if needed.

I want to hear more about the 450 project.
    At a local ride I heard a 2010 Paris Dakar finisher, Patrick Trahan, talk about how reliable the Honda 450s were. (One engine change, half way through the PD rally, not because they had to chage it but because they had a spare).
    So look at the preps of the Dakar Honda 450s, specially if money is not a limiting factor.

Saludos,
    Eduardo
    XR650R, ex KLR
  2. Garthe

Garthe ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

rm, I've seen pictures of your XR I think on TT. Your bike impressed me soooo much I printed pictures of it for my files. What a GREAT looking bike. I've always wanted to get a 600 and was going to use your photos as a bench mark. I'm a big fan of my XRR and have always been tempted to buy a 450 X. Can't wait to see what YOU can do with your new bike. :thumb :bow
  3. RAD800

RAD800 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I dont think your being honest with yourself, as cool, interesting and awsome as this project would be your about to rebuild the wheel in the name of brand loyalty.
    The 08 onwards engines in the KTM's the oil migration i tought was a simple fix they would take care of under warranty, and the cam chain tensioner is a simple cheap fix also.
    The weird handling i agree with, but it has so much more going for it than the CRF, if the only real gripe you have other than brand loyalty is that it "handles weird". You really need to reconsider and at least go test ride a 530 or even a late RFS 525.

Just my 2 bobs worth.
  4. Garthe

Oddometer:
    RAD800, with ALL due respect I have to say that I understand the OP position. I to have be a long standing Honda fan. I know sometimes it like swimming up stream. But I can't help myself. I've ALWAYS leaned towards the 'other' choice. I just can't jump on the KTM band wagon.

RIDE RED...
    seasider likes this.
  5. RAD800

RAD800 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mate im... was exactly the same way, and i know where he's coming from its just sometimes theres a cheaper more suitable option somewhere else, has nothing to do with jumping on the KTM bandwagon they just happen to make a more suitable bike out of the box that has little to no problems.
  6. ktm950se

ktm950se Banned

Oddometer:
    Greetings,
    My local Honda dealer has offered me a new 2008 CRF450X for $6500.
    This seems a bit high for a 2 (almost 3) year old bike.
    What is a fair price to pay for it?
    Were there any improvments to the '09 and '10s that would make them vastly superior to an '08?

ktm950se
  7. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in. Sounds cool to me. :lurk
  8. xr400r

xr400r Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't give a dollar over 5k otd AT MOST!!!

Give'm 4500
  9. CodeMonkee

CodeMonkee Geek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Or consider a '09 or later Husaberg which has not weird handling, but great handling by all accounts.

I keep hearing people talk about KTMs as if they are some fragile finicky race bike, and they really aren't.
  10. Ruffus

Ruffus Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer:
    IIRC Baja Designs used to make a wide ratio gear set. Give them a call, they may have a set sitting on a bench collecting dust.
  11. Garthe

Oddometer:
    As I say to my six year son,... 'your NOT listening, your just talking'.

:dunno

Let the man have his fun...If you want to help, GREAT. If you don't, spare us the 'You have to buy a KTM bullshit'. :thumb

Cheers.
    hockeyrick likes this.
  12. RAD800

RAD800 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I never said have to, i just said take one for a test ride because it fit better... I guess what i was trying to get at was ride one, look for reasons to but it whatever it is, not just reasons not to buy something that isn't red.

But anyway i'd like to see it happen, reagrdless of what id do.
  13. Bob599

Bob599 Bob599

Oddometer:
    The land of Beer and Cheese (Hartland WI)
    I dual sported a Honda CRF 450 R. What a mistake. The biggest problem is the close ratio transmission. Don't bother calling Baja Des. they don't make them anymore since the 450x came out. They told me to get one of those they have a wide ratio transmission. And before you check no you cannot put a X trany in a R already went down that route. If somebody came out with a wide ratio gear set for the R think of all the bikes out there that would be back on the road. I put a trailtech battery back up on and the lights, gps and everything worked great. Just that transmission sucked.

Seriously you should ride a x before you buy. They are very different from the R just so you know.

You can do it, only takes money.
  14. tomtom

tomtom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking forward watching this project progress.
    I've owned a '06 450x for the last 2 years and it's really been an awesome machine soo far.
    Engine is bone stock and after a few dozen hours of trail riding it was converted to a street legal sumo. Several thousand miles of backroad/highway riding and half a dozen hard trackdays and she's still running like new. Just watch the oil and valves and you'll be good.
    The X already has a wide ratio tranny soo don't worry about that.
    If you're planning on being in traffic, consider a fan kit or making your own.
    hockeyrick likes this.
  15. smacka

smacka Tripper head

Oddometer:
    I dual sported a 2006 CRF450X for two years and 12,000km

[​IMG]

in 2008 I switched to a KTM530 and I'm still riding it

[​IMG]

As has already been stressed, the Honda's biggest achilles heel is its 5 speed gearbox. First is always too high and top gear always has the motor over-worked at a reasonable open road cruising speed. I love how you can snick the 530 into 6th at 60 mph and she just idles along. Performance wise I'd rate them neck and neck up to 60mph whereupon the orange bike would hit top gear and just purr away into the distance. The Honda's wishbone frame does has its advantages, but there are just as many downsides access wise. I do agree that the Honda does wear a little better over time ie the metals used in its construction aren't as subject to corrosion.

Can't understand the comments regardng the KTM's weird handling:huh . i've always found the handling very good and I don't feel any need to run a steering damper. Oh and Garthe, this is not a 'You have to buy a KTM bullshit' response. I'm just passing on my related first-hand experience/observations :deal .
  16. Bob599

Bob599 Bob599

Oddometer:
    The land of Beer and Cheese (Hartland WI)
    Its not KTM bull shit. KTM just sets up their race bikes as dual sports. Not only do they come with better stators, lights, but you can get things like bigger tanks, and fan kits from the factory. Shit even HID lights from the the factory. And the all elusive DOT plate. They and the other European manf. have really gone after this market and our Japanese friends have ignored it. They build moto bikes only. You can dual sport it but its harder. So for many its easier with a better product for what they are doing. Not saying its better just not the same.
  17. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the case here in Commiefornia. For all practical purposes you can not plate a dirt bike here.:cry
  18. RallyMoto

RallyMoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :ear How's the project coming along?
  19. JoelSchmenge

JoelSchmenge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the vernacular of some ad agency speak JUST DO IT!!! I myself can't wait as I also want to mod my XR650L like your 600. Nice bit of work there mate.

I just purchased a '09 450X for C-H-E-A-P and this thing with some minor uncorking and fiddling is a dream. In no way is it comparable to the venerable "L" as both are designed and destined for different duties. As long as people keep that in mind then they will be alright.

As to your wanting to do the "X" I say do it man... and quickly as I need more insperation.

Cheers,
    Dave Morgan
    a.k.a. Joel Schmenge
    hockeyrick likes this.
  20. WIBO

WIBO Will it buff out?

Oddometer: