f800GS centerstand

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by 1B1M5W0, Oct 28, 2008.

1. blatant

blatant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    fwiw, the bmw stand does pretty well or actually very well in softer stuff compared to the other b/c of its gigantic footprint. It doesn't look as sexy when it's snapped back up into place but for utility and ease of lift to get the bike up, its a big winner for me.
  2. Corona

Corona Dreaming of Dreaming

Oddometer:
    As a word of warning, if you have the BMW stand and the BMW pannier racking system be careful trying to haul it up when its a little wet. My hand slipped when yanking the bike hard to get it onto the stand and nearly sliced open one of my fingers on the mounting tabs on the racking system.
  3. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have had several weeks on the SW Motech stand (Pictured on the levitating bike above) I don't see why anyone would pay more for the heavier, more expensive, bulkier, stock stand. Yes it has a bigger footprint - big deal. You don't park these things in a mud puddle even in a swamp. Dave
  4. stin987

stin987 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    Just got done installing my BMW center stand. The only hard park was the springs. After I figured out how to attach one spring the other was no problem. Great stand. I like the curved bottom, it makes it roll onto the stand easier. It really isn't ugly, you just have to get used to it. I actually think the sw motech is ugly. This is not very practical but I like the look of no side stand or center stand (motocross style).
  5. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    I've had the BMW one fitted since new. My main reason for wanting to change is decking the stand in fast road riding when cornering. Can you confirm the SW Motech stand meets the claim that it does not lower ground clearance at all (IE something else would touch down first)?
  6. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    As I have posted many times there is no substitute for a spring tool. It is cheap and readily available. I can't understand why someone would do it any other way.
  7. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    The OEM stand is the best stand IMO. I've tried a couple of others including the SW Motech, and they do not work as well as the OEM stand.
  8. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    The OEM stand is much easier to deploy and more stable than any other aftermarket stand I have had on the bike. I have no idea about ground clearance - never checked it on different stands.
  9. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    I agree and to not have one in the garage is a bit silly; but it is a lot of bulk (given the difficulty in packing traditional T-shaped one's) for a tool you will only need very rarely at the roadside. I tried to make a compact DIY one that you put a screwdriver through the end of. This was to carry with me to allow me to remove the centre stand at the road side, due to the afformentioned ground clearance problems. This was for a trip to the Nurburgring forming part of a longer trip where I wanted the centrestand. It didn't work very well and I settled on the old "coins in the coils" (deeply inserted by the pliers on a leatherman) method.

As to the OEM stand. I agree it is great for holding the rear of the bike in the air and even for parking on waterlogged grass/mud, probably moreso than most aftermarket ones, given the surface area. As someone who does most of his miles on road and gets a fair degree of lean angle, ground clearance is important to me. So much so that to get it, I'd be prepared to sacrifice the wet ground parking and the additional protection of the cat' that the TT centrestand plate gives.
  10. stin987

stin987 R1200GSA

Oddometer:
    Did you get your springs installed? It took me about 5-10 mins of trial and error thinking on how to install the springs without special tools. After I figured out the first spring I had the second one installed within minutes. I used a long strong flat head. Step 1: Install the center stand with the bike on the side stand and torque all bolts. Step 2: Carefully mount the bike onto the center stand and kick side stand up. Step 3: Install top section of the spring, then put the screw driver through the bottom section of the spring while prying the screw driver into the hole/slot where the spring will hook. (Difficult to explain). Then just pull/pry the screw driver down and it the spring down the screw drivers shaft at the same time with you hand or hammer. The last part is a little tricky just take a second screw driver and work the hook into the slot. Sounds difficult in writing but once figured out it is pretty easy.

If I had to install it again I could probaly do it in less than 10 minutes. Although I do work for a BMW dealership fixing cars for a living so it just comes natural. I am always finding a faster way of doing things.

Good luck to all.
  11. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    Installed with no drama whatsoever, and I am no more than average when it comes to strength. There are so many springs on motorcycles that a spring tool is right up there with a chain breaker if you own a few bikes.
  12. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    I just put mine on tonight. My Snap-On drum brake pliers / spring tool worked perfect.
    I don't think the whole job took more then 15 minutes including putting away the tools. in fact it took longer to unpack the stand from all the bubble wrap it had around it.
  13. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine didn't come with the center stand, for the the OEM center stand, is there part number that you can order the whole thing with spring, bolts, etc? How much?

Thanks.
  14. PatoM

PatoM Adventurer

Oddometer:
  15. mustardfj40

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Is there a reason why it cannot be installed on a lower F650GS Twin?
  16. the_IT_Cowboy

the_IT_Cowboy n00b

Oddometer:
    Just completed the install of the BMW Center Stand. I can't speak to ground clearance as I currently have a flat, which prompted me to finally get this installed!

The fit is very good, the finish not as much, as others have noted.

Tool used for spring pull: $6.99 harbor freight "Headlight/Brake Spring Hook"
    Headlight/Brake Spring Hook
    Pittsburgh - item#95757
    Pasted from <http://www.harborfreight.com/spring-hook-95757.html>

Notes:

• A lift (shown in the install guide) was not needed to complete the install.
    • The easiest way to hook the spring is with the stand in the up position.
    • The BMW hook tool is straight, the harbor freight tool has a slight bend but worked fine.

• Someone in this thread (Bucko) mentioned the paint wore off and I am also seeing that already. I am thinking about trying some Gaffer (Any photography store will have this, like B&H) tape (which does not leave a residue on removal) around the part that touches ground to save it from abrasion.
  17. petzi-baer

petzi-baer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like they changed the center stand design on the 2013 model ...
  18. CAN-ADVer

CAN-ADVer From NB to ... :)

Oddometer:
    Hey guys! I'm kind of on a budget for my ride... And I am pretty skilled in steel fabrication, and verrryyy patient :p So I was wondering if any of you would take a picture of where and how the rotation of the stand stops, and where the spring is mounted! I would try to make my own and post a how to make a centerstand thread for others like me! Thank you in advance!:ear
  19. mustardfj40

Oddometer:
    Update: Found a like-new F650GS OEM center stand and installed on my F650GS, I really like it. I used a thin-nose-grip-vise pliers to install the springs, it was simple. This will make chain lubing easier.

[​IMG]
  20. CAN-ADVer

CAN-ADVer From NB to ... :)

Oddometer:
    Here it is!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Works great and saved $$$