EWS Immobilizer antenna threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by CarbonCat, Apr 8, 2006.

1. mrmaico

mrmaico Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here's what it should look like....

[​IMG]
  2. bonox

bonox Tryin Hard

Oddometer:
    May I ask where you guys are reading the number from?

I have a 2007 model (09/2006 plated), for which the square antenna block with the wires running to it (and sitting in front of the key barrel)

reads

4135 7696463-10
    PBT GF20 < REC25
    FCC ID QB4 1417121

Have I got a different one to the 136, 207, 247 models, or am i not looking in the right spot?
  3. adamr

adamr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think you got the old 63 # which may preceed the others. I didn't check, the entire #, but in 07/2007 mine was replaced with one ending in 63 (too lazy to go check right now; I don't know what my original # was).
  4. whisperquiet

whisperquiet Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Bonox,

My '07 GSA has a "463" also..........I just bought a spare "247" to carry in case of failure and in the near future, my dealer is going to replace the "463" ring antenna.
  5. bonox

bonox Tryin Hard

Oddometer:
    oh well - it has been good so far, and my ZN VIN is nowhere near the ones above, so i'll probably let it lie.
  6. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    Can the active antenna [one plugged in] pick up and read the key in the ignition? Do you really need that spare key laying in it? Have you tried it without spare key?
  7. Gyromaniac

Gyromaniac Betty Crocker w/ wrenches

Oddometer:
    Sorry if this has been covered; I quickly scanned the 180+ pages on this topic.

This morning, after camping out at 5,300 feet near the divide in Montana, my 2005 1200GS gave me the EWS warning; I'd slept on top of my Aerostich, with several keys in the pocket; now I see my rider's guide says that's a no-no. After an hour of trying, waiting, trying again, I figured the key needed electrolytes, so I . . . ahem . . . wiped it under my armpits (I was camping, remember) and I'll be darned if it didn't start up.

So, what is the official, legitimate fix for thie idiotic EWS problem when you're way the hell away from your spare key?
    TIA
  8. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    Consensus is that the problem isn't related to the key. It is the ring.

Experience shows that once you have seen the EWS once you are very likely to be completely stranded in the near future.

[TaSK]
  9. TerraSurfer

TerraSurfer Obe-1-k-n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've just bought an April 2008 build GS and my ring antenna went at 300km! Replaced today.
  10. BMWRich

BMWRich Long timer

Oddometer:
    .....with several keys in the pocket; now I see my rider's guide says that's a no-no.

I understand that only if BOTH keys are near the A'ring at the same time,that the A'ring can become confused.....
  11. cjack

cjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I tried holding the active antenna ring near the ign (and key) I got various results depending on how close I put the ring. Some have found it to work reliably, but I found it works better to place a spare key in the active antenna.
  12. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    Thanks for actual experience with keys/antenna/proximity.

Gyro...If you do have an antenna failure it is the first 2005 I have heard of having one..but as you say with all the posts on this forum and numerous other ones who knows..I could have missed it.

It was my understanding also that keys do not "contaminate" keys but two keys can confuse the antenna..

Also buried in these posts are "EWS' warnings generated by dead or dying battery....not in my owner's book, but folks have reported it.
  13. PacWestGS

PacWestGS Life Is The Adventure!

Oddometer:
    My bike's in getting the new RF ring and computer updates. I also purchased a spare RF antenna just in case (cheap insurance).

Also, as it was explained to me the spare antenna does not need to stay connected if the main one fails. Remove the two little Torx screws and pull the circut box, unplug it and plug the wire into the new antenna. Put one key in ignition and hold the other key near the ring. Start bike - then unplug and remove the spare antenna and place in safekeeping spot until needed again. If at that point you get home without turning the bike off well, you only need to do this once. :wink:

The bike runs, you only need the antenna during start-up.
  14. st247

st247 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Numbnuts, wrong bloody thread.
  15. cjack

cjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The first one to fail somewhat was the 463. Then came the 207 and the 136 which seems to fail before you get out the door. All are involved in the Campaign.

16. PRW

PRW living @ 11.5740741uHz Supporter

Oddometer:
    The new legitimate solution for EWS! Failures: Make sure you always have nasty, sweaty, stinky armpits and you won't ever need to worry about carrying a spare antenna ring! :super
  17. PackRat

PackRat Huey Guns Supporter

Oddometer:
    Surely you jest - the lawyers will not let them!

Common sense isn't!:lol3

18. PNW08

PNW08 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine just failed while getting off the wa. state ferries into seattle. Nice push since I was late getting on I was in the back . Had to push the full length then up the ramp with my GSA loaded. They did help push up the ramp thank god. Though they had to remind me that it is usually HD's that are pushed off not BMW's.
    I have been packing a spare antenna ever since the forum has been reporting the failures. I hooked up the spare put my plastic key in the ignition put the spare over the top off the plastic key and she started right up. There is enough of a lip on the spare to keep it in place while over the plastic key. No need for a second key laying there. Been running like this for a week now till I can get into the dealer no problems.
  19. xlcr

xlcr Stop being a dick, dick.

Oddometer:

Brawndo: It's got what keys crave!

[​IMG]
  20. Racegun

Racegun Single Track Mind!

Oddometer:

ARE YOU going to bring spare antenna ring?