800GS vs KLR

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by motoman250f, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    My only advice as someone who has had a couple of KLRs it to not throw money at it. Buy a skid plate and put in some fork springs if you weigh more than 150lbs then ride it. If you start worrying about brakes and rear shocks, exhaust systems, pro tapers etc..buy something else. It will be cheaper in the long run. Great bike but it is what it is.

PS - I did throw money at them.
  2. maynard58

maynard58 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is the best thing about the KLR in my case, stock is just fine,
  3. Dieselboy

Dieselboy Journey not Destination

Oddometer:
    +1
    That is the best comment I've seen on this topic. Take the KLR for what it is. It is cheap, reliable fun. Great bike. If you try to make it something else, buy something else. I too threw money at mine until it died a metal crunching death in traffic. Then I bought the F800GS.

I love both bikes. The 8GS suites my style better. But, I would and likely will own another KLR. Except next time, I'll be a bit wiser about how I mod it.
  4. Desert Dave

Desert Dave Enjoying the moment

Oddometer:
    I threw a ton of money into my KLR, an am glad I did.

Some mods were better than others, but the suspension mods were worth their weight in gold as I couldn't even compare the finished ride to a stocker in rough terrain. Other mods weren't as night and day, but made a machine I loved even better, which was worth it to me. When I sold my KLR, sure I didn't get all that money back, but big deal I got my moneys worth out of the bike while riding it. It was a labor of love :D. The day I bought mine, I knew stock wasn't going to cut it for me, as it was just a platform to create the bike I really wanted, and in the end I had a machine that worked far better for what I do. I enjoy projects an modifying, which can be an expensive habit. But you have to pay to play sometimes.

That being said, it all has to do with youir expectations. If you want a ralley bike, supermoto or sportbike you can save a lot of dough by buying a more appropriate machine. In this case if you really want an 800, then buy that as the KLR just can't be that (without a motor swap). But then, here I am again dumping money into my GS to make it mine. The GS needs some of the same upgrades as the KLR IMO, at least motor mods an exhaust isn't a priority, or even a concern for me :wink:
  5. One Eye Mike

One Eye Mike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stop trying to figure out what bike does what well and buy one of each. It's the onlt way to fill that aching hole inside of you.......:lol3
  6. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    :photog

If you don't mind, I may quote you on that. It fits so many situations.:deal

:lol3
  7. One Eye Mike

One Eye Mike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dude, it's all yours. But i'm also a subscriber to my own creedo. That's why I have 14 motorcycles. And yes, my wife hates me, but she can't stop me, either. I've been eyeing this sweet 74 elsinore 250 , it needs a new home....................:D
  8. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As a previous owner of two KLR's I can say without a doubt that there is no comparison. The BMW is in a class of its own. I have ridden the KLR around Lake Superior on the highway, and ridden it extensively off-road. The KLR is a very versatile bike. But it is what it is. It's not a BMW. I have done a lot of riding on my F800GS, and it is far superior in all aspects. It's like comparing a Honda Accord to a BMW 525i. They're just in different classes all together. The BMW is built better with better parts, higher performance, more durable, longer lasting, and has a better ride. A true testament to "you get what you pay for." I love the KLR, but I grew out of it very quick.
  9. earthroamer

earthroamer Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer:
    KLR = Honda Accord ?????:eek1
  10. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, my wife was never at peace with my motorcycle collection either. She is now my ex-wife, and I am happy to pay the alimony and live in peace.
  11. LDHunter

LDHunter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I plan to keep my 2007 KLR650 and my 2006 KLX250S when I get my F800GS. I think I may FINALLY have all the bases covered for dual sporting.

Of course I may end up needing a 990 Adventure before this is over too... :rofl :rofl :rofl :deal :rofl :rofl :rofl

$bob$
  12. WOLVERINE

WOLVERINE Keep her pinned!

Oddometer:
    I've had my KLR 650 since new (96) and last year bought the 1200GSA (LOVE IT) and now my wife wants a F650GS and gave me the go ahead for the F800GS. I love the KLR for what it is and after riding the GSA I am now setting up the KLR for Offroad only and maybe short runs to the store, Maybe.
    Can't wait to ride the F8:clap

I wonder when I go to the garage this spring to choose a ride for the day which one it will be? Mmmmmmm:D
  13. The Griz

Oddometer:
    Yeah, KLR650=Honda Accord, Toyota Corola, Hyundai Accent, etc. BMW F800GS=BMW 5-Series, Mercedes Benz S-Class, Audi A5, etc.

Build quality, durability, capabilities, power, range, comfort. This list goes on....
  14. amk

amk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Giving all the respect to the charm that aforementioned automobiles provide for their honorable owners, I do expect that in reliability/build quality terms they loose for accords and such as 1 to 1000.
  15. The Griz

Oddometer:
    Actually, a friend of mine has a BMW X5. 4 years old, the thing rides and feels just as tight as the day he first bought it. The last time I rode in it with him was 3 years ago. The other day I sat down in the passenger seat and when we took off I was shocked at the fact that it felt and sounded like new. Hondas are reliable "where it counts" in the drive train. BMWs are reliable in the drive train as well as bumper to bumper, durable bumper to bumper, and will drive like new after ten years. As the owner of a Hyundai Accent and friend of many Honda Accord owners I can attest to this. My Accent is falling apart after 4 years. My KLR's were cheaply put together at the factory with cheap, weak fasteners. I had to upgrade almost every nut and bolt on the thing cuz they'd break from normal usage. As well as the fact that I had to do a ton of upgrades just to get it to ride well. My stock F800GS rides better than my farkled KLR by a long shot!
  16. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Just curious what kind of 'real world' fuel mileage are you or any other GS800 owners are getting? Specs claim ~62mpg @ 56mph. Unfortunately, that's premium fuel as that's what it calls for.

One thing difficult for anyone to argue is the KLR's range. 300 miles on a stock tank is not uncommon.

Of all the new (large) iron coming out in the US the 800GS has the most potential to make me part with a buck. Seems to be hitting my market segment (whatever that is) square on.

Still love the simplicity of the KLR, though.
  17. Desert Dave

Desert Dave Enjoying the moment

Oddometer:
    On the street I agree.

For real adventure duty I had to completely go through my KLRs suspension, new WP shock and go through the forks (emulators, springs) and it was at a level then that worked for me. I know eventually I'll wind up doing the same on the 800 and I'm certain it will cost me a lot more to get it there. My stock 800 suspension can't touch my KLRs upgraded suspension for any kind of rough terrain at all. And actually comparing a stock KLRs to a stock 800s suspension they both limit you at about the same level in the dirt.

So I payed more for the 800 an will spend as much or more in upgrades to get what I had on my KLR.

Not pickin on you Griz :D because you've found what works for you (right on!) , but I've often seen these comparisons between BMWs an any Jap bike and the BMWs always get the comments of it "just seems more refined" and the other is built cheaper in comparison. No doubt a bike like the KLR is BUILT cheaper, but comparing apples to apples like the KLR to an F650 (thumper) I've ridden both an didn't come away feeling the BMW gave me anything better to "step up to". Refined means nothing to me compared to how it does the job that I want it to do, an I guarantee that my 800 won't allow me to have twice the adventure that my KLR did, actually less in terms of off road adventure.

But the overall package works for me, and it's so much more fun on the street (where I spend half my riding hours) that it's worth it. I think one of the big four could have built a bike that would do the same for a lot less money....an be less refined.....and I would be just as happy with it. But they didn't. BMW did and I don't mind coming up with the dough to get one, but I have yet to see anything that stands out above most of the Jap bikes I've owned. I've only owned one other BMW (an airhead RT) which was a fine bike, but again comparing to other bikes of it's time it wasn't anything special other than I just wanted that bike (in fact gave me more headaches than comparable bikes).

So really the function of the 800 gets me excited an I love it. But it to has cheap parts that need to be upgraded and if I own it as long as my KLR the farkle list will be just as high I'm certain.

Oh yeah, I can't do the whole car comparison thing like you guys because I don't know jack about cars :lol3 (sorry just no passion there)
  18. Thumpercrazee

Thumpercrazee Long timer

Oddometer:
    There seems to be an underlying theme of more money equals better quality and performance. There might be a miniscule amount of truth to this in some situations but I really don't agree with this concept in its entirety.
    But, for those who feel they need to always pay more, then do. Just that simple. Personally I have found this belief to be bogus and those who feel this way seem to exhibit an inflated ego. Look around and you will observe that most GS's never see offroad conditions. Especially those conditions which really task its' abilities. There is no question that it can handle a variety of tasks in a competent manner. But to continually insist that it is the best creates an deluded and unrealistic impression. Real world reliability and off road capabilities in conjunction with a stable ride makes any bike a value, no matter what name is on it.

There are many good bikes out there. Buy the one which suits your needs.

TC:D
  19. bxr140

bxr140 Flame Bait

Oddometer:
    I do ~250 miles/week commuting, mostly freeway at 75+, plus lane splitting below about 50 or so.

With my KLR, I could do 250 miles on a tank, but almost always hit reserve before that 250 mark. I think it calculated out to about 48-49mpg.

With my 800GS, I can usually muster 200 miles, but that's pretty deep into the reserve--the computer will typically indicate a range of 10-20 miles at that point. Based on the fuel loaded and the odometer I'm at about 45-46mpg, and the trip computer agrees. FWIW, my instantaneous indicated MPG at 60mpg is ~70mpg.

I've run a number of tanks with 91 and 87 to determine what the best fuel is to use--with the standard mapping, mind you. With 87 octane, it SEEMS to be a point or so *LESS* MPG, and also seems to have a little bit of a flat spot if I whack it on the freeway. I typically use 91 as a result, but I have no problem using 87 if I feel like a cheap bastard that day.
  20. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    I've filled the tank 17 times since I got the bike, always with premium or mid-grade. My average over that time is 50 mpg, and individual tankfuls have varied from 44.864 mpg to 54.817 mpg.

David