...and BAM a guardrail...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Miss Adventure, May 18, 2008.

1. CNCJake

CNCJake SlaX0r

Oddometer:
    Well the good news is, you got your first crash out of the way! Its all smooth sailing from here on out!
  2. MissFenderFine

MissFenderFine Now Offically De-n00bed!

Oddometer:
    Great report, Megster...er, Miss Adventure!:rofl

I don't think that's what your knothead dad meant when he told you to pop a wheelie though!:eek1

MSF:deal
  3. InfoManiac

InfoManiac Always Learning

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you both have a good attitude about the whole thing. :thumb

:lurk
  4. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

They weren't all bad, they would have taken us. I didn't have any kind of cell service and I didn't think any of the people I know would be at camp yet...so we declined a transfer of our persons to camp. I really didn't want to leave all of our gear out in the open like that.

It was one of those deals...we're okay and would have had help for injuries if needed.

Almost every person that came by stopped to do what they could...almost.:scratch
  5. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

Trashed wheel, both forks bent and a cracked engine case...luckily it's just the cover and not the main case.
  6. blackbirdzach

blackbirdzach Daily Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about the crash, glad you're relativley okay. Those guardrails are no joke! I'll tell you from experience! :lol3

[​IMG]
  7. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow that's crazy, the music is a nice touch.

..so what happened, did the rim catch on the seam in the guardrail?
  8. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Wow Miss Adventure!! What a misadventure! Well, at least you learned the first lesson of riding / driving: Avoid target fixation and look where you want to go.. you look at the guardrail... you know the rest... Glad you weren't seriously hurt...

Keep it coming... :lurk
  9. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    Ouch - hope you heal up and keep on scootin. Not much meat in the lower leg to soak up swelling, not good for shins. Ice, Ice, Ice.
    Don't feel badd about dads bike - it'll buff out. Side cars are hard. I jumped out of one as we were running off the road. Oh yea he hit a group of trees. You are also stronger and braver from the experience.

Like the tunes - most the time it fades out?
  10. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the overlap was towards us. I think we would have just scraped a little if the overlap was the other direction. When we hit the edge it peeled the wheel and stopped us quick like.
  11. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

Look what I just found...old Sheetiron picture. We'll be there next year...with the sidecar. :deal

[​IMG]
  12. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    *exactly* what I was going to post.

So I'm posting nothing important instead.
  13. petefromberkeley

petefromberkeley -

Oddometer:
    I usually don't name vehicles, but before I left to ride around the world in 2003, I named my bike "Miss Adventure". She is still my everyday ride.

Bummer about the crash. Glad you are OK
  14. Miss Adventure

Miss Adventure I left my fear behind me

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the support guys. I just got back from the doctor and nothing is broken. He gave me a note not to do P.E. for the rest of the school year!! :clap

Im just going to post a few random pictures I took while waiting and then my dad [larryboy] is going to finish it off with the details.

Here are the pictures I took with my 35mm camera. I am really into photography so I try to practice when I go on these type of trips.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks once again!! I will be here posting for the next trip!!
  15. MissFenderFine

MissFenderFine Now Offically De-n00bed!

Oddometer:

:deal I'll hold him down while you do the job......

Oh and take pics!!!

Great pics btw

:lol3
  16. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

That's funny, Pete!! :thumb

I saw your bike(Miss Adventure) at the Easter sunrise ride up the mountain.
  17. Norhasken

Norhasken Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer:
    At least you didn't prang the side that was carrying the spare gas. Could have :kboom
  18. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    Yeah, a gas splash would have been a mess. We were carrying the gas there until we could get camp set up and then it would go in the trunk for the Sheetiron that never happened.
  19. tony the tiger

tony the tiger Long timer

Oddometer:
    secret owner of a Parmesan cheese factory
    Not all bad then - and no broken leg either, eh! :evil Glad things turned out well for y'all.

Those roads looked to be in pretty good condition - do you think de-celleration had anything to do with heading into the left guard rail? Looked like a bit of a left-hander coming up after the bridge.
  20. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    Okay, I've mostly got videos for you all.

I want to thank the San Francisco Motorcycle Club for all their efforts to help us...they don't really do trailers and did their best to help. Word got back to the city and folks coming up were re-routing up thru Bear Valley to bring us water and whatever support they could offer.

I managed to get the front tire inflated with the tube. A couple of ADV'ers rode with us awhile and offered to come back if we hadn't made camp in a couple hours or so. The wheel was so mangled and the offers of help sounded so promising throughout the day that I didn't try the tube for a few hours. I pretty much had to get us to some shade.

Mootsuno and the other ADV guy stayed with us for awhile, but we were really slow...I could barely steer the thing on level ground. If I got the sidecar lower than the bike I could manage pretty good. A little speed seemed to help...the front blew out at about 25 mph and I barely kept it out of the fence on the left of the road. We were really done for now, but we were in the shade.

I flagged down a pickup...dude manages the Stonyford Ranch and said he'd take care of from then on. He shuffled some guns around the cab to make room for us, opened a locked gate for us to hide the bike and gear...then took us to town. He said it can be tough to get help out there sometimes. He once lost the trans in the truck, had been out working on the ATV all day and didn't have any gas left, a 6 hour horse ride and he made it home.

Got dropped of in Stonyford at the eatery and made some phone calls. Mrs Larryboy hopped in the pickup to come get us, got ahold of Bicycle Phil to come get us when we were done eating so we could get to camp with some of our gear. Got Wheatwhacker on the horn and he agreed to go rescue the sidecar when he got in. Thanks Phil and Martin for the midnight run to get the bike. Whew...starting to look up now.

A video as promised:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8xXse6x2gUw&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8xXse6x2gUw&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>