2009 klx250s?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by DestinationOffroad, Jan 4, 2013.

1. DestinationOffroad

DestinationOffroad Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So someone near me is selling a 2009 KLX with 300 miles on it. He's put cycra handguards, Tag handlebars, bar raisers, new grips and Dunlop MX51 tires. Everything else is stock. there is a "1/4 inch tear" in the seat. He has it up for $3200, i still haven't sold my ninja but i might consider this because it looks like a good deal, but i don't know much about dual sports. Looks very clean in the photos. What do you guys think? Offer i should make? Etc.

Thanks!
  2. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    Its a great dualsport bike for light duty exploring. I have owned one. It's a Billy Goat on the trail....nice slow speed torque, but will also run the slab for hours on end at 70mph. You can leave it pinned wide open, if you don't mind the vibes.

As a starter bike, I would strongly recommend it. The price looks good! Nab it before someone else does. I sold my 2006 in 2012 with thousands of miles, and lots of scars, for $2,500

HF :thumbup
  3. AustinJake

AustinJake DR650 - Versys

Oddometer:
    +1 to Highfive's info, plus the 2009 KLX250 was the first year of the re-design so it really is a good bike to be looking at.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2009/02/18/2009-kawasaki-klx250s-vs-2008-yamaha-wr250r-comparison-test/
  4. marc11

marc11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    KLX250s is a great bike, really good stock suspension and bullet proof motor. Takes to mods easy and easy/cheap to work on. I've own mine since 2006 and don't see myself selling it anytime soon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
  5. Pauls2ndblessing

Pauls2ndblessing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just got a 2009 about a month ago, l've only owned 3 bikes so far, but out of all of them, it's the most fun and my favorite. It's a 250 Dual Sport so don't expect it to be a ninja 250 with dirt tires. If it's still choke collared(stock jetting, exhaust, no air box/filter mods) don't judge it till you take care of those things. I would jet/airbox mod first, then look up the free mods. After a few hours of work and 60-70 bucks, you'll see a big improvement.

check out www.kawasakiforums.com for some really great information, people, and help.

Here's my green mole:
    [​IMG]

**EDIT** as far as pricing goes... with 300 miles on it, its a good deal, 3k would be A GREAT DEAL :)
  6. DestinationOffroad

Oddometer:
    I've sent an email to him telling him i'll give him the full price, he'll just have to wait a week because he is a few hours away. Hopefully he'll hold on to it for me. :-)
  7. Pauls2ndblessing

Oddometer:
    I think as long as you go into it with the right expectations, you'll be really happy with it like most klx owners are !
  8. IDRIDR

IDRIDR Take me to the River

Oddometer:
    Another KLX250s fan here. Picked up my '06 from an 80-yr young gentlemen a couple years ago and have modded the heck out of her. Here it is in the parking lot this summer, KLR next, and a co-worker's 07 KLX250s. The co-worker picked hers up almost immediately after taking mine for a run around the block.

Paul's got the ticket on the kawasakiforum. There's TONS of great stuff over there. But don't forget ADV either: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107591

[​IMG]
  9. DestinationOffroad

Oddometer:
    Oh cool, thanks for the info. Is there a way to get rid of those ugly mirrors?
  10. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had mine a year now, and it has become my favorite bike. It is light, nimble and sips fuel. With my supidily large trunk, I can carry anything, and I gotta lotta crap in there most of the time.
    Enjoy the bike, you'll probably search out some trails and you'll be glad you got it. Good luck.

Mine this summer in UT..

[​IMG]
  11. DestinationOffroad

Oddometer:
    Yeah I definitely plan on hitting some trails.
  12. DestinationOffroad

Oddometer:
    Hey guys- update time. Probably will go up to Orlando this week and he said he could meet me in Orlando to sell me the bike. He seems really nice. Also this thing has EFI?
  13. marc11

marc11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope carby.

Odd grammar, words and spelling brought to you by my iPhone's autocorrect.
  14. DestinationOffroad

Oddometer:
    He says it is fuel injected?

"It's a Fuel Injected Four Stroke 250" -Thats what he says in the ad.
  15. DestinationOffroad

Oddometer:
    Also, i don't see a choke in the pics (Bad pic, but on my ninja the choke is very noticable and you would be able to see it next to the high beams) [​IMG]
  16. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
    The US models are carbureted. The choke knob is on the carb.
  17. marc11

marc11 Long timer

Oddometer:

I own one, trust me, it has a carb. The choke is on the carb body, you reach down to pull/push it.
  18. DestinationOffroad

Oddometer:
    Oh, so hes wrong? Well this is going to be strange trying to tell him about his bike.
  19. Pauls2ndblessing

Oddometer:
    There are efi models of the klx250s, some called d-tracker, I don't think they sell them in the states but there are some around. He most likely is just wrong but if it is the efi version you'd have a rare bike around the USA :)
  20. cjbiker

cjbiker Nobody's Robot

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't be the first time. Make him a bet: if he can prove it has EFI, you'll pay him full price, otherwise he'll sell it to you for $2400. :rofl