ATM's in Baja

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Big Spag, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Big Spag

Big Spag ONESPEED

Oddometer:
    What towns currently have ATM's that work?

Puertecitos?
    Bahia Gonzaga?
    Catavina?
    Bahia LA?
    San Ignacio?
    Guerro Negro?
    Santa Rosalia?
    Mulege?
    El Rosario?
  2. stickman1432

stickman1432 Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So.Cal.& St George UT-Baja-riding anywhere
    Probably none of the above..................I have been going south for over 20+ years and the only large icties that might have them are Ensenada, Loreto, La Paz and Cabo. However, check with the local banks in the smaller cites and you just might get lucky. Remember that when going to an ATM you are going to be charged a fee that might be unknown to you, plus when you get the money your bank is charging you at a current market rate for the peso, but it might not be the day that you bought the cash............It is a crap shoot for the exchange rate.

Try carrying US money and changing it at banks or money exchanges which might be a better place to check about ATMs. I have found that having Pesos is usually better for at least buying gas since each town and gas station even though PEMEX have different exchage rates. Take a calculator with you and always ask what the combia (exchange) rate is for dollars versus pesos. Plus check that the gas station attendant always zeros the pump before putting gas in you vehicle and you see it.

Hope that helps you out and gives you some food for thought.:eek1
  3. chilango13

chilango13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Guerrero Negro, Tijuana, Rosarito, Ensenada, San Quintin, Santa Rosalia, Mulege, Loreto, La Paz, Cabo. You can pay for gas with ATM in El Rosario. I don't know about the other towns...when you get to an ATM withdraw Pesos, not Dollars!. You get the best exchange rate at ATMs, than if you go to an exchange place...
  4. The Walrus

The Walrus Gone and back again.

Oddometer:
    Locals need pesos too....I've never had a problem finding a Bancomer, Banamex or ATM with another bank. I've stayed away from free standing ATM's. The Cambias will exchange money but rates are not as good, sometimes fees are higher at different bancos.

San Felipe, San Igancio, Mulege, Loreto, Walmart in La Paz, Constitucion, even San Juanico if memory serves. Just ask a local for the Banco, they have to get cash for themselves. Just don't count on using a credit card in the small businesses or towns because they can't process them......

Search is your friend: http://math.ucr.edu/ftm/bajaPages/ATMLocations.html
  5. Bgunn

Bgunn Listo

Oddometer:
    The atm's can get hit pretty hard on the weekends too.
  6. azcagiva

azcagiva new orange flavor

Oddometer:
    San Felipe has three banks, get cash there before heading to Gonzaga. I don't remember seeing anything in Bay of LA. Guerra Negro should. I do know that there is a small bank in Mulege.

-John
  7. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anywhere there's much shopping going on there's $$$ to be had in Baja. Make certain to call the place that issues your card to state how long & where you'll be traveling. We even have it down to a certain person @ our credit union & a call to her, specifically!!! from problems of far from home and no cash on past trips abroad.
    Get more $$$ than you'll need for just one day as they do run out(as stated) on weekends & holidays plus there may be a scam going on in the country traveling to & they sometimes block cards to "protect you"-really meaning them , as they have to cover the loss after a certain amt.. Small hotels & food & Pemex will often want cash only. The rate will be the best of your choices. Split money so all is never lost. Break large bills(meaning 200/500 peso notes) @ Pemex stops as its a poor country & local business don't carry much change.
  8. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    Although most (if not all) Pemex stations will accept dollars, you will lose a lot in the exchange rate. Many of the pump attendants make extra money off of the difference between the exchange rate he charges you and what the cashier charges him.
  9. oldxr

oldxr Long timer

Oddometer:
    The atm's located at the major banks will give you pesos and the last time I used 1 I was charged 90 cents -alot cheaper than a money exchange.I will not use those shady free standing atm's-just atm's located at the banks themselves.Best places I know of is San Felipe or the Wall Mart in cabo -all have bank owned atm's attached to real banks.Everybody will take $us but they will aways make the exchange go thier way.I think the mexicans sleep on mattresses full of $ and cash them in when the exchange rate is good.The guys working at pemex stations that are busy always have huge wads of cash.
  10. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huh? I've never bought Pemex with anything except pesos(near Cancun/Cabo touristy spots some take USD but pesos are best) & I pay what shows on the pump then if they are OK I give a small tip to spread my immense wealth across Mexico.:D
  11. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Like 'running out of pesos' hit hard.