Drz400 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Britmick, May 4, 2007.

1. hizzo3

hizzo3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another option is the 700 (I run that up front) and the 244 golden boy.

Sent by my NSA monitored Verizon Galaxy Nexus.
  2. coarsegoldkid

coarsegoldkid Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. 675nyc

675nyc n00b

Oddometer:
    Is this the place? http://www.harrysmoldandmachine.com/index.html

Besides that I couldn't find any using my Google foo. Please point me in the right direction if possible!
  4. XRman

XRman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Moto-oz tractionator desert HD rear tyre .good for 4000 km. Good grip in most conditions.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2
  5. bobfab

bobfab Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    third'd. I really really like the 705 on the road but the front is a bit scary offroad. My next front for the street wheels will be a shinko 244.
  6. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used to run Kenda 270s and I think the Shinko 244 is similar in design and capability.
  7. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the insight. I probably should have done a little more research before I bought that headlight.
    So you might be thinking what does this have to do with a DR350 the guy owns.
    A little background: a did a RM250 fork conversion on my street DR350. Since the uppers are 49mm like the DRZ I use many of the same parts. I wanted to keep things as stock as possible. Bought a set of DRZ headlight hangers, cut the welded the ears from a DR since they are longer. Headlight and shroud mount up pretty good.
    Now I am in the process of converting another DR with the same forks. Looking for something lighter, simplier, and cheaper. The DRZE or what ever headlight I bought looks the same as the DR350 dirt version. It would still looks very stock and save some weight. I thought that I could simply use a HI/low HID to get the hi/low feature as well as a simple way to convert/use the three prong H4 plug. I guess I am going to try to use a hi/low HID and mod it. I don't really need that much light/night riding. Just need something.
  8. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    Shinko 244 is butter smooth... Better on and off road.
  9. hppyfngy

hppyfngy not dead yet

Oddometer:
    1500 miles on my 244's on the KLR and the lugs started cracking from the body of the tire. I know, I know... different scenario, just saying.

I really like a combo like 705 rear and 244 front though. I like the front to bite. (and the rear to be quiet)
  10. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Go Ahead

Oddometer:
    I've been running the Kenda 270's on the DRZ and they are scary squirrelly on pavement.
    Just got a new set of Mefo's, yet to put on, but really like the compound stiffness much better..................
  11. RMOTO

RMOTO Anticipating summer...

Oddometer:
  12. coarsegoldkid

coarsegoldkid Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good mod for the DRZ400 and it doesn't cost anything. I'll have to take a look at that.
  13. MKorn

MKorn 2whl Addict

Oddometer:
    I have over 4,000 miles (back is 50%, front is 80%) on my Kenda K270's and I think they work great in all conditions other than soft sand. And I do a lot of sand riding here in Michigan.
    They work ... But I will be switching to a better sand tire now that the DRz is dirt only/mostly.
  14. DJFireUSA

DJFireUSA 2Fast4U

Oddometer:
    Pic's of Shinko 244 on my DRZ... 17" setup so NO MODS - just mount the rubber.

I have 2 wheel setups, one with the Stone 003's and the other set with the shink's. Dirt to street takes 20 minutes to swap em out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

yeah yeah yeah -- ignore the chicken strips on the 003's - this pic was taken a long time ago when most of my riding was in a 35mph neighborhood zone. They're much thinner now that I have moved to TN !! ha ha h a
  15. bkwags

bkwags Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have heard there is a Yamaha or ?? petcock that will work on the DRZ tank. Anyone have one they would like to sell. Or send me a part number so I can go buy one from ebay or the dealer.

I was kind of a fan of the vacuum actuated Suzuki version (I thought it was kind of trick) till it stopped working!!

Are there any aftermarket carb rebuild kits for the DRZ 400. As long as I am diving into the fuel system I might as well rebuild the carb.

BTW, I have a 2001 with a stock carb

Cheers
    BKWags
  16. rustycager

rustycager Long timer

Oddometer:
    The one the guy had that I got my bike from and the one people use alot is from a raptor. Yamaha 5LP-24500-01 is the one I have. Be aware the reserve tube is shorter so you'll have less reserve. Also in my understanding and someone correct me if I'm wrong. Leaving it switched on would flood the cylinder also. nevermind I think the flooding was from the pulse line not the float valve.Sorry I come from two strokes.
  17. Plane Dr

Plane Dr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that with or without the pipe swap? :D
  18. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    The mullet rocks! (Your front rear setup)

Everyone will have a set of tires that root to quickly... You should be good for a couple of years now ;)
  19. ChromeSux

ChromeSux Un-plated and Unscrewed

Oddometer:
    Raptor petcock, procycle sells them, it is in the body section of this link, you will need to cap off the vacuum port on your carb.
    http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/drz400.html#fuel
  20. bkwags

bkwags Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. Found the petcock and carb kit on ebay. A bit cheaper than ProCycle. Hope the quality is good. Sprung for the one from CA, not ChinA