Spring 2013 - Romney, West Virginia - May 3-5

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by Dirt_Dad, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Dirt_Dad

Dirt_Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Romney Cycles is doing it again. The date has been confirmed and they will be holding the “2nd Annual Camp N Ride” on May 3-5, 2013.

For those who haven't been before, Romney Cycles is one of the largest dealerships in the country. Brands they sell include Suzuki, Yamaha, and Kawasaki. They like to be a leader in the industry and they are very interested in increasing their involvement in the Adventure market. These guys go out of their way to be customer friendly. Back in May they hosted their first Adventure weekend. We had mostly Super Teneres and one Wee Strom from ADV at that event, but there's plenty of room for more. All bikes are welcome, but it is an Adventure bike focused group and the group rides are expected to include off pavement riding. Link to 2012 event . . video

When: May 3-5, 2013
    Where: Romney Cycles in Romney, WV
    What: Camping on the grounds of the dealership, or staying at local lodging. Then riding some fantastic West Virginia roads.

During our inaugural event everyone arrived late on Friday afternoon. We did a group ride on Saturday, and everyone headed their own way on Sunday. The dealership provided the camping area in a nice field next to the dealership, portable toilets, a shower, started a fire each evening, and they fed us on Saturday evening. They also worked out a group rate at one of the local motels. They want to make 2013 bigger and better so if you have any ideas please share them here, they are open to suggestions.

For the non-campers
    2.5 miles Koolwink Motel
    5 miles South Branch Inn
    We had a rider stay at Koolwink last time. He seemed pretty happy with it. I also believe that's the one that will have a group rate.

For 2013 we will have a group ride or two. If we need more than one group ride we'll try to have one more dirt oriented than the other. I'll lead the dirtier one. If you're not interested in a group ride there are endless opportunities for you to explore on your own.

Romney is centrally located to a lot of great riding. If you do want to explore on your own here's a few ideas along with the approximate mileage from Romney.
    65 miles Rt 72 . . video
    83 miles Spruce Knob
    54 miles Dolly Sods
    16 miles Oldtown Low Water Bridge . . video
    57 miles Black Water Falls
    62 miles Seneca Rocks
    52 miles WV/VA Border Crossing near Mathias, WV
    74 miles Harpers Ferry . . video

If you want to bring your significant other, but they don't want to do a day ride with a bunch of sweaty guys, the scenic train is less than a mile from the dealer.
    Scenic Railroad

Romney Cycles will want a ballpark figure on how many to plan for, but obviously it's way too early for anyone to commit this far in the future. When time gets closer I'll try to get a headcount. But until then post up if you think you may attend, have any suggestions or questions.

So mark your calendars and plan to start your early spring season in beautiful West Virginia.

This following is not an obligation, more of a way to see how many and who may be coming. Post to this thread or send me a PM and I'll add/remove you from the list. When we're a few weeks out we'll try to get a more official headcount so Romney can make their plans. This event has been posted on two other related forums, no need to be counted on all of them.

Confirmed planning to come (yellow)
    No confirmation yet (white)

Confirmed - Accomdations (camp/motel/other) - Ride (group twisty/group dirt/non-group)

Dirt_Dad - Camping - group dirt
    tommyhof - - Non-Group Ride
    Roger - - Non-Group Ride

VACommuter - Camping - Group Dirt
    VOLdog
    5punksdad + 1 or 2 - motel - open
    travlin
    smokediver3
    eddie bolted - camping - ride ?
    BEANTOP - camping - ride ?

XDragRacer
    Dual Sport Armory
    1976mike
    backroadbender - - twisty road
    50bluedirt - - non-group ride
    Scott P - camping - dirt/pavement

Additional headcount from other adventure related boards (Super Tenere & Strom boards): 25

In case you're wondering who the hell am I? Nobody, just a customer who bought two Teneres at Romney Cycles. I've been very impressed with all my interactions with the dealership. DCStrom was the primary planner of this event for 2012. But since he's busy riding around the world heading to Thailand, the planning torch somehow passed to me. Romney wanted to keep the event going. The first one was a good event, so I agreed to do what I could to let people know it's on for 2013.
  2. eddie bolted

eddie bolted BOING!!!

Oddometer:
    Gonna try and make this!
  3. tommyhof

tommyhof Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In, made the first (have T-shirt to prove it :D) Great people at the shop, won't miss this.
  4. Dirt_Dad

Dirt_Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Outstanding, glad you're coming back. :clap
  5. VACommuter

VACommuter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Definite possible!

VAC
  6. Dirt_Dad

Dirt_Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had a couple more from the Tenere site sign up today. The event is growing.
  7. VOLdog

VOLdog Motorcycle related jobs ??

Oddometer:
    If i'm still here working
    I'M N
  8. TeneRay

TeneRay Emotional Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have any experience with this dealership? I'm considering trading in the V-Strom for one of their Tenere's.
  9. Wreckchecker

Wreckchecker Ungeneer to broked stuff. Supporter

Oddometer:
    They've been a BIG supporter of the Tenere community and I know at least one owner drove from Ohio for their pricing. They sponsored last years' camp and have a great staff. Dirt Dad, and two more of us had them do the o-ring recall while we waited.

Talk to Larry to buy.
    :clap

Other than that, why "no" no experience at all.

:rofl
  10. Dirt_Dad

Dirt_Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought both my Teneres from them. Considering the experience I've had with them they will always be the first call I make when getting ready to buy any future bike. They do everything possible to be rider friendly.
  11. 5punksdad

5punksdad Tag-Master-Flash

Oddometer:
    sign me up and add one punk on his own ride. most likely in the koolwink
  12. travlin

travlin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds interesting. I may have to put this on the to do list.
  13. smokediver3

smokediver3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Only about a 2hr scoot for me, definitely gonna try to slide over and check it out!
  14. Falconx84

Falconx84 Lurker

Oddometer:
    Doubt I'll be able to make it, but I want the updates just the same.

Romney is close enough for a one day trip, so we'll see
  15. Dirt_Dad

Dirt_Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I added you to the possible headcount. I don't expect to firm up that list until sometime in April.
  16. TeneRay

TeneRay Emotional Supporter

Oddometer:
    Meh, count me in. Hopefully I get to show up on a new Tenere and destroy it soon thereafter :D

Why not post this in the Rallies thread and try to attract a larger crowd?
  17. Dirt_Dad

Dirt_Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    That might have been a good place if I had seen it. I didn't notice it when I was looking to post. I'm pretty sure most forums frown on multiple posts in different locations, so I'll keep that in mind if I'm asked to publicize the 3rd annual event.

So far we're pushing 30 possible between the three forums where this is posted. Obviously not all of those will make it, but I believe we're going to have significant growth from the inaugural event.
  18. eddie bolted

eddie bolted BOING!!!

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure if you posted this in the Annual Rallies forum the MOD'S would move it.
    I'll
    be bringing 1 guy with me(BEANTOP)
  19. Falconx84

Falconx84 Lurker

Oddometer:
    Any word on the dirt portion of the group ride(s)?

I'm not terribly experienced in the dirt other than rough dirt roads. I've also got a buddy that may be interested bit he's also more street oriented - Yamaha FZ6. We're in the same position - we don't shy away from a little dirt as long as it can still be called a "road" we're probably ok.
  20. Dirt_Dad

Dirt_Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    There will be at least two different group rides. One will be primarily pavement, and if there is any dirt at all it will be easy.

I will leading a ride that will include more significant dirt, but it will not be a hardcore dirt ride. There will be big bikes involved and I can't predict the off pavement skills of the group. I anticipate some hunting roads with shallow water crossing, and some relatively easy mud. The two roads in the videos below may or may not be included in my ride.

dirt road 1
    dirt road 2

These are not difficult on an Adventure bike, but might be pretty challenging on a FZ6. May want to pick the pavement ride.