Norra 2013

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Strong Bad, Oct 7, 2012.

1. collie man

collie man mo fire!!

Oddometer:

Im thinking of entering this race also,but dont have a clue which way is up or down at this point. im wondering if you can PM me with details of the race or send me links etc. i have checked out the site but am still in the dark so to speak. is this a team race? solo deal or what? i am also interested in your logistics layout for bikes and people to and from the race,and seeems as if you have done 29 of em already then,YOURE THE MAN hahahah i tried to pm you but it doesnt work for whatever reason,so please clue a brother in please,hope to hear from you soon..where you at in norcal anyway..hope all is well bro....bless:freaky
  2. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Colle rasta..
    it is solo or team race. Entry is close to 1700.00. Good to have some bro's chase you down in a capable preferably 4x4 so you can party before during and after....but if solo then Baja dad program will help especially if you have not raced before as he knows baja and what to expect... You need to read up on rally timekeeping perhaps on http://rallymoto.com/ .. remember you now need a passport to travel into and out of Mexico.
  3. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    and chasers should get an FM3 BEFORE ojos negros, i.e. the border before starting the race....

I hear.
  4. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    NO this is wrong information!

FM-3 is a visa for residing in Mexico for 1 year. A simple Tourist Visa obtained at the border is what you need. Bajabound (a great insurance company to use) explains it all here:

http://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/visa.php

Normally the only place your tourist visa is checked is at the Guerrero Negro checkpoint (southbound only) or at the airport if you fly out.

You will need a passport to get the Tourist Visa, but other than that you don't need one to get into Baja. Although you are supposed to have a passport with you when returning into the USA, I have NEVER herd of anyone not being allowed back in to the states without one. Sure you might have to go to secondary inspection, and you might be delayed a little bit, and you will get a bad attitude from the Border Patrol/Customs guys but fuck those assholes anyway! Jajajajajaja!
  5. beechum1

Oddometer:
    wow, I messed that up all the way. thanks!
  6. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    I've got a bunch of friends with property in San Flippy, some are there full time some only part time, I have heard all of the problems involved with getting a FM-3.

The passport to get back into the USA has been in effect for several years. Multiple times since then I've had guys in the truck with me who "forgot" their passports. They show their drivers license and we are sent on our way without even going to secondary inspection.

I have NEVER been asked for anything but a drivers license when stopped going into Mexico and that is only when stopped to check the vehicle registration papers of the bikes we were bringing down.

I have been busted at Guerrero Negro for not having the Tourist Visa, we gave them stickers and they let me go. If you are really worried about it and don't have one, there is a dirt road east of the highway.......... However, if you got in an crash on the highway and you were drivng, you better have one along with your insurance papers or you will go to jail.

Been doing this since the Baja 1000 was still a NORRA race.
  7. adam81

adam81 n00b

Oddometer:
    A noob here. I plan on running the 2013 event. I live in Savannah, GA. I would love to be a part of a team for a couple reasons. 1. I will need a lot of help..... 2. I don't have a lot of money.... 3. I need help setting up a bike, or rent one.....I don't have one right now.... What does that mean? If you feel the deep desire to be a mentor and can use a capable body for all sorts of random needs and tasks than this could be the start of a beautiful relationship.... Please contact me if you have some room on your team and can babysit me.

Note: I am not completely worthless. Far from it. I just don't have long distance rally/race experience, and no desert experience (racing a motorcycle in the environment). That's where I need some guidance.

I look forward to learning more about these sort of events and being part of this great community. After some of the reading and research I think I should fit in well here!
  8. Gregg Wannabe

Gregg Wannabe Just killing time

Oddometer:
    Very interested in your Stage 1 support during the race but I also need help prepping my bike. Sent you a PM.

Thanks,
  9. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am sure this question has been answered before, but nothing is really comming up in search. I am looking to buy a bike to pit radio and was wondering what is the best and most rugged unit in the market that you desert racers use.

Thanks

Edit: found this after posting the question http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=590143
  10. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:

Doug Mackenzie is located in Upland California (818) 621-6081
    Tell him Mark sent you!!!
  11. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks, I will call him. I am not familiar with that name....what is the company?
  12. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    I stand by what I said in the other thread. Save your money and keep it simple, bike to chase radio is not worth the cost and complexity. Your pits are all done between special stages there is little to be gained by talking to a racer 2 or 3 min before he gets to the pit. Also, you will find radios will add to frustration when they don't work out as expected.
  13. toro618

toro618 Long timer

Oddometer:

I agree that during a race keeping it simple is best....the last think I want is a damn ear piece, which will probably fall off anyway, and a PTT harness swinging between me and the bar. I want to use it in trail riding/training, but wouldn't mind having one in my back pack during a race just in case.
  14. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    I would think a SAT phone would be more useful than a radio.
  15. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    And you would be right!
  16. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    for once:lol3. Is it true that during the Baja1k, you can relay messages from pit to pit?
  17. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    There are ways of relaying messages from pit to pit. If you are racing a cage and using BFG tires and pits, BFG Relay will relay a message for you via radio. Sometimes you can do the same with FAIR pits, however if you aren't using those pits you are SOL. I suppose you could try to use Weatherman on 151.625 but good luck with that cesspool. You may be able to relay messages through the Honda pit system. Messages should be very important, short, and concise otherwise you will be ignored. Cell phone text messages commonly get through when there is spotty to very poor cell service. Oh wait, this is NORRA not SCORE. I know of no way to relay messages from pit to pit in NORRA like those mentioned above in SCORE.
  18. beechum1

Oddometer:
    GSM (telcel) (voice) coverage along the 1 was excellent to good mostly, to a few spots where there was NONE for several miles. Data outside the bigger cities was nil, but the 3g network is growing. La Paz had data, Ensenada of course, Bay of LA and Loreto didn't..... a few other places in between has 1x data.
  19. crankshaft

Oddometer:
    Right, so the radio makes better sense for the B1K but no sense at all for the MX1K. Mike, Jeremy and myself would have been better off if we had SAT phones but only because all the oil drained out of my bike:lol3
  20. beechum1

Oddometer:
    a SPOT with batteries in it could have been useful too.:deal