dualsportmaps.com - Android App

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by craftycoder, May 26, 2011.

1. Guerillah

Guerillah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can anyone recommend an android phone that has a brighter display than the galaxy s3? Even cranked on full brightness its really hard to make out the maps in this Arizona sun. Thanks!
  2. NHBill

NHBill Loosely Wrapped

Oddometer:

:clap:clap:clap
  3. Guerillah

Guerillah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently got a microSD card and now have all data saved to the sd card but for some reason the app is no longer able to load the googlemaps satellite view. All I get is black and white tiles, all of the other base map options work, what gives?
  4. craftycoder

craftycoder Motobrain PDU

Oddometer:
    You need to tell the app where to store tiles in the Settings->General->Storage Directory

I assume that with the addition of the sdcard stuff got messed up.
  5. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    It was just brought to my attention this afternoon that the offline maps repository was empty. I've pushed an "emergency" update with links to the offline maps. These are on my own server so we can feel confident that they will not disappear again. Sorry gang.

I've also heard that Satellite imagery is wonky. I cannot reproduce this is this a general issue or is it just affecting certain users?
  6. GaM

GaM Long timer

Oddometer:

I'm not seeing any problems.
  7. Stangman33

Stangman33 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to check in and say thanks for the great app! I'm just getting rolling with it and so far so good. Seems to work really well.

I spent a few days and just have a quick question. Is there an easy way to push tracks generated from the active log to the website? Right now I have to save the active log to SD card, then dump it to my computer and upload to the site. Is there an easier way to do this that I'm missing?

Thanks again for the great work.
  8. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    That feature has been on my mind a long time. I keep thinking about it, but sort of prefer that you have to be at your computer to do it because you might do some track tidying while you are there. Otherwise, I'd probably just make it a private upload by default but then you likely won't go through the effort of making it public... I try to balance that obvious use case with getting new quality content on the site. Thoughts.

9. Stangman33

Stangman33 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I see your point. You're probably right trying to use this method as a means of encouraging people to clean up their tracks right away. It would definitely eliminate people just dumping all of their dirty files to the site.

So far not a whole lot of tracks in PA. Hoping I can add a few over the next couple of months. Still new to most gps functionality beyond Google Navigation so I've got alot to learn.

You mentioned going through the effort of making it public. Isn't it just clicking a check box? I haven't done any yet, so maybe it's more involved.

I do have some limited machining capabilities along with access to a 3D printer (powder based, not plastic) and am fairly proficient at Solidworks if you need any help with projects in the future.

Thank you again for all the hard work you put into the app!:freaky
  10. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    this last update is the first occasion that dsm would continue to track and background monitor properly. not to mention map redraws are getting snappier each time. good show !

I'm curious what map tile source other folks like to use for both on/off road mapping ? I'm using ms-hybrid so far, pretty good mix of roads and sat view at level 16.

ok, going for a ride. bye !
  11. Stangman33

Stangman33 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just picked up a used Droid X2 to use as a dedicated GPS for the bike and backup phone should my Nexus decide to implode. Going to combine it with the Otterbox Defender case and a Ram finger mount. Anyone have experience with a similar setup?

One more minor issue with the app. I'm having a hard time deleting tracks that I've imported/downloaded to the app. I've gone into my account and deleted all the test tracks I had made up, but now I can't get them to stop showing up on the app. It's not a huge isssue, but it really clutters up the search results which are already hard to deal with because the check boxes don't work quite right. I think the checkbox issue is one you are aware of on devices running 4.1.2, and it sounds like we just have to wait for Google to fix it.
  12. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Once the maps are deleted from the website, you can delete them from the phone and they will never appear again. If you have enough maps to make the page scroll (on the Search page from the main menu), scrolling will make the check boxes synchronize and then you should be able to delete the right maps. Sorry about that lame Google bug. I really expected it to be fixed long ago. :baldy

13. Stangman33

Stangman33 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got the list to scroll and it does seem to correct the check box function. How do you delete tracks from the search menu? Long pressing just brings up a detail view of the different tracks.
  14. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    There is a menu button on the top bar three vertical dots that does a bunch of different things.
  15. Stangman33

Stangman33 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not seeing a menu button within the search menu.

[​IMG]

Here is a shot of the first level when I tap the menu button from the map view

[​IMG]

I'm really sorry if I'm missing something obvious
  16. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    You are not on the Search screen from the Main menu. The main menu is the blue screen with the 4 buttons. From there click Search and you have a menu to work with.
  17. NHBill

NHBill Loosely Wrapped

Oddometer:

Been using a Ram X Mount when the weather is good and a Ram AquaBox when it's not. Both with a Gen 1 Droid. Had great luck. Been offroading and never even had the phone slip in the mount :D . Probably the only downside to the X-mount would be that the phone is not protected from dust. Just upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy Note 2, still fits the X-mount but is just a hair too big for the AuaBox that I have (it gets stuck in there, plus there's not enough room to hook up the power cord :cry ).

Haven't had a chance to really use the App with the latest OS yet though, but I'm hoping to soon.
  18. Stangman33

Stangman33 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you! Sorry to drive you nuts with that. If only you knew how much time I burned up trying to get rid of those!
  19. craftycoder

Oddometer:
    Sorry dude. I write software, not manuals. It's a problem I know, but I've got so many things to do and documentation is something anyone can do. I'd post it up on the website. Hint hint hint.:evil
  20. Stangman33

Stangman33 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No apologies necessary. I may take you up on helping out with a manual once I get a chance to use the app more.