How much to invest for decent suspension?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by alexisan, Jun 29, 2012.

1. alexisan

alexisan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well that's...unbelievable..
  2. HappyHighwayman

HappyHighwayman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    $200 in parts for the springs and guides and $200 in labor.

For that kind of money it's a worthy upgrade, but I can't see it worth spending the money on Ohlins stuff...if that's where you need to go you must really love the F800 because for that kind of cash you could have gotten a better bike.
  3. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    {shrug} maybe your better at riding and adjusting suspension than I am. It was a $2100 bill for me with minimal improvement that I could use. Other people rave about this upgrade.

cost vs benefit

David
  4. HappyHighwayman

Oddometer:
    I'd rather spent that money on other upgrades. I wonder what $2000 of engine work could do? :)-
  5. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    It would buy you a freer flowing air filter, I hear the HP2 filter fits. A header and free flowing exhaust. You will need to augment the fuel ratio and a Power Commander will do that.

If that is a primary concern, you bought the wrong bike. It is designed with a flat power curve at low rpms for a reason. It works better in dirt.

Or maybe wait a year or so and hope the 900 Husky engine is used. It has been bored and stroked, can't beat cubic inches or centimeters. More torque and probably more HP if they spin it fast enough. A cross plane crankshaft at 315/405 degrees. Sound like a Vtwin and will hook up in the loose stuff better.
  6. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah...and no.

I see what you're saying, and I've yet to go trail riding and get "blown off by a stock KTM".

Oh, there's guys out there that could do it easy. Guys in their 20s. But among the average trail riders. No. Most of us have common sense.

Plus, it's not like I'm trying to push race pace. I grew up racing 2-strokes, my race pace is a lot more energetic, but on a 170kg "trail" bike approaching my 50th year I don't even try to delude myself. On trails in a shared area that'd be such a KTM owner thing to do. I see guys up here that try it quite regularly. I've had to call the rescue helicopter a few times.

I want a BMW that will do 2 very different things. I understand that they just don't make them to do either one of those things well. But in trying to get it to do either, I can get it to do both very well if I do it right.

By the time I get the BMW to do what I want solo, it will do what I want for 2-up dirt touring exactly the way I want.

A win/win.

I can see that you don't want that from yours. That's cool. But there's no need to hang shit. Sit back and watch. You may learn something.

For the OP, what I'm saying with the videos etc is simply this, understand very clearly what your abilities are and what sort of riding you want to do before you commit to buying.

If your are a competent trail rider and you want to trail ride a standard BMW you will be disappointed in a lot of ways. If you fall for the advertising hype, buyers remorse will eat at you.

If you are a beginner, and you are learning both riding and dirt riding then the BMW will feel pretty good as is, straight off the showroom floor. You'll likely have years of fun and argue with everyone on ADVrider about the BMWs abilities.

If you know enough about dirt riding to know the BMW isn't a dirt bike, then the regular stiffer springs, change of damping oil will likely suffice. Because common sense prevails.

If you fall outside those rudimentary groups then you'll need to explore more expensive options. I.E, if you want to do "Enduro" type riding or dirt touring 2-up you're going to have to spend big bucks and explore other options. Because they simply don't build the bike to do either of these things.
  7. HappyHighwayman

Oddometer:
    One could do all this but it's really not a sports bike. I had the opportunity to open it up on some clear roads and it's no speed demon but totally fast ENOUGH.

Also I think a power commander might void your warranty so I will wait till mine runs out
  8. Maxacceleration

Maxacceleration Off the grid

Oddometer:
    I like your style Snowy. I love the how great I am stories. :norton
    But the advice is ok.
  9. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now now...it's because when trying to explain things on forums like this, people who've:

a. never done it

b. have no clue

c. don't even own one

d. haven't even seen the item you're arguing about

e. couldn't find their way out of their own bedroom without a flashlight

jump in with expert opinion or criticism. Like parts of other threads when people who can't even fix a simple air leak in a carby want to argue the merits of carby mods they couldn't possibly comprehend, let alone undertake.

Unfortunately, you have to take into account the idiot factor when you try to explain something on here.
  10. alexisan

Oddometer:
    and we are still not further guys. The thread titels "how much for decent suspension.."
  11. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:

You were the one that asked.:D
  12. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:

If and when the Bitubo's die, I am going the DIY route. How much a donor fork costs depends on my Ebay skills. Look in the stickys and you will see how others did it. Gangplank is happy with his at $500.

It will require some set up by some one who does it for a living. The machine work will be farmed out.

I will choose that route because some where in this morass it sounds like the most expensive choice (Ohlins) are not set up for you out of the box.
  13. Maxacceleration

Oddometer:
    :ear There is no one single answer on price. :deal
    Where you buy the parts, prices may vary. Who does the work, prices may vary. And how much you feel you need to do, prices will vary.
    You ask an open ended question.

I'll give my approximate cost total. Under $2000.
    Although this is on my 658, comparisons can be made.
    This included a Hyperpro shock (800 spec, very nice), WITH BLACK SPRING! LOL (No purple spring for me)
    Around $800 for the shock alone.
    Race Tech guts for adjustability, springs, oil and labor from a qualified suspension guy.
    I had extras in my build with longer fork tubes and side & center stand extensions.

When you know what you want to do, and you have the money to do it... You do it. It is going to cost.
    If you don't know what to do... Don't do it.

...RIDE THE BIKE!

Keep studying alexisan, there are more threads than this one on the subject.

[​IMG]

Snowy.... :thumb
  14. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    lol, there isn't a definitive answer. "Decent suspension" is defined by the user. You have a large number of options here that you can use.

David
  15. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

If I was starting again from scratch I wouldn't rule out buying the 658 instead of the 800, as a new bike purchase.

Because in trying to build one for 2-up dirt touring I have had to replace the suspension anyway, and the 658 is a fair bit cheaper than the F800 anyway. It has a better low end and mid range, and is better on fuel.

Basically, the F650GS is cheaper by a margin large enough (well, they are here) to pay for all the suspension upgrades and other mods you want to make. Even factoring in spoked wheels.

For the same money as a F800, you'd have a fully set up 658. Same engine, same frame, same electronics, etc etc. With a spare set of road wheels.

Just a thought.
  16. bxr140

bxr140 Flame Bait

Oddometer:
    About the most you could realistically spend is $4000USD. That includes parts, labor, and initial tuning.

How's that?
  17. Bucko

Bucko In a parallel world

Oddometer:
    I rode my GS8 for three years before making a suspension change. Given that you're piloting 500 pounds of machine over hill and dale, the stock bike works OK. Not great, but good enough to get you where you're going, as long as it's not some cow trail/mud hole/sand pit in the Red Center of Oz. That's it...it does OK. Ride it and see where you think it's weak...not where the ADV regulars do. It's your bike and if you've never ridden something like this in the rough, then climb aboard and your might be surprised.
  18. JGoody

JGoody Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sidebar question -- which bash plate is that?
  19. Maxacceleration

Oddometer:
    SW Motech, although it looks different than the current picture on twisted throttle. 3mm vs a couple of brands who have 4mm aluminum.

Old & new, and the reason my 658 was lifted.

[​IMG]
  20. alexisan

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Sounds very reasonable. So what did you do to your suspension after 3 years?