GPS for Android-based Smartphones

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by GravelRider, Nov 8, 2012.

1. hdxbones

hdxbones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been using Android Navfree for a while now with good results. Map downloads by state, voice turn by turn guidance, dependable routing.
  2. David_in_TX

David_in_TX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OSMand will give me spoken turn by turn directions on my imported GPX tracks.
    I wonder why yours won't do this...

3. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any updates to software recommendations for off-line navigating? I'm about to give up on Windows Phone (I think I am one of about 9 people that actually use it) and jump ship to a Samsung Galaxy 5. Availability of navigation apps is one of my justifications for doing so.
  4. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    Locus Pro, Osmand+

these are more than -just- navigation apps though. a whole lot more.
  5. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am using Locus Pro with OSM maps of Ontario, Canada. I think the app was $8 and the maps were free. I can add on additional provinces and/or states as I need them.
  6. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't figure this part out. Where are you getting the maps, and how are you installing?
  7. ohgood

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used a Garmin compatible map downloaded from one of the OpenStreetMap sites. You could generate one here:

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl

The other site is:

http://download.mapsforge.org

You can download country-by-country, state-by-state or province-by-province there for maps around the world.

and then import that by putting the .map or .img file(s) into the appropriate folder (/Locus/mapsVector). I do not recall how to "initialize" the map to make Locus aware of it, but you may have to install the map somewhere. If you cannot figure it out, I will look into it further.
  9. levain

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Its not that I'm cheap, I just know its doable free, so I'm not ready to give up. Those are 7 locoins. I think 100 Lo coins is like $1.30. That makes that map..., well, so cheap I have no right being cheap. I still wanna try:lol3
  10. ohgood

Oddometer:
    in the screenshots, i'm pushing simple, not selling maps.... i'll leave that to garmin cause they're really good at it:D
  11. levain

Oddometer:
    Yeah. so I just bought the maps, but I have a new issue. You must think I'm pretty thick:lol3
    They worked until I moved them to my SD card because they maxed out my phone. Surprised to see that Germany, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg and England (not UK, just England) were over 5gb! They didn't work on the sd card. After an hr. messing with it, I gave up, which is where I al now. Once I know what I'm doing, this is all going to be so easy. Like OSMand. So easy. And cheap, but I can tell I'll like Locus better so...
  12. ohgood

Oddometer:
    should be able to just add them in settings, but I said that about the osm version too ...
  13. webmonstro

webmonstro A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer:
    how did you move the maps ?? did you just move them manualy ?

you should go to the settings and move the app to SDcard then all the subfolders should get moved to the sd also including the maps
  14. farmerger

farmerger Snowed in Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a Samsung Note 3 and have been able to record tracks very well using Orux. With a little work you can download maps for off-line use. I'm still working on how to protect it while on the bike. The battery on the Note 3 is awesome. Ran the GPS tracking for about 6 hours on Saturday, and battery was still at 83% at the end of it.:clap
  15. ohgood

Oddometer:
    this one is for the note 2, but it has enough room for my galaxy S2 AND a microusb charger
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/18117052617...me=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649
    maybe you can find an even larger case for yours that will allow a similar setup, if you're concerned at all about battery life.

so i drilled the case and glued the charger to it. i have about 400 miles on it now, with no issues. when the screen gets covered in mud/dust, i just hose it off with the camelbak ;-)

since the on/off buttons aren't accessible because of the cases hard sides, i set the screen to wake on plug (charger plug) and downloaded an app called "screen off" or something that turns the display off when i'm away from the bike.

last night i switched locus maps view to 'night blue' while recording the track and it was nice to have the map display right there, with speedometer, but no glare. :D

love this stuff.
  16. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Just picked up my S5 and have DL'd both OSMand and Locus Pro! :clap
  17. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    Albie,

Let us know what you are doing along the way will you? I have an upgrade coming soon and will be getting the S5 active.
  18. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Should have the Ram mount tomorrow so I can take it for a test ride.
  19. BKMLWR

BKMLWR Wondering around...

Oddometer:
    are the mapsforge maps used in Orux routable?
  20. ohgood

Oddometer:
    that's not how it works...
    maps are maps, and routing is handled offline by brouter or online sources like mapquest.