New Michelin Anakee 3 Tires

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by CompAcc, Dec 19, 2012.

1. CompAcc

CompAcc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you guys haven't heard yet, Michelin is updating the Anakee 2 to the Anakee 3 in 2013. The new tread pattern is really different, curious to hear everyone's thoughts. Michelin states that these will be longer lasting, and have 10% more grip off road.

[​IMG]

Obviously these are brand new, we haven't even seen them in person yet - but we plan on putting a set on a bike and flogging them properly to bring you a full report. Happy to undergo this awful job of wearing out tires for the adv community :deal

If you have any questions about these tires we'd be happy to answer them or find out for you!
  2. WoodButcher

WoodButcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    They don't look like they'd be better offroad than the 2's. They do look like they be better on the road and maybe quieter.
  3. Tuff Tunica

Tuff Tunica Moto-Skiveez creator

Oddometer:
    Love the Anakee 2s. Was waiting for the Karoo 3s to hit next spring as well. We'll have to see which one is more to my riding style. If this is more off road worthy it may be a contender.
  4. CompAcc

CompAcc Adventurer

Oddometer:
  5. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    Michelin is doing away with the Anakee 2? If so, they have lost a customer. I don’t believe the 3’s will have better grip on the rough, dirty paved roads I like to ride:deal<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  6. bete

bete misguided adventurer

Oddometer:
    Read your blog, hope they are right on more off road grip although they don't look like they would be. bete.
  7. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    Agreed -- will be very interesting to see how off-road grip works out compared to the "standard" tires.

My bet is that Michelin knows exactly what they're doing, and the crusty demons of dirt are just going to have to get used to a different look.
  8. WindSailor

WindSailor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wrote Michelin awhile back and got this...

My GSA is mostly my touring machine (probably 80-20); looking forward to these.
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    :eek1

Now that is not most of us were expecting in the evolution of the Anakee.
    Now how can that grip as good as the 2, especially when cornering on that front tire? I don't see much in the way of bitting edges when leaned over.

Be interesting to hear the test results. I'm wondering if Michelin is just adjusting this tires to focus more on the majority of riders who actually don't go off road and if they do it's easy & packed dirt. Most any tire grips on packed dirt & i'm thinking the even higher silica content will be like sand paper on packed dirt.

Are they really just selling a street tire here and competing with tires like the Dunlop TR91, Pirelli Scorpion Trail, Conti Trail Attack or Road Attack for the guy who has a 19" front wheel but really just rides on the street? My guess is they will corner incredible on the street.

That is cool if they then release another new tire that is more aggressive along the lines of the Shinko 705 or even Hiedenau K60 territory.
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    they are seen on the new GS.

when your leaned over in a corner in the dirt, what is there to bite into the dirt?
    it looks like most all smooth rubber to me???

i only see biting edges going across the tire for starting and stopping grip.
    where are the biting edges 90 degrees to those to keep the tire from slipping sideways?

i'm calling these 95/5 tires not 80/20 like they used to be, but we'll see. :ear

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    there ya go...and i doubt it.
    looks like Metzler is going after Heidenau.

CompAcc, got any info on this tire yet?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20259622

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  12. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Anakee 3 look like the perfect tire for the Tiger 1050. Now, if Michelin would offer them in a 120/180 combo.
  13. X1Glider

X1Glider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree with you guys on the lack of biting edges. I don't understand this tread design at all. On a dirt bike, once the knobs have rounded, you've lost your ability to dig in or bite the terrain for the best traction. These treads look like ramps that help expel water on the road. Definitely pure road oriented, IMO.
  14. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Call me weird, but that looks a bit like Metzeler's old Z4 street tyre (only with some horrible manufacturing defects on the tread pattern) :lol3

Michelin already makes Pilot Road 3 sizes to fit the big trailie bikes... kinda hard to follow their thinking here.
  15. switchback

switchback Eatin' Dirt Since 1982

Oddometer:
    Awesome, the Metzler Karoo III's have a mud & snow rating!
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I'd say Michelin is going after the larger segment of mostly street riding ADV bikers and offering 5% dirt for those who venture down that dirt county road.

Makes sense as long as they have something else coming in on the more aggressive end to take up the slack.
  17. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    I sent them a message that they should expand the offerings to include sizes for the Multistrada/Tiger 1050/Versys/SV crowd.
  18. Two Brothers

Two Brothers Tire Guru

Oddometer:
    Michelin is famous for letting a tire hang around. PR2, PR3, Pilot Power, Pilot Power 2CT. They may let the Ana 2 hang around before getting rid of it. They do this to cover all the markets. The price on the Ana 2 may drop and become a budget version for the ADV crowd.

I have learned this over time with them. We have not got much info on these yet just the pictures and sizes they are showing. They have put out some new things this year for sure.
  19. CompAcc

CompAcc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Two Brothers is right, Michelin doesn't always do away with prior models - hopefully they'll leave both in their lineup for a while.

Anyway - look what showed up today:

[​IMG]

They definitely have a very interesting design. The beveled edges are at varying angles and come in from both sides. There are also little "serrations" within the grooves... very interesting.

[​IMG]

As promised, we will be putting these on a bike and testing them out properly, so stay tuned. :D
  20. 42 JAY

42 JAY Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I want the Karoo 3's for my 2011 Vstrom 650!