Installing an Acewell speedo/computer on an airhead --

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by bpeckm, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Boxer Metal

Boxer Metal Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    I made this to plug the ignition switch hole in the side of the headlight bucket for the Acewell mount I made. Works perfect for aftermarket headlight mounts.

[​IMG]
  2. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    These are my modifications to bpeckm's wiring instructions:
    [​IMG]

This is the diagram for a model 4454:
    [​IMG]

I question how the Acewell speed sensor white wire will connect to the speedo. Connect white-to-black, or white-to-purple? A simple test connection should tell.
    Also, I will connect the BMW blue (generator) wire directly to the Acewell unit, as Chris has suggested.
    Aheissen likes this.
  3. Boxer Metal

Oddometer:
    I'm going to wire the one up on my R90/6 this weekend. I'll post my results.
  4. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    COOL! I'll get started, too, and try to make some really bad photos.
  5. tete

tete clown shoes

Oddometer:
    If you don't mind posting ur wiring diagram. I have a 90/6 and mine should be here weds. I order the 2853 with the tach cable.

Thanks
  6. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    tete, what year is your bike? I know there is a wiring difference in same year models (R90S vs, R90/6). I have both bikes and both schematics. I am getting mine connected and will post photos soon.
  7. tete

tete clown shoes

Oddometer:
    Mine is a 1975 /6

Thanks
  8. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    My bike is a '75 R90S so the wiring may be the same as your R90/6. But I am installing an model 4454. I have some photos, will post soon.
  9. Boxer Metal

Oddometer:
    The first Acewell I installed had a black/white wire that was a switched hot wire. That in conjunction with the blue charge light wire everything worked fine.

On the 75 /6 I used the diagram someone here shared. On this model t does not have the black/white wire and it has a single black wire that goes into the headlight bucket and it not used.

Now I see why folks were having a hard time with the charge light.

Back to the drawing board.
  10. Player B

Player B Adventurer

Oddometer:
    quick note on how I handled the charging light on my 1983 R80RT

After the board delaminated in my speedo I decided to replace it with an acewell 4553 for two main reasons
    1. It has an actual needle for the tachometer, which I think looks badass
    2. It also has a built in voltmeter function.

Instead of trying to wire up the hazard light on the acewell to act as the charging light, I just rely on the voltmeter readout.

But I still needed to connect the circuit. Some other ADVers have wired in a separate light and put it up near the speedo, In my case, I put in a small resistor that I purchased for a couple of bucks. I cut back the two wires that lead to the charging light and put the resistor where it is hidden underneath the tank. Been working great for a couple of months now.

I guess you could also do this with the 28XX series, but you run the risk of never know if anything ends up going wrong with it.

I'm out of town for work this week, but if anybody needs more explanation, I can find my modified Acewell wiring diagram when I get back and post a picture of it.
  11. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a separarte "idiot" light I might wire up, but your solution is simple and would work well for me since I have the stock BMW voltmeter to monitor charge. Motorrard Electric used to sell a resistor to wire into place, http://www.motoelekt.com/charging.htm , it would to easy to do. I could draw a crude wiring diagram on my Big Chief for anyone who needs to see how to make the connections.
  12. Boxer Metal

Oddometer:
    I would love to see a diagram.
  13. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got my crayons out, drawing up a diagram now. Will scan and post this evening (didn't bring scanner with me). Electronics technicians (electrical engineers, etc.) are banned from viewing any of my "diagrams".
  14. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    adding an "idiot light" or resistor:
    [​IMG]
    tried to draw a wiring diagram. can't scan the entire drawing as a photo. must be the scanner. no way it is the operator's fault. I scanned the drawing as a document, which worked well. I can email the document, but don't know how to post a document here.
  15. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    BMW wiring notes:
    [​IMG]
  16. tete

tete clown shoes

Oddometer:
    Yes!
  17. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    pictures of installation in no particular order.

out with the ol' speedo cable:
    [​IMG]

in with the Acewell S11 speed sensor:
    [​IMG]

speed sensor plug "C" (acewell schematic). red an white wires from the sensor connect into acewell harness green and black. red-to-green. black goes to ground (-), but the purple shown on the acewell schematic is also negative. so, white-to-black, or white-to-purple? a simple test of the connections should show if the speedo functions. has anyone done this connection?
    [​IMG]
    Aheissen likes this.
  18. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    yellow tach wire to coil:
    [​IMG]

there is an temp sensor. guess I'll use it for oil temp. will drill and tap into oil pan:
    [​IMG]

there is a mode selection / lap timer switch. plugs into acewell harness. I'll try it. If I don't like it or don't need it, it can be removed:
    [​IMG]
  19. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think bpeckm cut off the plug-ins and wired directly. I used the plug-ins, labeled them and all wires according to the Acewell schematic.

plug "B", wire colors are the same on both sides:
    [​IMG]

plug "A", wire colors are differnet on each side. STUDY your wiring diagram.
    [​IMG]

give all connections a little dab:
    [​IMG]
  20. craydds

craydds Long timer

Oddometer:
    the Acewell harness wired directly to the turn signals:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

done. wire from Acewell harness goes directly to turn signal:
    [​IMG]