Overpants Recommendation

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by scooterintexas, Feb 1, 2013.

1. scooterintexas

scooterintexas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My requirements:

1. Waterproof or very water resistant
    2. Windproof
    3. Wear over jeans/dockers
    4. Possible to wear alone or over thermal underwear
    5. Not sure about armor, but if it is included, it has to be adjustable and removeable

I ride a cruiser and live in Dallas, so it doesn't get very cold here, but it isn't unusual for winter temperatures to hover in the 30-40 range.

Yesterday, I tried on Olympia AirGlide 3 pants. They aren't for me. First, even with the liner removed, they seemed awfully heavy. Secondly, and more importantly, to work as an overpant you have to remove the liner, and without the liner they aren't waterproof or windproof. I looked at the Olympia Ranger too. Again, they seemed awfully heavy and as the sales clerk said, "You'll roast in those things around here."

I'd be content with an overpant that doesn't have a thermal liner, but is wind and water resistant, provides abrasion protection, and perhaps has armor. Suggestions? One more thought - what about kevlar jeans with a gore-tex rain paint (something like Frogg Toggs), and just forget the armor?
  2. cliffy109

cliffy109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aerostich Dariens or AD1. They are unlined and water/windproof. They also have a full length zipper meaning you can take them on and off very quickly and stow them.
  3. bkwags

bkwags Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    Klim Traverse pants work for me.

Waterproof - check.

Windproof - check.

I wear mine over khakis every day riding to work.

The interior is easily soft enough to wear directly over thermals. I could probably wear mine directly over shorts and not feel uncomfortable.

They don't come with armor, but there are knee pockets for armor if you want to add them, and it seems fairly adjuster.

I do not think there are hip pockets for armor, however. If there are, I certainly can't find them.
  5. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    FirstGear HT2 overpants.
    I've had mine for years now and they never leak. I've not worn them without pants but I'm sure I could.

Water/windproof without the liner - i can wear from over 100* to below 40* although when it hits 30* I wish i would have remembered the liner.

The fit right on a cruiser and on my GSA.

Oh and they aren't expensive.
  6. Hucker

Hucker Lost

Oddometer:
    So with your AD1s, did you order up one size (I.e. if size 36, order 38s)? Or are they designed oversized? Thanks.
  7. cliffy109

cliffy109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wear a size 36 pant normally and have the size 38 in the Dariens. I do have the optional (and bulky) hip armor. I originally purchased a size 36 and with the armor, it was just too tight. My Dariens go over dress slacks and a belt for my regular commute.

I know it is a pain to send things like this back, but if you have to, don't stress it. Stich is good about making sure you get what you need. If you're not going to use the hip armor, try the 36 and return it if needed.
  8. scooterintexas

Oddometer:
    Do you always wear them as an overpant, or do you ever wear them over shorts or your underwear?
  9. scooterintexas

Oddometer:
    I tried them on yesterday, but they apparently didn't have my size. They felt snug when I had my jeans on and the liner out, better when I just wore the outerpant and my boxers, but there was no way I could have put them over my jeans with the liner in. Do you ever wear them like that?
  10. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    And do you break left or right? :rofl
  11. InDenial

InDenial Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the Aerostitch Dairen Lights. More confortable than the Dariens. Wear them over jeans in MN down to 20 degrees. Waterproof, windproof and they will customized them for you. We had to lengthen the legs about 2". Call them and they will help size you. They are very customer friendly.
  12. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    They do have hip armor pockets and they're quite visible. Maybe you have an older model?
  13. BELSTAFF

BELSTAFF ADV NOMAD

Oddometer:
    I have a set of H 2 Firstgear over pants size 36-40 w X 30 inseam with soft hip & knee armor & removable thermal liner also have
    full leg zippers for easy on & off

they are h20 & wind proof & with the liner out they are good to about 85 to 90* F here in AZ also include a set of Duluth suspender if needed

no rips or tears worn 3 times, in perfect condition yours for $100.00 Plus shipping
  14. redwing51

redwing51 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

I agree that the AD1 pants are everything you need. I wear them as overpants, but usually just with long or regular underwear. Never got wet in them. I bought the optional hip pads as well. They work for me.
  15. Noth

Noth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am working right now with Aerostich on a roadcrafter suit..Gawd I hated to spend the money, but like the OP..nothing else seemed to fit and they do a custom job... The last revision went out to me today.. I amsure that I will have to have the pants shortened however.. and a smidge opened up in the chest areea.. Aerostich is not like any other Mfg. I have worked with.,,they just keep making adjustments for me until it's right.. They are paid for now.. so I can lose the guilts.:deal
  16. scooterintexas

Oddometer:
    Some good suggestions. I'm going to take a look at the Darien Light and First Gear HT. The regular Darien and Klim Traverse are probably a little too heavy/warm for my needs now. I like the idea of the Aerostich products because I'll probably get one of their jackets when mine wears out.
  17. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Never have worn without pants and I bought the size for the pants I wear.
    I wear them over jeans, khakis and sometimes suit pants.
  18. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wear Darien pants on the bike. I used to wear First Gear HT2 pants.

They both have full-length side zippers, but the HT2 have full-length velcro that makes the zipper a royal pain to use. They are simply more time-consuming to get on and off which is fine once in a while, but gets old fast, especially on those days when riding is comfortable but you want to shed a layer fast in a hot parking lot. The HT2 are not available with long inseam for waists under 34". These have multiple layers of lighter fabric which flap a lot in the wind.

The Darien zippers have inside and outside flaps, but less than a foot of velcro at the hip so they go on and off easier. The flaps don't LOOK weather-secure, but they work perfectly. The Dariens are available in many sizes and can be modified right there in Duluth. The regular Dariens have a single laminated layer which doesn't flap so much in the wind. The armor in the Dariens is far better than the foam padding in the HT2s.

Both pants keep the water out and keep some warmth in.

For me, the shape of the Darien waist fits far better -- the pants just stay there. I was always pulling up the HT2. Mine are both 32" waist.
  19. scooterintexas

Oddometer:
    Funny that you mention that, even walking around the store I had to keep pulling up the HT2. They always felt like they were falling down. Guess I need bigger hips!
  20. rockydog

rockydog just a guy

Oddometer:
    I've got both the Dariens and the BMW Cover pants. Bmws are heavier, but both work good.
    btw, am selling both pants, 30 waist, cause I'm with the Rukka crowd now