The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Tonopah

Tonopah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Re Optimate, Battery Tender, Gerbings, etc: I have always asked the dealership to cap off the power to the factory power plug and then run it directly to the battery. This eliminates the canbus issue and allows use of all accessories just fine. A fuse block would be nice but takes up room and I've just never had a need for one.
  2. paulW

paulW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nothing happens. I have done this myself to install a power outlet.
  3. twistedthrottle

twistedthrottle Long timer

Oddometer:

The crash bars will be available for sale in about 4-5 weeks (roughly around the third week of May). The part numbers are going to be:
    • Upper Crashbar - SBL.07.788.10000 retail $249.99
    • Lower Crashbar - SBL.07.783.10000 retail $277.50

I didn't do the installations. Our Service Manager and one of the prototyping guys did that. I think they were running a Power Hub to the rear underseat area for the Denali DX LED lights and a Stebel Nautalis Air Horn.

Kevin
  4. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
  5. NLS

NLS My bike needs washing...

Oddometer:
    A laptop on a hard case right over the suspension, is invitation to trouble.
    Laptops should go in backpack so that the additional "natural suspension" of the body absorbs much more.
  6. Bazgab

Bazgab Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree. I especially like the upper fairing guards compared to the Touratech ones, which look kind of goofy IMO. Not sure if I like the Touratech engine guard or this engine guard better. Looks like the mounting point for the upper guards is not a shared point with either the TT or SW-Motech engine guards, I could be mistaken though. Maybe it can be installed with either set?
  7. twistedthrottle

Oddometer:
    One thing I forgot to point out was that the upper crashbar has a light mount incorporated into the design.

Kevin
  8. Bazgab

Bazgab Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh, that is a very nice feature, thanks for sharing!
  9. kindofblue

kindofblue Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer:
    Thanks Kevin, I just called and ordered a set of silver lower crash bars. They're not yet on your web site.
  10. twistedthrottle

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the order Doc! You may have just ordered the first set of SW-MOTECH crashbars for a water cooled GS in all of North America! I hope you will post pictures and impressions once you get them.

Kev
  11. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    I like those LED's. What model is that? Flood, Spot, Fog, beam cut-off for on-road use?

Maybe better to add more firepower though.

[​IMG]
  12. NLS

NLS My bike needs washing...

Oddometer:
    Which won't look very nice if you don't plan to add them...
  13. wildy

wildy The Highwayman

Oddometer:
    Fitted the small gs tank bag today. Great quality and dare I say it good value.
  14. Oldpeg

Oldpeg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What do you mean by «keyless charging»? The Canbus mode via the bike's socket?

- Do you actually have the Canbus «Dual» Optimate 4?
    - Did you put it in Canbus mode (see manual)?

That being said, charging via Canbus does not work well at all with Canbus, even with BMW's own tender. My dealer even advised me against charging through Canbus. So, I use the Optimate 4 directly plugged to the battery terminals, in standard mode, via a permanent extension with as SAE Din Optimate outlet (I use it also for my heated liner), and it works very well.
  15. Oldpeg

Oldpeg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Probably, since the topcase itself is different (bigger.)
  16. twistedthrottle

Oddometer:
    The lights on our water cooled R1200GS are Denali DX (Xtreme Distance) and they are a spot beam. They push out to 695 feet as opposed to our 2009 R1200 that with the stock highbeam pushes to 153 feet. What is nice about these is that the focused beam does not travel into oncoming traffic too severely. Just enough to alert them to your presence. We have other LEDs that do an excellet job of filling the road directly in front of you. Most notably the Denali DM1 "Micros".

Kev
  17. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    Thank you, good information.
  18. doggrell3000

doggrell3000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    dear forum

i just dropped by my bmw dealer yesterday to check out a new r1200gs wc . there was a new loaded black gs on the floor . i mounted the bike for a simple sit down . the seats are very comfortable . the ergonomics are perfect . i can flat foot while sitting on the gs wc . this bike had all the extras . i am overwhelmed . i will be going back soon for a demo ride using their demo gs wc . the sales guy said i could take it out the door for 20 grand even including taxes prep and everything . i will come back with $18,000 in cash . maybe they will take it . this dealership sells bmw yamaha suzuki ktm and arctic cat . there is a sweet little yamaha 250 with spoke wheels that my daughter liked . it was real low priced . the new black 2013 r1200gs wc is the coolest looking bike ever created in the hundred and twenty year history of motorcycles . just sayin' .

doggrell3000
    new york ny
  19. Cycling101

Cycling101 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Technically it must be the Thunder Gray. Black is not an option on the new WC.
  20. nwpa

nwpa Generally amused

Oddometer:
    mmmmm, maybe not. But let us know how it goes!