DR750 & DR800 owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by MCmad, Jul 14, 2008.

1. MCmad

MCmad Banned

Oddometer:
    Ray hope you taught that ninga a lesson to:cry
  2. MCmad

MCmad Banned

Oddometer:
    These ones go on front page, Im sure if you get time off from modelling you could make money as a photographer, ( how:huh can I ace those ??? )
  3. DrBigEd

DrBigEd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah, he's a local here in SA. Same province as me, just 600km east. AND he speaks with the same funny accent :D Spoke to him on the phone...:wink:

Oh, 800, before I forget - you can chalk a 750 next to both our names.
  4. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    just got email from Stefan Hessler - they got my WP Extreme forks delivered and started making bits for it ( I asked for fork travel limitation), but will be a bit of delay finishing work on them. You know why? Because Hessler Rallye Team will be riding Rally Dalmatia till May 10!:clap
    How I feel about it? You think I am worried? No. I feel totally priviledged! I totally going to watch whatever I can watch about rally and will hold my fingers crossed for Stefan!
    Way to go!:clap
  5. DrBigEd

DrBigEd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nave, have you no fear of heights????:huh
  6. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fear of height...I certainly have it unless I am skiing...but my wife...

It is Prekestolen, Norway, rock that has about 600 meters to fjord surface. This crack in rock goes all way down. And this crazy girl is my wife....last summer. Nearly gave heart attack to me :eek1 and whole lot of tourists :eek1

Attached Files:

7. DrBigEd

DrBigEd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's just plain nuts :eek1 :huh
  8. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    See - this is what I told her! And she (cheeky!) made that "oh, I am slipping down!" move to finish me off...
    I can't bear it :eek1 that's mother of 3 ! :lol3

Well, positive is that she is actually sleeping on bike as passenger without loosing her grip and she it really lightweight :lol3 great passenger :lol3
  9. Letsgo21

Letsgo21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man, yre wife really is a thrillseeker:eek1 i'm not afraid of heights, but thats something you'll never see me doing ever...:eek1

Oh btw, mine slept over 200k of french motorway back in the days i had my kawa ZX6R, she really sleeps everywhere :-)
  10. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    Actually, that's why it's easier for girls. We call that strange feeling you get way down deep in your gut when you're way up high "sillyballs".

It happens to all the new firemen when on our aerial ladder for the first time, particularly if it's windy.

BALANCER CHAIN CHANGES:
    Well, I put oil in the DR and started it up after adjusting the balancer chain and the sound of the engine is very different. There is much less clicking, clacking "loose" sounding noise from the engine.

What there is now is a soft "whine". I'm assuming this is from the newly tensioned chain. It's not loud, it just wasn't present before. It's mixed with the other engine sounds. Do you guys hear that same thing?

Also vibes seem to be damped down just a bit....nice.

ANOTHER VERY STRANGE PROBLEM:
    OK....With all the others here having problems starting their bike. Mine has decided to be different.

I CAN'T STOP IT !:huh

Oh, the brakes work fine, I'm talking about the engine.

I shut the engine off with the decompressor (manual on my 750) as recommended. Well today I forgot and turned the ignition key off (like my other bikes) instead.......NOTHING HAPPENED....well, the tach and lights went off but the engine kept running. I quickly turned the key back on since I didn't want to overload an electrical circuit, and tried it again....still no engine stop.

The emergency (kill) switch works and will stop the engine but not the ignition switch.

Any ideas?

I guess I'll have to take the ignition switch apart to see what's not happening inside like it's supposed to.

So, it's electrical problem solving this afternoon, and then the forks.
  11. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I did get soft "whine" sound right after adjusted balancer chain, but it went away soon...I guess it is guides...

As for no stop. Well - better than no start :rofl

Welcome to wonderful world of Suzuki ignition locks of 90s. They plain suck. Just bad quality, nothing else. Take it apart, clean, adjust, put back and you will be OK.
    Mine decided that out of 3 attempts only 1 resulting in key "accepted" by the lock so that I can turn it on or off.
    Since I never painted plastics on my DR and it deliberatly made to be a "sleeper" (I hope nobody will wipe piece of frame to see nice shiny paint) I almost decided to change lock for some hidden switch...but then I put lot of silicone oil in it and it worked again...for a while. :lol3
  12. DrBigEd

DrBigEd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine does the same. I thought because the previous owner messed with the loom, he screwed up something. Well now...
  13. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    hey, hey, I can not guarantee previous owner did NOT screwed up something :lol3 but my bike electrics are bone stock except few connectors replaced and loom re-taped and mine have problems with ignition key. For example parking light do not work no matter what. I never got to taking lock apart...but it is second lock! Previous owner had problems, replaced it - now I have 2 different keys, one for ignition one for seat.
  14. MCmad

MCmad Banned

Oddometer:
    I would never ever let my wife do that, if she fell who would do the cooking and the ironing , :D

Lucky this is the internet and I can say things without fear of retrobution:evil
    But just in case, Im out of here real fast before those woman rally
    [​IMG]
  15. MCmad

MCmad Banned

Oddometer:
    Sorted, nice that youve got a little buddy now, 600 kms at 16km per day it will only take you 37 days to reach him, but if the roads are good 1 day trip for a BIG:wink:
  16. bigS

bigS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you Blueman, I will check my preload ASAP.
  17. Ladder106

Ladder106 It's a short cut, really

Oddometer:
    I love that photo of the right hand corner with the bike crossed up "just right" for the exit.....nice.

Well, another afternoon of spinning spanners. Forks are off, disassembled and draining after flushing.

Front beak is removed and handlebars will be removed tomorrow to service steering head bearings.

Fixed the "bike won't shut off" problem

First remove clocks to get some slack in the wires, then pull ign. switch up out of the clock bracket.

I then looked at the bottom of the switch and found one wire (black with white stripe) had broken off the soldered connection at the bottom of the switch.

A quick clean, strip of a bit of insulation and resolder and the bike will now shut down with the key again. Seems strange to have to connect a wire to have the bike turn OFF....but, there you have it.

Drilling out damper rods and putting in the cartridge emulator tomorrow.
  18. nave

nave Nave

Oddometer:
    I was once a fotografher assistant for one day of shooting...(a very beautiful German girl:wink: )
    That was as close as I got to that world... although I wouldn't mind doing that insted of some of the jobs I had:cry :cry (I'm an Architect but that's only because I'm too short:lol3 )
    photograph is a hobby that's goes together perfect with the motorcycle. I'm riding with a small Minolta hanging on so that I can pull it on fast enough to catch picture like this one:
    [​IMG]

DRbigED- I do fear of heights, that's why I send ather guys to the age of the cliff and I take there picture:lol3 :lol3 :lol3
    [​IMG]

And Bluesman- you'r wife is definitely CRAZY, thats part of why we love our wifes :clap :clap :clap
    I had a picture all ready here but she gave my a veto...:lol3
  19. DrBigEd

DrBigEd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very clever chap! :D

OK, out with it...now you made me curious... :deal

I'm off to go wring some necks - I have not heard anything on my tanks yet and I wanted to fix them on the bike today - looks like I might have to hand out a few slaps...
  20. MCmad

MCmad Banned

Oddometer:
    Heres another one for you( in case you havnt seen it before) the grunt of the DR really helps here together with its stability, just go a bit wide then turn in and gas it, Bam and hold the slide on the throttle, The Dominater tends to wag its tall by comparison ( sorry if Im boring you mechanics out there )

Nave, stop it will you, give us a fighting chance ( na just kidding, love ever pic keep it up )

[​IMG]