Yooperbikemike's 2013 MotoGP Thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by yooperbikemike, Nov 11, 2012.

1. wiseblood

wiseblood This checks out Supporter

Oddometer:

Well, at least Schwantz isn't. :deal (Or, thinks he isn't. :evil)

Try "weighing the outside peg" when exiting a turn. Now, try to do that without exerting a few extra fractions of a pound of force on the outside bar (or pulling on the inside bar).

The question is, how does Dani stand the bike up to quickly. One proposal is "I don't know." Another is "counter-steering." :freaky
  2. Lurky-Loo

Lurky-Loo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's classic.
  3. Pantah

Pantah Jiggy Dog Fan Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think counter steering is very deliberate in all forms of high performance riding and on all surfaces. Physical even. If you enter a turn too hot, there is only one thing to do if you don't want to run off, and that is push harder on that inside bar. Most of the time you make it with ease. Sometimes you don't. Even setting up for a turn can be quite forceful since most are going point to point rather than sweeping all over the width of the course.
  4. wiseblood

Oddometer:

I agree. I'm a fan of Lee Parks' suggestion to "pre-load" the opposite bars while setting up for a turn. In that case, turn is initiated by relaxing rather than by exerting force.

I was going to try and find a video to explain what I'm talking about, but I got stuck when I found this instead:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lSz2edKnu78?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I find this video to be highly instructional, even with the audio turned off. :augie
  5. mdubya

mdubya Right Brigade

Oddometer:
  6. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ridden a bunch of Kawasakis , first time I've ever wanted to be a Kawasaki.
  7. jm-2008

jm-2008 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    <IFRAME height=360 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lSz2edKnu78?rel=0" frameBorder=0 width=640 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Now theres a unique way to get the students undivided attention :rofl
  8. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

I'm no alien, but if I'm steering with the bars mid-corner at the track, I'm changing my line to set up a pass, or something went pear shaped.

Seriously, you counter steer...hard... to get the bike down for the corner, I guess you could call it setting the arc, once the bike is turning all adjustments are made with the throttle and foot pegs. In most corners you really shouldn't need your left hand unless you have an up shift.
  9. mdubya

mdubya Right Brigade

Oddometer:
    BS. Any attempt to put weight on a peg results in input into the bars.

At one of the Ducati events, a punter asked Troy Bayliss does he weight the inside peg or the outside peg in a corner. Bayliss scoffed and said he didn't think about any of that non-sense. If you are concentrating on your foot pegs in a corner you are doing it wrong. You need to be concentrating about 1/8 mile, or further, up the track.

You do what you need to do to get your body in the best position to steer with the bars, whether you know it or not.

Ever ridden on the track with someone missing a leg, or paralyzed from the waist down? Some of those guys hustle around the track pretty fast with nothing to steer with but the handle bars.

:1drink
  10. mdubya

mdubya Right Brigade

Oddometer:
    These guys are busy getting on with it.

11. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Who said anything about concentrating on it?

My point was that once you are past tip in you aren't really steering anymore, shifting weight around does more then trying to manhandle the bars. If I need a little more lean I usually do it by pushing on the outside foot, if I need less, more throttle. I try to only prop on the inside during set up.

Just how I learned it.

There may be some bar activity going on, but its certainly unconscious unless I'm trying to change my line or its a multi-radius corner.
  12. bingbong

bingbong Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought Dovi was riding for Ducati this year? Why he no there? Probably the Valencia test told him everything he needed to know :lol3
  13. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    he is there ,he hurt his neck only did a coupla laps
  14. wiseblood

Oddometer:

Comon'... it's a long silly season. We might as well have some fun. :D
  15. bingbong

bingbong Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  16. DC2wheels

DC2wheels Castle Anthrax troll Supporter

Oddometer:
    So Crash is reporting that Sykes (Kawi) and Laverty (Aprilia) on RACE TIRES were very close to NH on time at Jerez. And until the second day of testing, Sykes was faster than the MotoGP Duc.

Audi, you listening? Right there you could save millions. Buy a few WSBK spec Kawasakis, paint them red and you will probably finish closer to the podium in 2013. :lol3

Pretty flippin sad, eh?

As of right now, the 2 Honda and 2 Yamaha factory bikes are going to leave the rest of the field like they are standing still. IMHO
  17. WSobchak

WSobchak Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  18. Skowinski

Skowinski opposable thumbs

Oddometer:
    Soooo... the world superbikes and the CRT's aren't much different in performance. Still don't get the point of the CRT's, aside from adding bikes and riders to the grid, they are just expensive fancy machines that are no better than a WSBK. If MotoGP is headed the way of CRT's then it may as well just dissapear.
  19. 5th-Elefant

5th-Elefant Long timer

Oddometer:
    CRTs are not 'no better than a WSBK' they're in a lower state of tune than WSBK. More like BSB.
  20. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    They should remove the engine useage limitations for CRT, get them making the same sort of power that the SBKs do, then they would be mixing it up with the prototypes.