WARP v3.0

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by DSM8, Apr 22, 2007.

1. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    So WARP 3 was upon us and plans had to be made for the trip.

Due to the 640 being out of commision I took the DRZ up for the weekend.

Leaving early Friday morning what should have been a total of three hours drive ended up taking more like seven.

Between the rain on the freeways, snow over the grapevine and generally displeasurable weather conspired to make my drive a pain the ass, nothing like what those that were riding in had to endure.

Once camp was set up came finally hooked up with Rider914.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Saturday say the weather clear up. We took a circuitice route to Rancho Margureta which we rode from Bakersfield back up to the Kern Platue.

[​IMG]

One the way we heard about some really great road, ended up getting to herd come cattle.

[​IMG]

Finally got to the dirt and took a nice little side road to the river, was a dead end but the ride in and out was pretty good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The other two player, Rider914 and C-Dub

[​IMG]

Finally on to the start of Rancho

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Passed a few old ranches

[​IMG]

Couple passing shots

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At one point we run into some other riders coming up the same route.

[​IMG]

It is decided since they have street tires they are going to seek out their own route, cant wait to hear that ride report.

So after making it around one locked gate we run through a few trees and some single track.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Back onto the main drag.

[​IMG]

Then got into some realy neat riding conditions.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Where we came accross another one of these...

[​IMG]

So it is decided lets have the dirt bike go around first....yea thats a good idea...note the non vertical ratio of the bike in question

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then it was the big bikes turn, they made it look easy since I already showed them the way...

[​IMG]

Then the last guy went

[​IMG]

This was the end of the road, back to camp.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So Sunday morning packed up for the ride back.

SFMoto Girl all packed up and ready to head back up north. Course we were told there was not going to be much rain in the morning, boy were they wrong...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    The first half was looking really good!! :thumb till... the snow appeared :eek1 Yikes! Thanks for posting. :lurk
  3. ErrinV

ErrinV D Boon!

Oddometer:
    Didn't take many pics this year. Rain kept the camera in for most of the trip up.

Meeting up at the Shell station.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A crash on Bouquet Canyon

[​IMG]

A dropped 640

[​IMG]

Eatpasta's first time on Bodfish/Caliente Rd.

[​IMG]

Same for Buen Feelings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rider914 arrives

[​IMG]

Buen Feelings gets a lesson on gear packing compliments of the 650s exhaust.

[​IMG]

Saturday morning ice on everything.

[​IMG]

That's all of my pics. I bailed out early on Saturday. Enjoyed an amazing ride home on a dry and empty Bodfish/Caliente Road. Took some powerline roads on the way to Lancaster. Rode Angeles Forest to Angeles Crest and gave some Ducati riders the business. Only stopped once for gas so no pics. I sure was glad to get off of that 640 by the time I got home. I think it's time for a 9Fiddy!

Thanks to Highermath, Honey, Gillafunk and anyone else I missed for a great weekend.
  4. com3

com3 Banned

Oddometer:
    :( :( :( looks like a FANTASTIC time that i missed out on.
  5. jimmy650

jimmy650 South Canol Racing Club

Oddometer:
    To quote Maddbrit; "My sincere thanks to Highermath, Honey and Gillafunk for doing the honors this year"
    +1:clap

Had a great time, food was great, I even won a PRIZE! We (jimmy650, jalamajohn, and KLRalph) had a great time riding down in the Jawbone area and up around Chimney Peak north of 178.

Well I forgot my camera this time...:cry
  6. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    ...was interesting.

Im all packed!! lets GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

[​IMG]

Errin took us up from Los Angeles on a really great route.

It went something like this:

Little T --> Sand Canyon --> Vasquez Canyon --> Bouquet Canyon --> Godde Hill rd --> 60th St. W --> W. Ave. K --> 90th S. W. --> Willow Springs Rd --> 58 N. --> Caliente/Bodfish Rd --> Lake Isabella blvd then off to the campage.

When I got to the gas station at 730 it was pouring, and slowly the other riders were trickling in.... :poser

ok sorry... :bluduh

Anyways we waiting for awhile hoping everyone that wanted to go was there...

[​IMG]

Buenfeelings...
    [​IMG]

C-Dub (really bad picture... sorry bro.... :dunno )

[​IMG]

I really wanted to take more pictures of the ride up but man, it was raining the entire way.

This girl spun her car off the road and up against this bank... we tried to help her, but it wasnt happenin.
    [​IMG]

It only took Errin about 30 mins to drop his bike for the first time that day. 31 mins for the second drop.... :loco he instantly dropped it again on the other side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We finally got to the campsite and it stopped raining, so we threw up our tents.... What a great site!!

[​IMG]

BMW Chef & Pitbull

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

HOW many ADV Riders does it take to light a fire??

[​IMG]

Where are we goin??

[​IMG]

I didnt get much sleep the first night - I was cold. Not to mention I kept hearing phrases from a nearby campsite on par with these following examples: (Note: these are QUOTES)

- There are many rocks here. Some are bigger than my head!

- I once smoked 16 joints while driving from Sacramento to Reno!
    ...... dood, that's like 80 miles....

- (pitch black outside) - I think I have a flashlight in my pocket...?

or, there were many of these

- Ahrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!
    Of course then off the in the distance, "arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!"

and there were a few of these as well...

- That's good Tequila.... Whoooooooooooooooooooooo!

Followed of course by a chorus of others at roughly the same time, pitch are duration...

Whooooooooooooooooooooo
    Wheeooooooooooooooooooo
    Whooooooooooooooooooooo
    Woooooooooooooooooooooooo

but what else are you going to get from a drinking trip??

This was the river we were encouraged to not fall into.

[​IMG]

I woke up in the morning to the ass-cold. Because it was ass cold... that's what I get for borrowing a sleeping bag.

I had a nice glaze of ice on my beemer. Errin had a nice glaze of ice on him KTM as well. here is Buenfeeling's GS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lovely, lovely row of GS'es! I like.

[​IMG]

BMW Chef had this strange/amazing ice pattern on his seat. I shot it.

[​IMG]

The map even froze to the table

[​IMG]

Buenfeelings had a nice glaze of ice on his pants.... someone left their stuff out. :ddog

[​IMG]

So in the morning we set out on our ride (which I was told was not only GS'able, but was a "Fire road".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We set out for the trail! The one, beautiful, warm, sunny day! Yay, I was dry for 2 hours!!

[​IMG]

NOTE: The two different gestures at hand....

:lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So we finnaly get to Rachero (Ranchario?) Rd and head in... It was beautiful.

[​IMG]

Air down

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was like this for a long time - awesome dirt road with little places to play.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What the hell does "Cross country travel prohibited" mean???

[​IMG]

Now this is where the REAL fun began. We ran into the REAL riders and they told us about a locked gate...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We decided to backtrack and attempt to go around this gate by the tracks shown on the GPS'es (which I MAY NEVER DO AGAIN....) because things got really dicey. We kept going down these roads that would end or just got stupid tough.

I lost the GS on a muddy patch. Note to seld: Bald Anakees are BAD in the mud.

[​IMG]

The poor girl. You can actually see the soft spot where I hit the front tire, then gassed to try and save... textbook suck.

Not a bad spot to dump it anyways... pretty.

[​IMG]
    Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

[​IMG]

Pee break.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So then it started to get really bad. We somehow got onto this 4x4 trail that bikes over 300 pounds have no f*%$ing business being on....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was pretty though...

So we started to decend this trail and it kept getting tougher and tougher.

This is an easy section..

[​IMG]

This is a slightly harder section...

[​IMG]

After a little while of this we all realized we were dedicated to this trail regardless.... There was no way in hell my GS was going to make it up any of this BS..... so we just kept deceding this trail ( I think it was called black gulch or something like that....)

I kept getting nervous at looking at these long, loose, steeper than hell, rutted and damm near impossible decents...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My GS, taking a break from getting destroyed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didnt get any pics of the really hard parts because I didnt want to stop and was too tired to walk back. I remember I took this next pic after a particularly tough bit, and found a shady spot,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I must have dropped her five time yesterday....I was so tired from this ride I couldnt pick her up any more.... I just barely got her back up after this one. I hurt myself a bit on this fall. I hit the ground/rocks and slid quite a bit.

[​IMG]

I wish I had more pics because this was a trail I WOULD NOT have done with my Jeep.... it was really stupid. I got the GS in the air a few times and landed really, really hard in another rut and I swear to god I taco'ed the front wheel, or ruined the front forks but the bike was fine.

To be totally honest, I thought we were going to be camping up there. I was getting nervous about the whole thing. I had this picture in my mind of the trail just ending at the bottom of some hill. But low and behold there was an end to the trail and it was one of the toughest parts.

I spent half the day dragging the skidpate, the jugs, and falling and the bike runs like a clock.

[​IMG]

On Saturday night, it rained and I woke up to my ass being wet. I then realized everything in my tent was wet. Boots, socks, sleeping bag.... So I got up, packed and left. I was pissed and I didnt sleep well, not to mention sore as hell....

[​IMG]

Almost back to Tehachapi...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went to go see the Tehachapli Loop... It was cool

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got breakfast in Tehachapi again, and left for home....

Willow Springs, near Lancaster...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

anyways, it was a pretty awesome trip. I guess next year Ill bring less stuff so people will stop making fun of me.... maybe I can find a dirt bike to bring next time????

7. GillaFunk

GillaFunk I use profanities

Oddometer:
    VERY NICE Report EatPasta. FUCK! And I didnt even really meet you this time. What a bummer. Sure looks like you enjoyed yourself. Im about ready to start washing 4 days of dirt off of my body so I'll post my limited pics later. Im TOTALLY riding with you guys next time. That dirt looked PERFECT. :thumb
  8. ErrinV

ErrinV D Boon!

Oddometer:
    Hey Eatpasta. That looks like a great ride you had on Saturday. Would've liked to be there. That looked like 640 country. Hope you didn't do any more damage to your back.
  9. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:

means stay on the marked trails/roads, no blazing new routes.
  10. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    If that is the 4X4 road that ends at the latched gate on 178, I am very impressed. Had my own battle with it on Friday. The last rutted, torn up steep, with big rocks hill is a killer. Modified the pedals on both sides of my 650, don't how got through with your jugs intact.
  11. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    I dont know.... there were two small gates that had a sign that said 'please keep gates shut' and some sign about the trail being maintained by some four wheel club. Either way Im so sore I could barely get off the bike when I got home..

Funk!!!

I had a few beers and while you were passing out shirts, I totally forgot to introduce myself. So, we'll have to go riding next time for sure. I can teach you how to drop a BMW.

:thumb
  12. com3

com3 Banned

Oddometer:
    great pix/report, eatpasta! :rayof i grew up in that area (even lived in that juvenile forestry camp in kernville nearly right across 155 from your campground for a little while. keke).... done most of those dirt roads on my bicycle and/or dirtbike as a kid.
  13. sito

sito Long timer

Oddometer:
    EATPASTA is nuts!

I had know idea a GS could do that kinda shit!:ea:huh I had a great time with you guys! I have to admit I was getting very nervous being out there on those road(goat trails). Then we started going down roads that I knew I couldn't get back up on my 950 let alone try to get a 300lb+GS back up! I thought we were screwed!:yikes All we needed was one closed gate or trail we couldn't get down and we were camping:kumbaya Eatpasta was the man that day! I keep waiting for him to say, "ok this trail I can't make!" but the words never came. He just kept on going! I want to thank all the guys I road with you guys were great to ride with. We all just met and I always felt you guys had my back! I'd ride with you guys any day! I had a great weekend and can't wait till next year!
  14. com3

com3 Banned

Oddometer:
    450+lbs :D
  15. MaddBrit

MaddBrit meh

Oddometer:
    Great pics guys!

:thumb

What is about those narcoleptic GS's?

There were a lot of flashy digi cameras at that campsite, so come on bring on the rest of the pics...

:lurk
  16. sickboy

sickboy lonewolf

Oddometer:
    Yup, I'm pretty sure that was the trail.

I connected with these guys on Saturday morning, thinking three big bikes with street-biased tires would make for a fun, but probably relaxing ride for me on my KTM 525 w/ knobbies. You see, rally rides + me = emergency room...I am still recovering from a knee surgery from a KTM rally in NV, and prior to that separated my shoulder at a Death Valley rally.

So, I told myself I would take it easy this time out...I even deliberated in bringing out the K12R, but opted for trucking out the 525 due to rain.

As EatPasta described the ride started out really mellow. Smooth dirt road for miles. Great for practicing my dirt-tracking skills and wheelies. But after the locked gate, our chosen detour trail quickly turned into something much more interesting for me on the 525, but how these guys with street tires got throught this stuff is completely beyond me. At one point, I was slowly putting down a very rutted downhill, and EatPasta flew by me on that big German pig, riding it like it was a 250! Super impressive. I guess when you have no choice but to continue you tend to figure it out!

Great ride. Looking forward to more!
  17. GillaFunk

Oddometer:
    Ok...the few pics I have. GOD my camera batterys dont last!

Oly (Oleeeeeeeee) assuming his FAVORITE postion as we depart Chez Oly friday morning.
    A little tip:deal , DONT ever stay at Oly's house, if you bring in your change of clothes he TAKES them for himself and tells you the entire weekend at WARPED he says they are HIS pants. What a tail-gunner
    [​IMG]
    Capt. Huggie
    [​IMG]
    The Ladies; Oly, BillP, and Combat Russel :thumb departing "Chicken Pot Pie, or whatever the cafe was called
    [​IMG]
    I got tired of waiting for the slow ass six fiddy's so I put the GS into gear and made my way up to GreenHorn all by my lonesome
    [​IMG]
    "Which way do we go George, which way do we go????"
    (Oly,I dont ever again want to hear that I need a 4th pole for that dammed tarp. All you get is three, deal with it)
    [​IMG]
    Chez GillaFunk
    (Nice hat BillP[you homo[)
    [​IMG]
    The Moring of the freeze.......
    [​IMG]
    After riding down Jawbone and through Red Rock OHV area (and getting smoked by some little 250cc dirt bikes) ITSATDM and I arrived for a drink at the Randsburg Ghost town.
    [​IMG]
    ....and yours truly and my 'dirt bike' atop that road where the big ass pipe runs down the hill accross from the campground.
    [​IMG]

Thanks to all who helped to get WARPED v.3 going, and Im glad all could attend. Too bad so many litte wuss wanna-be ADV Riders didnt show up b/c of the weather (Thats some WEAK shit), I think your in the wrong riding group. Try the Hardley motorcycle club.

Sorry to see the few 'hard-core' riders like Britt show-up, but end up leaving early cause of a cold. That was a bummer.

For all of those who won the swag, dont forget to send your love letter 'Thank you's' to the propper donators. I wont be doing MINE cause some winey chick complained and wined about "I didnt win anything" so she got my cargo-net. :boid Fucking nOObs

:deal And those who ordered shirts and didnt show up and forced me (er rather Capt Huggie) to haul them back home.....you have FOREFITED your shirt; No show, no shirt :lol3

:hide
    Just kidding
  18. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    umm, 450 lbs, not including 9 gallons of gas...crash bars.. zega hardware...and a 250lb noob...

:ricky
  19. GillaFunk

Oddometer:
    9 Gallons? :lol3 :lol3 :lol3 Is this some mystery fantasy tank you have?
  20. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    ok 8, but it feels like 9...

:dunno