No Problems - Good News! Serously? Well, Mostly!

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Retired-N-Roamin, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Retired-N-Roamin

Retired-N-Roamin Retired and Roamin

Oddometer:
    As Gomer used to say - Surprise-Surprise-Surprise! :D:D:D And I guess all's well that ends well.

Sooo... Some months ago I started researching my next bike. I started looking and lurking on the various forums for the different brands and models.

I (at first) thought that I really wanted an RT. As time went on I came to know that an RT wasn't quite right.

Then I came here - advrider - and started looking at all the GS articles. It seemed that the GS was more what I needed for the types of riding I hope to do in the future.

I'd spent the fall over in Spain. Yes, I missed all of the political TV commercials and all of the slobbering talking heads. It was so great that I'm going back in early spring. No, not missing the political crap, but the scenery and the woman!

So... as soon as I returned to the Sacramento area I started looking for a bike. A&S had a nice looking bike (this thread) and after some advice from the inmates I bought the bike. Heck, I'm even in contact with the previous owner.

Anyway, the bars weren't positioned for maximum comfort - so a quick trip to A&S and some risers/bar backs got them much better positioned.

At 80mph the air striking me in the chest wasn't pleasant. It might be OK in the summer when it's a pleasant 80º. But in the 40º-50º temps here in NCal that blast does not cut it!

So... More research on here about windshields and other things to redirect the windflow. At first I was going out to CalSci in West Sacramento. Then a middle of the night thought took me toward the full-meal-deal that the Aeroflow Half-Fairing offers.

There were some potholes in the 'mount the fairing brackets' road that I had to navigate. The mounting brackets bolt to the same bolts that hold the oil cooler. This particular bike had only one screw holding the oil cooler tight to the bike itself.

I could not move the oil cooler enough to even locate the missing mounting hole. And no, I did not try putting any hair there! :rofl

So I took the beak off and it turns out that (IMO) manufacturing tolerances bit. The left side oil cooler hose was just a couple mm short of being ideal. This meant that at one time or another one of the previous (3) owners could not get the screw to match the mounting hole and just gave up, using the right side bolt only.

Another hiccup - the Aeroflow instructions tell us that we need 50mm bolts to secure both the windshield brackets and the oil cooler. The instructions suggest - hint - allude to the fact that the required bolts are either 1) already on the bike holding the oil cooler or 2) included with the rest of the mounting hardware.

Sadly, neither were true. The OEM bolt as only about 25-30mm. And the required 50mm bolts were not part of the kit.

Did you know that Lowes has a great selection of stainless steel bolts and screws? Only issue is that they have none in metric sizes. So zinc plated will have to do.

And I suppose you already know that to remove the beak you have to take off the turn signal stalks? Well, no one told me that those dam-n covers are as fragile as thin shelled eggs. Yeah, I broke two of 'em. Happy to say that A&S must sell a bunch as they had 'em in stock.

So, waiting for the covers to be delivered I had some other business and didn't finish the windshield project until earlier today (12/31).

Everything is all back together and of course I HAD to take a test ride. Not a long ride, but on one short straight I hit a 110mph. No wind on the chest. No helmet buffeting. No real indication of the speed - no noise from the bike. Sure happy this was a rural-ish road so that the LEO's weren't nearby.

Suffice to say I love it! Plenty of breeze to keep the visor clear of fog, but also comfortable enough for long rides in low temperatures that we have now.

One thing... When researching my next bike I saw lots of pictures of BMW bikes with RADAR and Laser detectors mounted. On RT's I can see the need, but my thoughts ran along the idea of 'On a GS? Really?" These are supposed off-road bikes and they don't go all that fast - do they? Well, after my short test ride today I can attest that not only will they exceed the posted speed limit, but do so with some alacrity! :clap:clap:clap

I'm baby sitting the 4 grands tonight so son & DiL can go out for the first time in 8 years! But tomorrow!

Tomorrow - 1/1/13 - I've got a nice ride plotted through the gold country east of Sacramento. Lots of twisty roads and a forecast of a sunny 50º by noon-ish. You gotta know where I'm gonna be!

Ride safe - and try to stay somewhere near the posted speed limit!

2. Traveling QMS

Traveling QMS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So when do we get the pictures?

A GS of any sort may not be that impressive on paper, but it is more than able to get you arrested most any where. :clap
  3. weerider650

weerider650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where exactly are you? I live ten minutes from A&S
  4. Retired-N-Roamin

Oddometer:
    Pictures?

New Years Day Ride will provide.

I'm babysitting the grands in Rancho Cordova right now.

2-4-6-& 7 years old - watched the ball drop in Times Square (internet) and now they're in bed and the house is QUIET! :clap:clap:clap

Going up toward Angles Camp on Jan 1 and will find a suitable place for a picture or six.

5. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    There's LOTS of awesome roads in your area. One of my favorites is Salmon Falls road, taking off from the 50 as "El Dorado Hills Road"

Taking the 49 all the way down to Angel's Camp?

A&S are good peeps!
  6. PatSmith

PatSmith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sent you a pm.
  7. Spaggy

Spaggy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been thinking about going the Aeroflow route. I'll be watching to see what the verdict is. Sounds positive so far. BTW, the blue and white is sweet, almost as sweet as the bumble bee.
  8. Retired-N-Roamin

Oddometer:
    Replied
  9. Retired-N-Roamin

Oddometer:
    OK - Pics from the ride today - 1/1/13

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Aeroflow (for me) is PERFECT!!:clap:clap:clap:clap Any speed between 30 and 90, the Aeroflow offered complete protection from the wind.

I'm 6' and slim. I can see over the top with no problem. I followed the size guidelines on their website.

On my 85 mile ride this afternoon the ONLY time there was any serious wind buffeting was in traffic on a 4-lane and vehicles were traveling in the same direction. Their disturbed air cause some slight amount of buffeting.

In clear air there was only an occasional buffet - is that a real thing? Anyway, there's a pocket of still air that my upper body sits inside. There is moving air striking my shoulders, and arms. Moving my hand around there is a strong stream of air over the cylinder heads that strikes my shins. Another strong stream of air comes up in front of the forks. The air near the tank seems to be quiet, but there is a stream that flows across the tops of my upper thighs and crotch area. I could not determine where this air was coming from - it seemed a bit diffuse, yet it was enough to shrink 'willy' to a size not seen since I was 8 years old! :eek1 :rofl :eek1 :lol3

The slot between the windshield and the 'fairing' directs a strong stream up the backside of the windshield, relieving any low pressure areas, thus there is zero pressure forcing (sucking?) my torso forward. I sit neutral with no influence forward or backwards.

The sun was very near the horizon and I was riding directly into it. Holding my left hand up to shield my eyes I could not detect any wind at or just above helmet level. Obviously the wind stream was directed above the level of the top of the helmet.

Obviously I have not ridden in rain or heat so I cannot comment on those conditions. But in the cool winter of NCal this is a perfect solution. The bike was a real pleasure to ride with the Aeroflow.

Bottom line? For me - and YMMV - this is a spendy accessory that makes the bike all that much more enjoyable. Would I recommend it? 100% fer sure!

10. Spaggy

Spaggy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great explanation on the Aeroflow. Sounds like the ticket. As soon as my Russell saddle gets here, I'm going to see what size I need and grab one. I hope the snow melts soon here, the farkleage is getting too expensive.
  11. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I put the Aeroflow on a 1100 GS I couldn't believe how much difference it made.
    I sold my 1200LT as a result..
  12. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:

Our 4th GGrand was born 12:01AM 1/1/2013 here in Alabama.

Did you skin the front screen in CF lookalike? If so, what material did you use?
  13. Retired-N-Roamin

Oddometer:
    Nope, not me. A previous owner did that. I've added 3 bits of farkle - backrest, riser/backs and Aeroflow.

I do want to add extensions to brake and shift levers - seems my feet are not finding them easily - especially the brake! Up shifts are not an issue, it's the down shift that I'm missing.

We'll get some more miles with my ass on it before we spend any more money beyond these two.

14. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    FYI on the hardware, I never buy fasteners at the big box stores, their selection sucks. Most Ace or small mom and pop hardware stores have an aisle of fasteners that include metric stainless in almost any size you would need for a bike.
  15. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Pay attention to seat height. When I switched to a Corbin seat I had to change the top half of my Aeroflow to a shorter model (the shortest one they make) even though I'm 6'1".

If anybody needs a tall top, I got an extra.
  16. Retired-N-Roamin

Oddometer:
    Yep. Lowes @ 2.5 miles. Ace Hardware @ 9+ miles. It's cold outside, You want to get done. Which would you choose?

Seriously - I went into a hardware store in small touristy town (minor battle in the Texas Revolution) in south-central Texas. By the time I left I had spent over $75 and it took an hour to look at everything they had. Stop in the small town hardware stores if you're in your cage - you'll need it to tote the stuff you'll buy back home. :D
  17. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    I used to visit (and wonder at the stuff therein) my grandma's hardware store in Virginia, MN. The nail section alone was mind boggling....tools were fascinating (battery powered tools had not yet been invented) and the logging saws were amazing. She sold electric motors as well as white gasoline, kerosene and turpentine out of drums.

Also, she carried canning supplies and kitchen utensils, seeds and fertilizer...now that was a hardware store.