A CannonRide Around the Bend (Big Bend Region)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Glad you were able to incorporate some of the history and stories into your trip. :D

Thanks for the nudge. :lol3
  2. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    A GPX file is now available for download.

GPS thread is here.

Lots of waypoints and paths to enjoy - both dual sport and road rides.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope they prove useful! I filtered some of the tracks so they are best used at a .2 to .3 mile range.

Balmorhea Segment (42 miles)
    [​IMG]

Fort Davis, Valentine, Marfa, Alpine (164 miles)
    [​IMG]

Fort Davis to Big Bend Ranch State Park (123 miles)
    [​IMG]

BBRSP NE Loop (90 miles)
    [​IMG]

Chisa Pinto Loop (313 miles)
    [​IMG]

BBRSP Central Loops (87 miles)
    [​IMG]

117 BBRSP to Chisos Basin (116 miles)
    [​IMG]

Persimmon, Stillwell, Dagger, Old Ore, Rio Grande Village (160 miles)
    [​IMG]

Glenn Spring, Black Gap (64 miles)
    [​IMG]

River Road Loop (104 miles)
    [​IMG]

Maxwell and Maverick (110 miles)
    [​IMG]

Marathon Pena (75 miles)
    [​IMG]
  3. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    Another outstanding report. You have a knack for holding my interest as I am somewhat of a history buff as well. Oh, and on your suggestion I am throwing this out there.

According to my family tree, my Great Great Grandfather was Black Jack Ketchum. He was not a kind man according to my families folklore.
  4. Cannonshot

Oddometer:

Thanks Charlie! Glad you enjoyed the history. Thanks for sharing about Ketchum!

That is pretty interesting that you are related to Black Jack Ketchum. He certainly had a colorful life.

"On August 16, 1899, Tom Ketchum, supposedly knowing nothing of the July 11 hold-up which ended in the death of his brother Sam, single-handedly attempted to rob the same train again at the same place and in the same way that he and Sam and others had robbed it just a few weeks earlier. The train conductor, Frank Harrington, saw Tom approaching the moving train. He recognized him, grabbed a shotgun, and shot Tom in the arm, knocking him off his horse. The train continued, and the next day a posse came out and found Tom beside the tracks, badly wounded. He was transported to medical facilities at Trinidad, Colorado, and his right arm had to be amputated. He was nursed back to health and then sent to Clayton, New Mexico Territory, for trial.

At the trial, Ketchum was convicted and sentenced to death. He was the only person ever hanged in Union County, New Mexico Territory (now Union County, New Mexico). He was also the only person who suffered capital punishment for the offense of "felonious assault upon a railway train" in New Mexico Territory (which did not become a state until 1912).

Ketchum was executed by hanging in Clayton. By freak coincidence, the rope was too long, and since Ketchum had gained a significant amount of weight during his time in jail, and nobody in Clayton had any experience in conducting hangings, Ketchum was decapitated when he dropped through the trap door.

His last words were reported by the San Francisco Chronicle as: "Good-bye. Please dig my grave very deep. All right; hurry up."

A popular postcard was made showing the body. Afterwards his head was sewn back onto the body for viewing, and he was interred at the Clayton Cemetery."

[​IMG]
  5. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Did I hear my name mentioned ? :lol3
    Dam, I got to catch up here ! Leaving for Fla with the bride but I'll be back to this RR! A gem as always I'm sure Bryan !!
    :clap:clap:clap
  6. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting about my ancestor ( I think?). Like I said he was not a kind man.

Charlie
  7. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    Reading the report now, top notch as always, Bryan! :clap

-Mark
  8. 2eddies

2eddies I'm not here.

Oddometer:
    Santa Fe, New Mexico, Rocky Mountains, USA
    Hey Cannonshot,

I've been to the Big Bend area a number of times and always enjoyed it. Your extensive ride report covers almost everything a moto visitor needs to know. The only thing you don't provide is money for gas and beer! :lol3 Pretty good deal. Thanks very much for preaching the BBNP/ADV gospel! It's the right stuff...:clap
  9. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report! Just caught up tonight. I traveled many of the same places last May. I think it was much hotter then. The attendant at the campground store showed me 108°F on his thermometer. Thanks for all the interesting information to add to your pictures and fill out my own experience last year.

So many similar pictures, but I wanted to share this one.

Looks like they made some progress, though I'm not exactly sure what's been fixed.

[​IMG]

And one question; I may have missed it somewhere. What kind of camera are you using?

Jamie
  10. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    It was an intersting story to read. Thanks for sharing Charlie!

Thanks Mark! I hope you enjoy the storeis.

Thanks! The gas and beer remark gave me a good chuckle. :lol3

Glad you enjoyed it. Funny how so many of us find the same things worthy of a photograph.

I use a Nikon D60 with an 18-200 lens on it. I don't use it for much more than a point and shoot most of the time and usually don't even get off the bike to set up a shot. The lens is pretty versatile and the images have lots of pixels.
  11. keetmanaa

keetmanaa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    KUDOS!
    Just what I was looking for to prepare for a trip my son and I will make to the area this October.
    Great job!

Thanks
  12. achesley

achesley Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    I don't know how I miss your report back in March but have super enjoyed reading it the last few days. Makes me want to go back, but, of course, in the winter, on the KLR. And, not in, June on a BMW R11GS. :lol3 In fact a ranger stopped me on any ore road and asked me to get back on the main roads being as I'm riding solo and, as it was out of season and they didn''t patrol those roads much in the Summer and if I had a problem, I would probably be dead before they found me. I thanked him and did so. :evil:clap:clap:clap:clap
  13. keetmanaa

keetmanaa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Your outstanding thread, that included a description of your ride down Pinto Canyon, got us to include it on our motorcycle trip to Big Bend country a week ago. We rode our V-Stroms from the Marfa side to Ruidoso and had a ball (once we dropped our tire pressure to 28 psi).
    Thanks for the info and photos.
  14. keetmanaa

keetmanaa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My son and I were V-Stromming between Alpine and Marathon, running along side a train hauling strange (to us) flat cars. These cars had a structure on one end that had a large belt or truss suspended between two uprights. It looked like something you'd put under a horse to take strain off its legs. In Marathon we saw many more on a siding.
    Anybody know what these cars are used for? Unfortunately we didn't think to use our phones to take a picture
  15. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Glad it proved useful! I try to help the next guy as far as planning goes.

Thanks Andy! It certainly is a great area to visit - even several times. Good advice about not riding alone in the desert. :D

Thanks! I'm glad you had a great trip and got to enjoy Pinto Canyon. There is so much great stuff to see and experience in that area. I probably need to get back down there myself. :D
  16. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Friend and fellow ADVer 4-s-hsky just took a trip to Big Bend using the GPX and material in this thread. He found a new barrier gate on the NE loop in BBRSP and thoughfully sent me a GPS track segment with the new barrier and the go-around track. I integrated that change into the GPX for that region which is now posted as revision 1. The ranger indicated the barrier was not temporary. Thanks for helping to keep the information current Terry!

[​IMG]
  17. Skitch

Skitch Riding the range

Oddometer:
    Headed back there in about a month. Plan to review this write up one more time before the trip. Thanks again for all the details.
  18. DarkRider

DarkRider Curiously refreshing

Oddometer:
    Amazing report Cannonshot - I just got turned on to it by a friend as my work may relocate me closer to the area (thank god!). I've been there 4 times - first time with my 70yo dad riding pillion on my 1150GSA. I've guerrilla camped at Chisos...carried on occasion, yet I've never felt truly scared anywhere in the region (even at the Terlingua Chili Festival!). As long as you respect the land and people, they tend to leave you alone. That may have changed in the last 2yrs (since I was last there), but the place is so desolate, it'd be pretty tough for an inmate to find his way into trouble unless he/she was looking for it.
  19. BlazerRalph

BlazerRalph n00b

Oddometer:
    Great RR, very educational.:clap
  20. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    You are welcome. Glad it is proving to be a helpful resource.

Thanks! Like most places, best to be aware.

Thanks. Glad you found it entertaining!