Bike Holiday Adventurer

Oddometer:
    topic of helmet's just got what i ordered from a seller on amazon
    loool what a pos do not ever buy any helmet for under $80/100
    fit's crappy smells like gas :puke1lol crap material just garbage dont want
    to spend $$$ to send it back prob air it out and use it as back up or
    for any girl that wants a ride:D i think i goofed up big time on other
    stuff too oh well lessons learned big thanks to wiseblood bro and schwartz
    for the offer . older bike gs850 i would prob drop it then would not have a clue how to fix it
  3. BushwickKLR

BushwickKLR Long timer

Oddometer:
    A helmet is the last thing you want to go cheap on.
  4. DR. Rock

DR. Rock Part of the problem

Oddometer:
    actually, from a safety standpoint, full face DOT approved is plenty good enough. Doesn't have to be expensive. Beyond that, you're paying for branding, fluffery, comfort, and nonsense.
  5. Rectaltronics

Rectaltronics Barned

Oddometer:
    Hi Doc, happy new year!!!

As for any DOT full face being good enough, ideally, yes.

Unless it is one of the many brands/models which turn out to be non-compliant with the DOT (FMVSS) specifications, un-discovered until it is too late. The feds it turns out do not test every brand and model that appears on the market.

Here is a very recent case:

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/2...a-recalls-more-than-30000-motorcycle-helmets/

There are many others, most often involving no-name Chinese imports.
  6. mbishara

mbishara Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's a funny one. I caught myself laughing and my wife thought I was crazy.

Now I'm getting worried. I finally convinced her to roll with me on a longer trip (Montreal to NYC) in April and I just geared her up with jackets, pants and even an Airhawk pillion pad.

Is it that crazy in NYC for bikers? Should I be worried since we're not accustomed to some of the unexpected antics in the city?
  7. BushwickKLR

BushwickKLR Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will gladly pay extra for comfort, less fogging and for the helmet not to split after an accident. I had an HJC crack on me this year...
  8. dlearl476

dlearl476 Two-bit Throttle Bum

Oddometer:
    Do you ride a MC in Montreal? I wouldn't think it would be much different, except that you don't have New Jersey drivers in Montreal.

As a recent transplant I'd have to say its intense but not crazy. Milan? Now THAT'S crazy. You just have to be aware and pro-active. Sure cabs to crazy stuff, that's why they paint the fuckers bright yellow! :lol3
    (Had one cross three lanes of traffic to pick me up on West Side Hwy and 44th the other day)
  9. DR. Rock

Oddometer:
    My original statement still stands. If you want a helmet designed not to crack no matter what, we could follow the NFL model. How's that working out for them?

Though it's not perfect, there's no where near the level of safety testing and accountability for any other type of protective head gear. Not for bicycle helmets, not football, not even construction.

Want to know if your helmet is safe, check here. Want to guarantee that it isn't a counterfeit forgery or fake?... hmmm... you're on your own there. :dunno

PS: I'm so glad we've moved past the helmet vs. no-helmet debate and instead discussing which helmet to wear! :clap
  10. DR. Rock

Oddometer:
    Happy newyear to you as well. :freaky Missed you at the Isle of Man(hattan)... What gives?

This is the recalled helmet in question:

[​IMG]

Not quite full face, is it? There's a lot of latitude between no-name Chinese imports and a Arai Corsair V RC. Even HJC makes a $500 helmet. The sky's the limit on what one can spend on a helmet. But don't fool yourselves that more money = more safety. There are loads of full face helmets that are plenty safe for under $150, even less when on sale.
  11. BushwickKLR

BushwickKLR Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure that safety was even slightly referred to originally. DOT / Snell approved is fine. A cheap helmet that doesn't fit well, fogs, has too much air noise, isn't comfortable etc... Just isn't worth it, even for short rides. Pay a little extra and get a better made helmet and your ride will be more enjoyable.
  12. mbishara

mbishara Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes it gets wild in Montreal. But because I live here it's a predictable wild.

NYC is way more populated and all of the comments about T-Boning, crossing multiple lanes to take us out got me thinking a little bit.

But, hey, isn't that part of the excitement of motorcycling to another city?

We'll be good. Can't wait to head down and listen to all of the relatives comment about my death wish motorcycle passion ;).

http://www.maged-bishara-montreal.ca/
  13. manx_20

manx_20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Of all the awsome places and great people in Canada why would you want to come to this dump? :confused:
    Well if your heart is set on it i can suggest some nice roads if you want a quiet border cross and some nice back roads.
    A friend and i rode up to montreal last summer and bummed out at oka on the beach .

Sent from my Android
  14. mbishara

mbishara Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There's a charm to NYC and NJ. Full of childhood memories of visits to family and friends.

The ride is part of the enjoyment for me. For my wife it's the destination but I'm hoping to interest her in the ride aspect of the journey as well.

If you can suggest some roads then it would be great! Even if it's a GPX file....

http://www.maged-bishara-montreal.ca/
  15. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Are you referring to Campbell Hall or NYC? :lol3

NYC is one of the most exciting places on earth. A little gritty? Maybe, but that's part of it's charm.

Welcome, and I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay in the city.
  16. manx_20

manx_20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    for the sake of keeping you married I think i great compromise between not dragging the ride out for her and still being a great ride is the Rt 30 (US) / Rt 138 (CA) border crossing (which by the way has the cutest border guard who even let us take some pictures there without too much hassle) and it appears that only a few people ever go thru there. You can take rt 30 pretty much all the way down past Albany and into the northern Catskills. It will take thru some great little towns and its very scenic. You'll also pass be the Adirondack Museum which is awesome. You can take rt30 as far down as Margertville before it really starts taking you in the wrong direction and there which roads you take depends on how adventurous you're feeling. You can either take rt 47 through Frost Valley or the faster rt 28 and check out places like Phoenica.

And if you find yourself nearing Woodbury Commons feel free to drop by. The fridge is always full of beer.

17. manx_20

manx_20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is our path. Up thru NY and down thru VT
    [​IMG]
  18. Looksgoodinblack

Looksgoodinblack Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmm that's the type of a trip I would love to take LGIR so she can gain more confidence in her riding. How many days of riding was it?
  19. mbishara

mbishara Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. manx_20

manx_20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That whole trip was 4 days of pure fun :clap As soon as its starts warming up again its off to Quebec City next