Looking for some information for Building /buying L Link forks

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by pops, Jun 21, 2013.

1. pops

pops Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi.
    I am after a l link front end for a kle 500 sidecar setup .I would look at buying any L Link forks as i could modify them to fit the kle 500.
    Or some information on who i could contact to have a l link built for us .The wife can not ride her sidecar for very long as the
    steering is to heavy for her .
    We live in Australia.

Thanking you Ian
  2. choccoloco

choccoloco Cabin Fever....

Oddometer:
    Ian check your PM
  3. pops

pops Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clapThank you

4. brstar

brstar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pics? pics? pics?:lol3
    Howz the back?:huh
    Cheers
  5. Pokie

Pokie Love, build, ride. Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. pops

pops Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pokie we live in Australia .

Hi Bruce. I am waiting to go back under the knife again with the back .They might fix it this time :deal.
    I am going to have a go at making our own L Link for the KLE 500.
    Just getting the parts together I should be able to start the build soon .
    I picked up a 09 honda st1300 the other day so the wifes KLE 500 might have to wait untill i put a sidecar on my st1300. I am sure Cathy will not mind .:D

[​IMG]

Cheers Ian
  7. brstar

brstar Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like it. :clap
    Sending a PM
  8. bbjay

bbjay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    hey pops

I made my own leading links for my v strom , not that hard really just time consuming , I think you and i were looking at them at pooncarie last year down on the river ,, I will post some pics up tomoz at work

Bernie
  9. MotoJ

MotoJ Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer:
    Is Lowell still alive? He was in a bad way, last I heard. I got no responses to emails I sent a year or two ago.
  10. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    Yes he is alive. Chris you need to chime in here :-)
  11. bbjay

bbjay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

A couple of shots at tack up stage

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I actually rode it like that in the shot above , I made all the shock mounts adjustable , Also could adjust the trail ended up with about 10mm of trail all good ,, The dog likes it

[​IMG]

Works well when i got rid of them chinese shockers and put some konis on and that was that

Cheers
    Bernie
  12. pops

pops Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Bernie
    What would we do without photos :D

[​IMG]
    The L link looks very good. I was very impressed with your whole build Very Nice
    [​IMG]

I would have trouble making the lower swing arm at home.
    That is nice work bending that :clap[​IMG]

My pipe bender is not that flash .Or me that skilled:1drink

Is there a bearing at the bottom of the fork legs?
    Hope to catch up again at top hut this year .
    The wife is riding her sidecar to top hut this year ,if i have it ready for her by then .
    More photos of 2012 top hut here http://s47.photobucket.com/user/pop...rt=3&o=33&_suid=13723326705780970242478373859

All the best
    Ian
  13. bbjay

bbjay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    G,day Ian

The bottom of the fork leg has a bronze bush and a sleeve for a bearing , was going to use a needle roller but change my mind at the last minute , Thinking if the needle roller shits itself in the middle of someplace , or old bush just keeps on going , That reminds me i have to drill the bolt for a grease nipple

My nephew has a swisho tube bender that was how i bent the tube , he had just the correct size former for strom wheel , I can ask him how much to bend another one if you like .
    The tube is seamless i get from a roll cage maker up the road from work 11/2 dia x 1/8 wall , I bent it with around 2inchs spare then trimmed it down to length for the wheel spindle bush , A little bit of tweeking required

Dont forget the wheel spindle needs to be either level with the pivot point or slightly above , That is why i bent the ends up a little on the swingarm

Top hut is down in the calender again , One of the best rides/weekends i have done , Was just clancy and i so we moved along just nice , Although if the old fox has got his big 14 goin i might not be able to keep up

Regards
    Bernie
  14. Clancy

Clancy Long timer

Oddometer:

The old fox might be getting a bigger bike but he's not likely to be getting the balls to match and will probably still ride like an old woman:wink::D

Sorry for the hijack Ian.
  15. pops

pops Long timer

Oddometer:
    :rofl:roflYou would still leave me behind Clancy.
    Looking forward to seeing your sidecar when it is done.
    Cheers Ian
  16. pops

pops Long timer

Oddometer:
    It Has been a while since i looked at Cathys kle 500 sidecar :D.
    Today I had a play to try to working out how to just move the front wheel forward 35-40mm to try and ease the steering effort for her. Cathys last ride on the kle did not end well ,she turned the sidecar over when the bars where ripped out of her hands when she hit a large rock or what ever it was on the road she hit . Cathy has not been on it since as she said it is to hard for her to handle the way it is now .
    As I have never made a front end like this before all input would be much appreciated, before i start making it .
    What do we think .
    Good or Bad ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was going to try and make a L Link for the kle 500 but i would like to try some thing like this as it is only a few bits of plate steel and a bit of welding and drilling . I already have every thing to build the L Link .
    Big thank you goes to Bernie :clap.I think the gear we now have to build the L Link could be put to a better used on our 1300 ,when i get around to building it .
    All the best
    Ian
  17. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Ian

If you are going to go down that path I think you will also need to make a fork brace as well to reduce fork twist..... but I could be wrong. Others correct me if I'm wrong please.

Hasn't TD got something like that on his Strom? PM him.

Are going to the sidecar gathering at Mannahill?

Cheers

3legs.
    davebig likes this.
  18. warkshop

warkshop uncbob Supporter

Oddometer:
    With all due respect and knowing how well the Ernie Earle's forks work,,,,,,why doesn't anybody ever even consider modified triple clamps for reduced trail. The good folks at Side Effects (sidecars.ca) (Brocolli and Pete) in the land of the Canuck have had great success with that approach. I have used them myself and was very pleased. Yes you do not get all the benefits of the Earle's but you do get easy steering,,,is that not ususally the main 'need'?

I know for a fact you have clever folk where you live to accomplish this feat at home. Some welding,,,some re-machining. hummm? :D
  19. warkshop

warkshop uncbob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Careful with the leading links. Yes, they work but it is critical to spead the new and larger stress forces over a large area (larger than your images propose i'd say) or you could end up with one of both the lower legs snapping off, just image how much fun that could be:eek1:eek1:eek1

Think about modified triple clamps as an alternative,,,yes?
  20. DonD

DonD Retired guy

Oddometer:
    Last I spoke with Brock, they're not doing any tree mods. Had a billet set made by Machine and Design in IL. Nice work.