Western TAT on a Super Sherpa

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Rx4Pain, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Rx4Pain

Rx4Pain Do something... Even if it's wrong.

Oddometer:
    Docking Pilot....I looked back at my texts I sent daily...Battle Mountain to Lakeview was our longest day...299 miles, about 130-140 on pavement/reroute. That WAS a long day!!

Ken
  2. Rx4Pain

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback to those of you that enjoyed the report!

Ken
  3. Piston

Piston Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really enjoyed your report!
    I did the eastern section of the TAT a couple years ago with two other friends and had a blast. We took a different approach to the ride as most, we set out with no time limit whatsoever. One day I think we only rode 40 miles :D
    We took 2 weeks to make it to CO from TN, and although it's considered the "boring" half of the trail, we really had a great time and some good adventure. Your ride report makes me want to finish the trail even more than I did before!

Thanks for taking the time to write it up, it's a very well written and descriptive ride report. :thumb
  4. arroyoshark

arroyoshark Needing some space

Oddometer:
    Great ride !! Good report too, w forthright comments about your experiences. All who have ridden the western TAT relate to it in their own way, often in the context of what kind of country they are used to riding

The link to this report was forwarded to me by a fellow in Conn. who rode the TAT w me in 2009 - on his super sherpa. I've ridden from Colorado to Oregon on the TAT a few times and, being from New Mexico, I have to say I found the Nevada section of the TAT the biggest hoot of the ride. I've always ridden this route in July, which produces daily temps of around 100 degrees in Utah & Nevada. Staying hydrated is as important as having fuel for the bike.

I prefer smaller bikes as well for these rides - along w packing extra light. I've always have ridden a DRZ400 out and back.

Good show ! Glad you decided to ride the TAT.
  5. Buckeye Red

Buckeye Red n00b

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyed reading your R/R and as others have already said, the photos as well. I was also happy to see your comments on your gear and your bike. Hope someday to ride the TAT on my XT225. Thanks... Steve
  6. Rx4Pain

Oddometer:
    Buckeye...we had a friend lined up to go with us, but he was unable to do so. He would have been riding an XT-225. After doing this trip, I can say that the 225 would be fine on a trip like this...just bring some extra fuel. That XT-225 is a mule!!

Ken
  7. MountainsandRivers

MountainsandRivers loves dirty things!

Oddometer:
    Great Ride Report! Thanks for that, it was a fun read with awesome photos! i had heard about this adventure from Randy when we were doing the Monkeybutt 500 ride in mid August. Glad to see it all worked out well. Also, the road you mentioned forgetting the name to after Ophir Pass was probably the Dunton road, a few miles after you came over the top of Lizard Head Pass on Hwy 145...
  8. Buckeye Red

Buckeye Red n00b

Oddometer:
    Rx4Pain... Thanks for the info regarding the XT225, I have got to get mine off the pavement and onto some dirt soon...
    Steve
  9. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
    Just read the whole thing this a.m. Great report & pics. Also good advice on the stop & smell the roses thing. Thanks for taking us along.
  10. Rx4Pain

Oddometer:
    Tanks!

And Mountain...it WAS the Dunton RD! I can barely remember some of the places we were! It is like a dream now! Haha

Ken
  11. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    :thumb

Love seeing these trips where smaller bikes do just as well as a $20K BMW.....after all, its the "adventure" of the ride, not the bike it takes place on.
  12. Rx4Pain

Oddometer:
    Me too! And we saw a few of those rather pricey bikes at the top of California Pass! I think we were having more fun!

Ken
  13. bastimentos

bastimentos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey,

Fantastic RR, appreciate the writing, and the gear reviews etc, and congrats on showing that small bikes are capable in the right hands.

That said, what separated this RR from the rest (imo) was the stunning photography, near perfect exposure in every shot, great framing - really drew me in to the story you were sharing.

Thanks again.
  14. Rey & Vann

Rey & Vann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ken,

Have you posted the video anywhere yet?

I bought a '09 Sherpa for my wife brand new in 2011. She's probably ridden it 25 miles, I've run it up to 2k now on a few short weekenders to Gifford Pinchot.

It is a great bike, and I've bought another one, a 2003 for my brother in California. After several month's of telling him the benefits of the Sherpa over other DS bikes, I sent him the link to your report. Easy decision for him to make after he read your assessment of the Sherpa... THANKS!

Anyway, I'm pretty close by in Elma, between Olympia and Aberdeen. If you guys want to add a rider on a day trip to the Olympic Nat'l Forest, Cap Forest or Gifford Pinchot, let me know, be glad to go for a ride some time.

Regards,
  15. Rx4Pain

Oddometer:
    Ok, I created a You Tube account and uploaded the slideshow/video we put together to chronicle our little adventure.

It is in 16:9 format as it was made to play on televisions. I dont know how clear it will be being converted for You Tube, so keep it less than full screen. If you have a decent sound system with your computer, turn it up a bit as there is an "out take" at the very end of the video that requires a little bass to get the full effect! The out take is after the "credits".

Otherwise, sit back and enjoy the trip!

Here is the link: http://youtu.be/cul6v9N4uDo

Ken
  16. riverman

riverman Life is great !

Oddometer:
    Great report Ken. I just came across it today and read it from start to finish, including the video. Fantastic trip and story. I don't recognize the brand of pressure suit you have on. Can you let me know what it is?
  17. JDowns

JDowns Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer:
    Hi Ken,

Nice Video! Small bikes=big fun! 38,000 miles and my Sherpa is still running sweet. Tough little bike.

Kindest regards,
    John Downs
  18. Ripshod

Ripshod Prym8

Oddometer:
    I just found this report and enjoyed it very much. Thanks for taking the time to lay it all out for us and for giving us those wonderful pictures.

If you haven't yet tried the Seat Concepts upgrade, you really should before you put in a lot more miles. I have their kit on my Super Sherpa and it is wonderful. I've since taken the bike on a couple of 500 mile trips and believe it or not, never even had to stand up. It is a real butt saver. It has a 'gripper' top fabric option which is great. No more sliding forward at every stop, cramming the boys into the tank. You park your butt and it stays parked.
  19. Rx4Pain

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ripshod. I have been considering the Seat Concepts Seat for a bit, but after doing some foam work on my seat, levelling it out a bit, I am going to wait/see if my 15 dollar mod works out. I am a cheapskate!!

Ken
  20. Casper137

Casper137 When in doubt Mumble

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the RR.

The photography and your writing style were quite enjoyable.

I've been keeping my eye out for a 250 dual sport (for a short person) and the sherpa was already at the top of my list, so thanks for confirming my decision.