A Few Trips round Northumberland, England

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by TheNorthernMonkey, Sep 10, 2013.

1. TheNorthernMonkey

TheNorthernMonkey Clueless n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all, I'm new round here, and new to riding, so to get a few miles under my belt, I thought I'd travel to a few Medieval Ruins which are liberally scattered around here.

Northumberland was the location of choice for the English and Scots to fight for over 1000 years, so has plenty of sites to go around.

The first tour out was to Warkwarth Castle. I've not managed many pictures, as it was just a local ride out, and I got there just as it was closing up, but here is my XT125 infront of the gatehouse.

[​IMG]

As A dedicated fair weather only rider, I'll be updating as soon as the weather is fair again :)

NM
  2. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  3. TheNorthernMonkey

Oddometer:
    Part 2 - Edlingham Castle.

It was looking a bit grim outside, after an earlier thunderstorm, but seemed to be brightening, so I decided to risk it for a biscuit. This one was a little more tricky to find than Warkworth, in a small village near Rothbury.

I had to park up near this church, which apparently has foundations dating from 1050. The slit windows in the tower are signs of its dual use, both a church, and a strong hold in the event of raiders.

[​IMG]

The castle is only 2 minutes away, down a short path, to the castle, which was first a fortified house, which grew into a castle around 12 century, but fell into disrepair and disuse around the 17th C. as the threat of border raids diminished.

[​IMG]

It really deserves better pictures than the crappy camera in my iPhone delivers.

[​IMG]
  4. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great stuff! Keep it coming! Always good to see an interesting part of the England/Scots borderlands. The really knocked seven bells of !@#$% out of each other for a long time, didn't they? How are you finding the riding experience so far? What led you to get a bike and start going through the whole licensing process? How do you like the bike?
  5. crowe2815

crowe2815 kenoath

Oddometer:
    Keep em coming mate, photos look fine to me.
    Not sure how you will go being a fair weather rider in England though, that will limit you to a couple of days a year wont it?:rofl
  6. Wout67

Wout67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very cool.

Am I the only one expecting John Cleese to pop his head up over the side?

:lol3
  7. Velocipede

Velocipede Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. gvcrt

gvcrt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Keep em coming mate it's my favourite part of the country I'm just sorry I can't spend more time in the north east
  9. syntec4

syntec4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    Welcome and keep em coming.
  10. Zeid

Zeid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nothing says Adventure like setting off across the countryside to find a Castle.
  11. TheNorthernMonkey

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately no new updates, I was out and about yesterday, but forgot my camera, but found some fantastic lanes that will definitely need a re-visit.

If the weather is clear next weekend, a visit up the coast to holy island and lindisfarne castle might be on the cards.

In reply to bladers questions. My dad has loads of mostly vintage bikes, and has done for as long as I can remember. He is an ex motorcycle cop so there have always been bikes about. I've no idea why I decided to get one, it was a bit of a rash decision, but I'm enjoying it.

I've got the first part of my test booked for a few weeks time, so hopefully can get it out the way soon, and get rid of the fugly L plates
  12. Osprey70

Osprey70 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Northern Monkey,
    Glad to welcome you amongst the riding community. I have also only just started (18 months ago). Don't worry about the rain, it is just as fun as long as you are properly equipped. In any case, you should definitely go out occasionally in the rain because one day you will get caught out. And given sods law, that will probably be on roads you don't know etc... Therefore it is really much better to go out on wet roads beforehand to practise in a controlled environment. - just my two cents worth...
    Really like the photos, keep them coming!
    Osprey.
  13. IslandMonkey

IslandMonkey inselaffe

Oddometer:
    From one monkey to another the pictures are great and good luck with your test.
  14. TheNorthernMonkey

Oddometer:
    So the weather did clear a little, and I headed out for a short while this afternoon. If I'd realised how unpleasant riding in the wind would be, I probably wouldn't have bothered. However, in keeping with he castle theme, I headed towards Tynemouth Castle and Priory

[​IMG]

The castle was built to guard the priory, and sits on a rocky outcrop. Protected on 3 sides by cliffs

[​IMG]

The castle gatehouse dates from 1390.

[​IMG]

The priory itself is much earlier with origins around the 6th century AD, although the remains are probably from about 500 years after then
  15. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool pics, keep em coming. I only got a 2-week trip in the Highlands and loved every day. The rain days I was glad I wasn't on a bike but gear up. I live in the desert and I've only done a few rides without needing the rain gear this year. Get yourself a little waterproof duffle on there to carry things. I wouldn't go anywhere on your turf without rain gear:D
  16. TheNorthernMonkey

Oddometer:
    There is definably a trip on the cards for next summer to visit all of the Holy Grail castles in Scotland
  17. TheNorthernMonkey

Oddometer:
    I managed another trip out today, up to rothbury, and the coquet valley. My little bike isnt too font of the A1 I had to ride up for he first 15 miles or so, where there is a very liberal interpretation of the speed limit, but once the roads became more twisty, it was a lot more fun.

[​IMG]

I travelled along past simonside,

And headed towards the cheviot hills in the distance.

[​IMG]

And kept going as the roads get less road like, and more track like. Eventually turning back not far from here

[​IMG]

Heading back via the humorously named Tosson Tower, a fortified house to keep away the pesky Scottish.

[​IMG]

This helmet makes me look very serious.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The return route had an 'unsuitable for large vehicles' sign which looked promising, and didn't disappoint.

[​IMG]

Much more interesting than dodging trucks on the A1
  18. TheNorthernMonkey

Oddometer:
    I headed out of my usual stomping grounds of Northumberland,and headed down to the North Yorkshire moors.

[​IMG]
    There were miles of sweeping single lane roads, and I turned down the a little lane to this view

[​IMG]

The area is criss crossed with lanes

[​IMG]

And even more views

[​IMG]
  19. Wal2

Wal2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    great pics...and all in my home stomping grounds, nice bike too, perfect for exploring trails

feel free to call in for coffee if near Stannington...(NE61 6EB) cant miss it, theres only me there:D
  20. kwakbiker

kwakbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Up to newcastle tomorrow to visit my old man but I do like riding round Northumberland when I get chance:clap