Hawai'i

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Dirty Barber, Oct 18, 2008.

1. sfront

sfront Chaos in Motion

Oddometer:
    I like the way the moss kinda makes the log blend in to the ground.......you sadistic bastards!!!!!!
  2. Andyinhilo

Andyinhilo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am awaiting a fellow officer, so that we can go down and clear out the coastal areas due to the impending tsunami that was generated from an earthquake in Japan that measured initially 8.9. It is due to arrive at 0259, so I will be on the road shortly.

Say a prayer for the folks in Japan, too. It seems that they got hit pretty hard.

Aloha for now.
  3. Southest US Thumper

Southest US Thumper Extreme n00b

Oddometer:
    Yo Andy, thank you for the service!

I left the house at 2100 since we had troops over a Kawaihae to account for and then reported to our EOC.

We dodged the Bullet again, makes you wonder how long our luck will hold out...

Prayers to Japan and her people.
  4. Andyinhilo

Andyinhilo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hilo dodged it, but Kona did suffer quite a bit. The video of the home sinking in Kealakekua Bay was unique, to say the least.

It unfortunately looks like Japan is way worse off than originally reported.

It is just a matter of time till we get another major one here.
  5. Southest US Thumper

Oddometer:
    That's just the begining, there's another section of back to back logs that are too close to fit a bike in.

[​IMG]
  6. RichardD

RichardD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Make a ramp and have the option of jumping all the logs !
  7. Southest US Thumper

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking that option would violate some long forgotten Dept. of Foresty rule of "No Man Made Bunny Hops" in the natural (And Re-planted, Non-Native) Forest RULES....
  8. Southest US Thumper

Oddometer:
    Some Hilo Trail Riding.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nVZaul_Agd8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  9. sfront

sfront Chaos in Motion

Oddometer:
    Some good stuff there Robert! Auf wiedersehen! :freaky
  10. dsquare11

dsquare11 Someone has to live here

Oddometer:
    I moving to the North Shore in 6 weeks. Probably live in Kahuku, Laie, or Hauula.

Still trying to figure out how to get my 650GS over there. Will be shipping my F350 as well (Family vehicle). Wasn't going to take it but every guy I know from Laie told me I should absolutely take it over there as it would be perfect for hauling the family and gear around the island. Wish I could just load the bike into the truck and ship it like that but the shipping companies say no.

Anybody know the best way to ship the bike from Tacoma/Seattle?
  11. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://www.motorcycleshippers.com/index.htm

Check out the pop-up reuseable crate. You could sell iut on the Big Island on craigslist to someone moving the other way possibly. Also, the website has a phone number yoy could call to get a price to have the bike 1.picked up at your house by truck. You don't have to drain the gas or even dissconnect the battery.They roll it onto the truck, secure it, take it to the docks, put it on the boat in a special tie-down fixture, and you pick it up at the port in Hilo. get a ride trhere and you get on the bike, start it, and ride it to your place. I think it's going to be like $1400 for that.

Check into the ABF "Relocube". I was quoted $4400 door to door. You could load a motorcycle (maybe two) and some other stuff into these cubes. They drop the empty at your house. It's at ground level, so no loading ramps needed. They unload (and reload) the cube with an onboard forklift (like Home Depot). They then pick it up at your house and deliver it too your place on the Big Island. There are tiedowns inside and you use your straps.

I tried looking into the "Pods", but it looks like they don't serve the Big Island-only Oahu. Too bad, because their service is just like ABFs, but they have three sizes of Pods.

You could also get, or make, some type of pallet with tiedown eyelets and walls and a top on your own.

We're moving to HPP hopefully this year, so I'm dealing with the same thing. We don't have to take any furniture because we bought a totally furnished house even with stuff like a riding lawnmower, a ladder, dishes, silerware etc,etc,etc. It's my motorcycles, tool boxes and tools, a few firerarms (and if you are taking any you better start checking into this too-Hawaii is not too firearm friendly).

For firearm info:

http://www.hawaiipolice.com/topPages/gunRegistration.html

Mahalo, Jon
  12. dsquare11

Oddometer:
    Birdmove.. I am moving to Oahu, not Big Island. North Shore over by Polynesian Cultural Center and BYU-Hawaii.

Sounds like you are moving to the Big Island. Now have to figure out how to explore the outer islands while we are living there.

I am in Lakewood, just down the road from you. Small world.
  13. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:

Oops!! My mistake. Yes, we are moving to the Big Island, Puna district. Since you are moving to Oahu, you could use the PODS. You might check into prices on those.

Yeah, we are just off Pioneer in old town Puyallup on the flatlands near bthe fairgrounds.
    We heve never spent any time on Oahu, but have been to Maui maybe 8 times starting in 1980. We fell for the Big Island after my daughter moved there and her and her husband had our little grand daughter!! I hope to ship my Sportster and also get a dual sport bike, because there is a lot of offroad riding there.

Take care, and best of luck.

Jon
  14. rkover1

rkover1 doc Supporter

Oddometer:
    Post up what you find out.

I'm actively looking at a job in Town/Ewa. Hope to be back home there by the end of the year. I have an '06 F650GS.

doc
  15. sfront

sfront Chaos in Motion

Oddometer:
    I was looking in to shipping a bike over and these guys were by far the best deal.
    Honolulu Freight Services
    I ended up buying a bike on Oahu and having it shipped to Hilo on Young Bros.
    It was easier for me to buy a KTM that was already DOT registered than it
    was to get one to pass safety inspection in my limited time there.
    It REALLY helps to have friends there!
  16. dsquare11

Oddometer:
    OK- Honolulu Freight Service (Best customer service so far) said they would ship it port to port (meaning I crate it and drop it off at the boat and pick it up at the boat) for around $640.

I called South Sound BMW and they said they got a couple of crates, come by and get one! So I show up and they are totally helpful, got two ready for me- one heavy duty sucker that you could strap King Kong to and one half wood half cardboard but it has everything I need. I take the lighter one and they throw in a ton of straps from their waste bin that came off the original crates (generic versions of the little MC ones that cost $8 at Harbor Freight).

In the end.... I put the MC up for sale here and on CL and I'll give it a week and a half.... after that I am loading the crate into the back of the F350, rolling the bike up there, strapping and nailing it all down and driving it to the freight port to be picked up 10 days later in Oahu. I can taste the Guava juice already.
  17. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    dsquare, that sounds pretty reasonable. I'll check with them too to get rats to Hilo.

Good luck to you,
    Jon
  18. rkover1

rkover1 doc Supporter

Oddometer:
    My inquiries are heading me in the direction of Honolulu Freight Service as well. I have had estimates that have been twice what you had: the same (or more!) than shipping a car.

Good luck. Hope to see you guys on the warm shores soon!

doc
  19. EastSideSM

EastSideSM Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer:
    For what it is worth I moved to Honolulu from san Francisco several years ago. At the time shipping my 1200 Bandit was going to cost about 1/2 the value of the bike. I sold it and bought a nice DRZ SM in Honolulu. It was a great bike for the island. I ended up shipipng that back to the states when I moved back to RI 3 years ago.

I used uship.com and that worked out well. They are a consolidator and solicit bids from a number of shippers who will submit quotes.
  20. Southest US Thumper

Oddometer:
    FWIW: Hawaii is the 50th State.....