The Making of a Cross Canada Route

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Deadly99, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    First few days of Ontario route description posted :thumb
    Should have the rest of Ontario posted in the coming days, along with the optional tech sections in Ontario (8 of them).

As I am going over this I am realizing that a 2 week trip of the TCAT across Ontario would make for an excellent bike expedition. For those traveling the entire TCAT...it is my opinion that Ontario is going to be one of the highlights of the route :nod
  2. WERA456

WERA456 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    North Ga. (The site of the first major gold rush)
    Has anyone done a google map of the TCAT.

I am in the planning stages of a trip in BC. I have found that google maps works best for my planning.

I need a route from Portland OR to Jasper, the north end of the ice field pkwy. From what I can tell the BC section of the TCAT might just work.

Anyone want to comment on how tough that section is? I will have my wife with me and she preferes the easy gravel. So worried it might be over her head.
  3. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    The gpx file is free to download. You can view it using Google Earth :thumb

Manxman has the other info about the terrain
  4. Maniac Mechanic

Maniac Mechanic Stuck in Real Life

Oddometer:
    Hey guys. Sorry if I'm behind the times on this thread. Life got in the way unfortunately. Last I read a really long time ago Deadly and friends were going to publish a mapbook for sale. Checked out the gravel travel website and didn't see it so just wondering what the current status of the book is.
    Cheers guys and thanks for putting in all the effort.
  5. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    After much thought it was decided a printed book wasn't practical. Instead we wrote a route description on the website. Maps are in progress and will be bundled with the gps files for a free download (hopefully in the next version of the gps file). Each of the folks who helped create the route wrote a description of their respected section. Having this on the website, as opposed to in print, let's the description stay dynamic in case the route needs to change over the years.

Enjoy the read, the route description is now 98% complete.

Cheers
    :freaky
  6. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    We will be printing out a single road book scroll for the entire route if anyone wants one. You may need a special holder.

[​IMG]
  7. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    The geek in me is now trying to figure out how to build a bike around that being the front wheel with the tullips spaced in .5 km increments. Stand and watch front wheel for instructions. Your done the route when you no longer have a front wheel. The purpose built "TCAT Bike". The worlds first disposable motorbike, only runs for 15, 000 km's :D
  8. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:

well, theres the Gunbus:

[​IMG]

but that might not be big enough.

maybe this one:

[​IMG]

:D
  9. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:

Sorry officer I just didn't see that car.
  10. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    I must apology as I know this was already answered but to search through many pages, I hope you guy will understand and don't mind answering the question..

Would mid to late May through late June be a good time to travel the whole TCAT from east to west? Depending on my budget and if I can get to Vancouver late June, I'd like to see if I can ship bike to S.Korea. 6 weeks doable or no?

And good reason to start mid to late May is due to Iceberg sighting in eastern Canada prior to starting west.

Again, I apology if the question has been asked too many times.. but thanks in advance for answering! :thumb
  11. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    6 weeks would be a very tight timeline for the entire route. Starting in May is doable but you'd likely run into a section or two that might require skipping. Snow at elevations in BC being the notable concern in June, cold temperatures in Labrador at the beginning of May bing another. The bulk of the route would be doable though :thumb

Shoot me an email for further info if you'd like

Cheers
    :freaky
  12. WhicheverAnyWayCan

Oddometer:
    If I get a chance to ride through a snow-plowed road in the mountain as seen in front page photo then I'd definitely go for that once in a lifetime experience! :clap But thanks for pointing that out to me about it because I now remember waking up very early in the morning and see frost everywhere even on my motorcycle and tent, and that was late July in Oregon.
  13. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

The Island section road through from Woss Past Vernon Lake is now passable with a motorcycle if you don't mind skirting around a couple of logs... Here is some video of some of what I would of had to clear with my little handsaw a few weeks back:
    http://contour.com/stories/blowdown-on-the-tcat
  14. WhicheverAnyWayCan

Oddometer:
    Gunnerbuck, thanks for sharing.. wow very beautiful!! I can't wait to ride TCAT in 2015 as part of my RTW trip! :clap
  15. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Gunnerbuck!
    That was a great vid! I have spent a lot of time Quadding in the bush. When you went under the fallen trees I was checking the clearance! As you went down the trail I kept scanning the edges for bears. LOL!!
    Ride Safe....justjeff
  16. PPCLI-Jim

PPCLI-Jim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice riding jim! I am sorry I laughed at the end when you took a bath. Downed trees and mud are a difficult combination.
    Ride safe.....just jeff
  18. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Things are drying up nicely in eastern Ontario. Got out to ride a few sections...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    I like the new beemer:thumb
  20. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:

Thanks, also added a more off road orientated boxer to the stable....

[​IMG]